1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Low MPG -- Can't figure out why

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by scramjett, Jan 23, 2012.

1. scramjett

scramjett New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: 2007 Low MPG -- Can't figure our why -- Update III

He probably did. It was awhile ago though so I don't remember exactly how the conversation went. I was just more annoyed that he was focusing more on inconsequential stuff and not listening to me when I said the car was behaving abnormally.

Yes, that is still a nice feature of the K&N filters, however, as Evan pointed out and I discovered, the oil from the filter gunks up the MAF sensor. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to clean the MAF sensor every time you clean and re-oil the K&N.

2. scramjett

scramjett New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: 2007 Low MPG -- Can't figure our why -- Update: NOT SOLVED!

Hi all,

I am now officially frustrated! After my trip to SoCal over the weekend, I must report that I am still having problems. At first, it seemed like replacing the 12 V battery fixed it, but those were all relatively short trips. On the long trip, the car slipped back into its "old habits" of maintaining the HV battery at 7 bars of charge (green zone) at highway speed and very gently using the HV battery on hills and grades. Case in point, the attached picture was taken while I was half way up the south end of the grapevine (leaving the LA basin) which if I remember correctly is a 6% grade. In the past, the electric motor would pull power from the HV battery almost immediately and wouldn't stop until I got to the top, depleting it down to two or three bars. As you can see from the pic, not only is the battery NOT providing power to the motor to help with hill climb, it is in fact CHARGING itself while the engine is providing ALL of the power to go up the hill. This is at 6 bars of charge! I've only seen this behavior when the charge level is at 1 bar! I've also seen it do this on hills with the charge level at 7 bars!!

I have no idea what is going on anymore or what the problem could be. Maybe the HV battery does have bad cells? My averages for this trip were 36 MPG and 39 MPG. This was while running at 40 psi on my tires (which I had just filled up last weekend).:mad:

Does anyone have any possible idea what the hell is going on?!

PS - I apologize for the blurry picture. My wife was trying to take it from the back seat while I was driving up the grapevine and trying to dodge all of the people going 45 (not truckers!).

Attached Files:

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That does look a little odd. Was the 15mpg you average while charging up the 6% grade? At what speed? I'm curious because when I commute there is a section of road that is of similar grade and I average 20mpg-32mpg as I traverse that section while traveling at 65mph.

On the same trip as you, I maintained a speed of 80-85mph when possible then stopped for gas halfway up the north side of the grapevine and saw I had accomplished 42mpg from Davis. I could have gotten better if I was able to drive down the other side of the grapevine but our tanks don't hold that much. :(

I've experienced your HV battery charging issue a few times and it does strike me as odd. Thankfully the car never stayed that way for more than a few miles. If anyone has any ideas on things we can monitor I would be happy to help Jeff out with the use of my scan gauge.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a pretty typical pattern for an uphill drive unless it is extremely demanding, and even in those situations we see some regen going to the battery while it tries to 'ward off' drainage.

Wish I could get in the car and ride with you on this, just hard to appreciate if there's something 'off' or if it's normal or what's going on...though I tend to believe that you can appreciate subtle changes from previous experience.

That 36-39 is pretty low depending upon speed and conditions--I rarely see anything that low other than very cold weather, loaded car high speed freeway conditions (75+ MPH with quartering head winds and such).

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Scramjett, I think we should swap cars--you can troubleshoot my stereo issue that's driving me nuts and I'll troubleshoot your MPG/drivability issue!

6. scramjett

scramjett New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I was going about 70ish MPH up the GV at that time.

I usually go between 75-80 mph on the SoCal trips depending on traffic. 42 MPG is about what I normally get on a SoCal trip.

Interesting. I wonder if most Prius' experience this and "self correct" or something. It would seem as if mine has chosen not to "self correct." The screen did fluctuate between that and powering the motor but the powering the motor instances were brief and I saw the power flow pictured the most (the second most common would be nothing going to or from the battery).

Thanks for the offer F8L, I'd greatly appreciate that if someone has any ideas! :)

7. scramjett

scramjett New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That hasn't been my experience. My experience has been that when I climb the grapevine (6% grade) that the HV battery is mostly powering the electric motor with help from the engine. It does fluctuate between powering the motor and doing nothing (no powering or charging) but it is mostly powering the motor. It only switches back to the more conventional "engine driving wheels charging battery" once the climb starts leveling out. I monitor the energy screen every time I go up the grapevine (usually for fun) and I have never seen it do that before November.

Yes, this is where I am at with Elk Grove Toyota now. All I have is my instincts and my visual observations of the energy flow screen and the crappy gas mileage telling me something is wrong. It's all circumstantial and while it leads to one inescapable conclusion with me based on my experience, I can see how with others, there might be other simpler causes (especially if you're a service tech dealing with people who don't know anything most of the time).

Assuming your definition of "very cold" is below freezing, we don't really get that very often, at least not on the freeway that takes you from Sacramento to LA. Even in the dead of winter, the temp while driving to SoCal is rarely lower than the 40s F. As for loaded car and quartering headwinds, that is pretty common on I5 (freeway to LA) but we were running lighter than usual on this trip and the winds were not as strong as they normally are. I'd estimate that I should have gotten anywhere from 43-45 MPG instead. There are a number of us Prius drivers here in Cal that go 75-80 mph or more on I5 because it is a looooooong drive to LA. A 5 mph difference in speed could mean the difference between a half hour more or less on the road.

LOL, if I were any good at electronics, I would be more than happy to do that. I read through your posts and it does sound like a case of moisture causing a short somewhere. When I had my Saturn SL2, it had a receiver hitch with wiring harness that my dad had installed while it was still his car. After some damage to the left rear quarter panel caused a puddle of water in the trunk where the wiring harness happened to be, it would constantly blow the fuse for the cars running lights (all the other lights that are on when the headlights are on). I took it in to Uhaul (who did the original installation) and they found the problem was that an exposed wire was sitting in the puddle and caused a short. They basically said all they could do was pull the wiring harness to fix the problem. I told them to do that since I hated that I even had the stupid receiver hitch and had no intention of ever using it. You might try and find somewhere in the car that is pooling water and see if an exposed wire (or even just a wire) is causing a short. After the wiring harness was removed, I installed a new fuse and never had another problem. (I'll repost this in your thread as well).

8. slohcinbocaj

slohcinbocaj New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife has been complaining about the low mileage in our 2006 Prius for over a year. The first few years we were getting 45 mpg easy and consistently. The last year and a half have been 35-40 mpg. Last Saturday the dash lit up with the red exclamation, et.al. and we have error codes indicating the HV battery is failing/failed (which the dealership confirmed). Now the dealer wants $3700 + tax to swap in a new battery. If there is anyway to have the dealer check you HV battery condition I would look into it... we are struggling to decide what to do with our car since we are at 110K and not blessed by the california warranty.

9. scramjett

scramjett New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi slohcinbocaj (can I just call you "slo?"),

Sorry to hear that! So far, I have not gotten the red exclamation mark and a couple trips to the dealership where they perform a "health check" (which is a fancy way of saying that they check the onboard computer for trouble codes) produced no error codes. They claim that the health of the HV battery is checked during a health check but I have no way to verify this (perhaps others can confirm if this is true?).

According to your profile, you are in Washington State correct? If so, you should know that Washington has adopted California's Low Emission Vehicle standards which include the 150k mile provision. I would check with the Washington State Department of Ecology to see if the same warranty requirements in California apply in Washington. Your dealership may be trying to gyp you (fun fact: it doesn't matter if you buy used, the warranty is transferrable).

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    id you have your 12v battery checked out/replaced to ensure this isn't a fluke? Often times a failing 12v battery will throw all kinds of codes even though there is nothing else wrong with the car. If you still have the OEM battery it is getting a bit long in tooth.

11. 6lark5

6lark5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the load you are carrying the same on each trip?

The more junk you carry, the lower the mileage (this is more evident in a Prius, then say a Corolla).

Your speed does seem high once your on the Grapevine. That coupled with load and possibly the weather (head or tail wind, etc).

12. scramjett

scramjett New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a matter of fact, this was the lightest load we've had in awhile. Under similar weather conditions and a heavy load, I've gotten around 42 MPG. As our son gets older, we find that the car gets lighter and lighter with each trip. Even when we loaded down the car and it was winter, I was always happy that we were consistently getting no less than 43 most of the time. I should also point out that this winter had been pretty mild compared to the last two for us.

13. charlie_rivera1

charlie_rivera1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    To check the battery pack SOC I use a Scan Gauge. I use the bars for reference only. I've seen that when the SOC of the battery gets to 66%, I get 7 bars but after reaching this SOC the Prius start using the energy in the battery pack and it takes close to 63% of SOC to go from 7 bars to 6. In order to change from 6 bars to 5 the SOC has to drop lower than 55%. In reality the car is using that energy but the cars shows only a two bars drop.

With the Scan Gauge you can see the real SOC of the battery and it also helps you see how fast the battery is draining. I know that it costs around $150.00 but it helps you diagnose the car.

Hope this helps

14. scramjett

scramjett New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, might be worth it just to see what the bars are showing vs the actual SOC and compare to your results. It may show something unusual. I'm not convinced that the HV battery is failing. It seems to me as if an electrical fault or computer glitch is causing the Prius to coddle the battery even more so than it normally does. It may not be a computer glitch though since the computers have been reset twice, once by Elk Grove Toyota and the other by me when I replaced the 12 V battery.

15. snowhound2

snowhound2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am curious what you end up finding out. I am starting through the steps you have taken earlier in the post with a 2008 Prius (50k on it). Mine is showing similar issues on the uphill. I will post if I come across anything different. Thanks for the detail in your posts, it makes it easy to follow and compare.

16. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a couple of thoughts.

This problem seemed to have started with the installation of new tires. I have Kumho KR22 on mine as well and get 50 MPG with temps in the 30s/40s and tire inflations in the high 30s. The tires themselves would not cause a drop, but having tires changed did present an opportunity for something to get tweaked. Have you put the car up on jackstands to check for freely turning wheels, esp. the rears?

Second, if it is an HV battery problem, then I strongly suggest that you look into PriiDash or Torque, to record battery-related data. Important data fields are battery current, voltage of highest block, voltage of lowest block, cell soc delta, battery temperatures.

Finally, since you have been hauling around the family and associated gear, it is a good idea to check the HV battery fan.

17. 6lark5

6lark5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    He checked the HV battery fan already. Getting more data on the condition of the HV battery is a good idea. It will answer some questions.

I was thinking about causes of the mileage issue. I was thinking some LRR tires are not as LRR as others. I know Consumers Report rated "rolling resistance" in their annual buyers guide book. But, your answer squashed that.

I think speed is another factor. I can remember seeing a speed vs. mileage chart on priuschat.

On hills, if your heavy in the foot, your relying heavily on the ICE and less on the MG. He may have entered a less efficient range of the ICE.

18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Are you also having problems with your fuel consumption or other driveability issues? People sometimes obsess over exactly what the arrows are doing on the MFD even when there's nothing really wrong. Just saying ... :cool:

19. 6lark5

6lark5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Obsessing about the arrows on the MFD is a waste of time. I did it for the first week I had the car. Now, I ignore it.

The Prius is a rolling computer. No worries.

When the dash lights up like a Christmas tree, then you worry.

20. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks. This is a long thread and I couldn't remember.

Definitely Torque, PriiDash or Mangoose would be the next step. It is a guarantee that the dealership will not do anything without codes or a marked/significant drivability problem -- not just somewhat lower MPG.