1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius w/ 200K, Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CaCO3, Oct 9, 2014.

1. CaCO3

CaCO3 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

First post here as I'm doing my research to buy a used Prius. Have never owned one and now I have an opportunity to buy a 2007 Prius Base with a little over 200k miles for about $6,000. Outwardly it seems fine, but looking for opinions on whether this sounds like a solid deal and/or any advise on what to keep an eye out for when inspecting/driving it. Its at a dealer now so all they know is 1 original owner and some limited records that show he kept up on regular oil changes and service. From the dealers mechanics they only report the following observations:

e-brake cover has pad missing
    Spark Plugs - worn
    Air Filter - dirty
    Rotate and balance tires - shimmy while driving
    Rear shoes and resurface - shoes are at 2/32
    Right fog light bulb - burnt out

Based on the age and high miles it would appear that this was a regular commuter car racking up highway miles. Love to hear peoples thoughts. Thanks,

John....

2. GKuma

GKuma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have a 2007 with 220k, starting to use oil (1 qt every month, about 3k miles), still have original battery. I would buy it, because is it 1 owner car and hopefully no accidents.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    reset the mpg gauge and take it for a good long test drive under all conditions. if you're happy with the mpg's, take a new one for a spin just to get a feel for the difference. it's not a bad deal, but keep in mind, anything can go wrong at anytime. you're out of warranty and there are quite a few multi thousand dollar systems in the car unless you're a proficient diy'er. all the best!(y)

4. writes123

writes123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no. look at some of my replies to other posts.

doesn't sound like it was well cared/maintained for. pull up the service history. definitely need to get the price down if you go for it though despite the repairs needed. probably due for new pumps, coolant, transmission fluid, brake fluid. check oil consumption.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. The iridium spark plug change interval is 120K miles. The correct NGK or Denso spark plugs cost around $10 each and are easy to replace if you have the correct metric tools.
    2. New rear brake shoes have a thickness of 4 mm and they need to be replaced at 1 mm. 4 mm = 0.157 inches. 1 mm = .039 inches
    If the thickness is currently 2/32", that is equivalent to 0.0625 inches. So the rear brake shoes are ~80% worn and should be replaced in the next 50K miles.
    3. The other issues are minor.
    4. The price is on the high side considering the odometer reading.
    5. As previously suggested, you need to have a four-digit repair budget available in the event the car has a major system failure - or be prepared to DIY using used parts. The electronics content is quite high and you will not get advance notice of a failure - inverter, transaxle, multi-function display, etc. One day the car is great and the next the instrument panel looks like a Christmas tree with multiple warning lights on.

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    All of what Pat posted above and
    I'm guessing that depends on how long and if the shimmy disappears after balance - rotate and or alignment.

7. CaCO3

CaCO3 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the feedback, really appreciate it! I think I'm going to let this one go. That unknown tire shimmy they reported and the fact that the carfax I just ran on it showed a front end accident about 3yrs ago.

So moving on and surprisingly enough I came across another 2007 today that only has 171k. Looks cosmetically ok and carfax is clean other then it had 2 owners (last one in 2011). It also just passed state inspection a few weeks ago. Same $6,000 price but it is the Touring model, not Base. Also found that front brake pads, rotors and spark plugs replaced replaced at 100k. Think I going to go visit this one today. Any gut reactions/thoughts? Thanks,

John....

8. Classic_pri

Classic_pri Former 2001 Prius 0wner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Touring is a much better choice. It has HID headlights, I presume? They're excellent. The Base seemed expensive at $6K.

Any sign of maintenance work is a plus. New plugs and brake components are actually a little early. Any sign that transmission fluid and coolant have been changed?

9. derekderek

derekderek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    go to toyota dealers for used prii ONLY!!! i just found a beat ugly new york city 04 with 130 on it for 3k at price in delaware. runs like a champ. they had an 05 next to it with 260k looked like new. also sold for 3k. people keep these cars a loooong time, IF that particular car treated them well enough. if it did, they go to toyota and trade it on a new version of the same car. if it has low mileage and is at a subaru dealer, you don't know what kind of issues may have caused them to go to another brand. if it's at a generic used car lot, same thing.