1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius - 12v Battery Issue (Please Confirm Diagnosis)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dbagooner, Feb 4, 2014.

1. dbagooner

dbagooner New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello, long time reader, first time poster.

Year: 2007
    Single Owner

Backstory: Wife took the car in for an oil change before a road trip to FL about 10 days ago. When they finished and she turned the car on the lights around the gear display started flashing. They were able to jump start the car and she brought it home. We then took it to Advanced Auto Parts or something and they tested the battery saying it was fine. The car continued to start just fine while in Wisconsin, and for the entire road trip to FL, also while in FL, and for the entire trip back to WI.

Issue: This morning I went to start it (first night back in WI) and the car won't start, lights flashing around the gear display, and now it won't turn off either. I did just read that I can go out and hold the button longer and that should turn it off... I'm about to run out and try that.

Diagnosis: My problem with the dead battery concept is that it worked just fine for 10+ days in the warmer climate. My problem with the loose / corroded connections is that it worked just fine...

I am ready to buy a new battery and install it myself, but my wife isn't convinced that this is the issue because it obviously charged and held a charge fine while on vacation.

I have done a fair amount of research on here this morning, but I'm looking for a better way to determine if it is or is not the battery.

Thanks!

Ryan

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the battery original to the car, I.e. approx 7 years old? If yes, I would be inclined to change it now anyway

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. When you are having trouble with a no-start situation and are wondering whether the 12V battery is at fault, turn on the headlights. If they are dim, that is a very good sign that the battery is near-dead. An even better approach is to use a digital multimeter to check the voltage across the battery. A fully-charged AGM battery should measure 12.9V. A discharged battery will measure 11.5V.
    2. There is a big difference between ambient temperature of 70 degrees F. vs. ambient temperature of 20 degrees F. A marginal battery will work OK in warm weather. A battery is a chemical device, and chemical reactions slow down at lower temperatures.
    3. A loose connection can cause intermittent results. It is easy enough to find the battery and check both the positive and negative cable tightness. Do not forget the negative cable where it bolts to the body.

5. dbagooner

dbagooner New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    JimboPalmer I'll have to test it per your linked guide. Until now I've just based all of this on the auto parts store test results. Thanks

Tony D Yes, we've been fortunate enough that this is the original battery, another reason I want to replace it, but my uber-frugal wife isn't sold yet =) This will help in the decision though, thanks!

Patrick Wong 1) Lights seem to be just as bright as normal.
    2) This is what I was thinking too, but wasn't sure how to phrase it as you have.
    3) I will check on connections, I did not consider these as I couldn't see why there would have been no issues while out of the state, only after returning.

Thanks all for your help, I will do more investigating when I get back home.

Tony D likes this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Ryan,

Your 12V battery is seven years old which is very old for an automobile battery. The most likely reason for the symptoms you have reported is a failing 12V battery. Tell your wife that it will be much less costly for you to replace the battery at a time and place of your choosing, instead of waiting until you are stuck in a snowstorm and the car refuses to start, having to arrange for a tow, emergency service, etc.

dbagooner likes this.
  7. dbagooner

dbagooner New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Patrick Wong I agree, thanks for the ammo!

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes! A 7~8 year old 12 volt battery is overdue for replacement. Look at it like an oil change: a regular, albeit longer service interval is warranted for regular battery replacement, IF you don't like suprises. Emergency vehicles routinely change batteries bi-yearly, or even yearly. 4~5 years is a decent interval for a private owner.

9. dbagooner

dbagooner New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Indeed, thanks Mendel. It's just annoying that my 06 Sienna battery just died 2 weeks ago as well! I've just convinced the wife thanks to the collective agreement. We'll be ordering one shortly!

10. dbagooner

dbagooner New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did the test just now and the battery is fine unless under load, it drops to 11.7.

The odd thing is I can't jump start it from a backup battery I have, nor from the Sienna. The car seems to start, but doesn't actually fire up, and the lights just flash around the gear display. I am not sure what would prevent the jump start from working.

Hoping to get some sort of idea just to get it moved before I get a parking ticket tonight.

11. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The other issue is that it has been below zero in Wisconsin lately. Right?
    Quite a bit different than balmy Florida.

Now is the time. Replace the 12v. :)

12. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would check for voltage at the jump post with a digital volt meter.

If you have close to 12 volts there at the jump post, I think a battery swap is in order. However, if you don't read anything close to that (ie 0 volts), chances are a fuse is blown.

It is real easy to blow fuses in the Prius when jump starting. It can also be rather expensive at times to repair the damage.

Based on what you just posted, it sounds like the Prius is not going into "Ready Mode". From all of your posts so far you have the symptoms of a weak and dying battery. It is unfortunate that the less than two year old battery is acting this way, but it is obvious that it is not supplying enough power.

Jump starting is not the fix. Nor is repeated charging of the battery. Charging will help, but eventually a new battery is the final fix.

Get a volt meter and check for voltage at the jump post. If it reads somewhere between 9 and 12 volts, then the fuses are good. At that point, get a new battery. If you get no voltage or very low, there is either a bad connection or a blown fuse.

11.7 volts under load at the MFD is a dead/dying battery in most cases with the Prius.

13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW, you can purchase a inexpensive digital volt meter at most "dollar stores", harbor freight, or similar discount stores. You can find them starting around $8.00 to $10.00 You don't have to have the top of the line "Fluke" brand meter. Even the bargain brand meters usually measure fairly close to one another and vary just a small amount.

7 Function Multimeter

Unless you are a full time diagnostic repair person who works exclusively on electronic circuitry daily, the above should work for you.

14. dbagooner

dbagooner New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ok thanks, the wife is on her way to get a new battery now. Getting the old one out was a small pain in the ... And @Dorunrun the prius battery is original, 7 years old and I knew the time was coming. The last battery I replaced was on the 06 Sienna a few months ago, still not bad! Just two in less than 2 months eats the wallet more than I like ;)

Thanks a lot guys, will hopefully have more to report in a short while when she returns.

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope the local Toyota dealer's parts department is still open, it is pretty late in the Central Time Zone.

16. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As long as no fuses were blown trying to jump start the new battery should solve the problem.

Too many horror stories here on Prius Chat about "failed jump starting" on the Prius.

Let us know how it all works out. And yes, you do have to move a bunch of stuff to get to the battery. Did ours 13 months ago.

17. dbagooner

dbagooner New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The auto parts store had the right battery, however it was not the fix. The load test shows an improvement, so now I'm thinking it must be a fuse...

Any good links to troubleshooting fuses?

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does the Prius become READY or not?

I am not sure what "lights just flash around the gear display" means. Can you take a sharp photo of this and post?

I think it is now time for you to have your car towed to your local Toyota dealer. Sorry that the new 12V battery did not help the problem.

19. dbagooner

dbagooner New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not exactly sure what "Ready" means. It sounds like the engine is on, the heat blows, but the engine doesn't turn on. It sounds almost like the electrical motor is on.

On the dash the orange warning lights come on (low tire, maint req'd, VSC) but the red triangle with the "!" does not come on.

The gas pips flash too.

The energy monitor is on, I can see the wheels, motors, and battery, but there are no energy flow lines, and nothing shows a battery level, it's just blank.

The light on the power button is green.

When I shut it off the gear indicator boxes keep flashing and the energy monitor display stays on.

20. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When in "Ready Mode" you will see the word "Ready" on the dash and the Prius is in normal operating mode. Also in ready mode the led on the power button will be dark (no color).

Prius-2009-06.jpg

The above sounds like it is more than just the battery. The thing that is not normal about your situation is the LED color you mentioned which is green. When the Prius is working properly, green signifies "accessory mode". There would be no indicators lit on the dash, however you would see items on the MFD. In your situation you are seeing both the MFD and the warning lights you mentioned which is not normal for accessory mode. Normally you would have to be in "ignition on" mode to see the warning lights and the color of the LED on the power button would be yellow.

I am really curious to learn if you see voltage at the jump post. Either you have blown some fuses when trying to jump start the Prius or you possibly have a bad brake light switch. I suspect the fuses though.

I have changed the battery before in the Prius and sometimes it takes two tries to get it into "Ready Mode".

You might want to take the time to confirm that the brake lights are working when you step on the brake. If they are, with your foot firmly on the brake press down on the power button and see if the Prius will go into "Ready Mode" then. Sorry to hear you are still having problems after doing the battery swap.

Patrick Wong likes this.