1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius Starting and Computer Reset Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Armacham, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Armacham

Armacham New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2008 Prius with about 55,000 miles. Today after work I got in and went through the normal starting procedure, but nothing happened. I stepped out of the car, took a quick lap around the car to check for anything noticeable, and locked and unlocked the car with the key-fob. I sat back down and it started up just like usual except that the trip odometers and clock had all been reset, and my radio presets were gone. I recently replaced both the key-fob battery as well as the 12V battery within the last couple of months. Any ideas what might have caused this?

2. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It sounds like power was lost to your car. Have you checked the voltage on your 12V battery? I would recommend doing so if you have not done it recently. Also check all the connections to the 12V battery & look for corrosion. If the voltage is OK and after tightening connections and cleaning the terminals as necessary, wait & see if the issue reappears.

3. Armacham

Armacham New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just checked the voltage and the diag screen is showing 11v, so it seems like the battery is defective. A $150 battery should last more than 7 months. I hope that obtaining a warranty replacement is not a pain in the nice person.

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Why don't you try recharging the 12V battery?

5. Armacham

Armacham New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I probably will do that while waiting to see about a replacement, but a 7 month old battery that goes dead for no reason is defective and I would rather not risk getting stranded someplace with a dead battery if it fails again.

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's not necessarily true; maybe you have a bad connection and it wasn't charging, maybe your inverter charging circuit is bad? Maybe a map light was left on. There could be a myriad of possibilities.