1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 vs 2009

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jolly, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Jolly

Jolly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Unfortunately, I totaled out my "new" 2009 Prius. You wouldn't have thought so by looking at it but that's the situation. Even though my insurance claim is not settled yet, I'm already Prius shopping. There's a couple of 2008 models that may be in my price range (have about 70,000 miles on them). Just wondering if there's any differences worth noting between the '08 and '09 models. I absolutely loved my '09 and kind of like the layout of a Gen II over a Gen III. I would very much appreciate any input or advice. Thanks All!

Jolly

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There appears to be mounting evidence that the gen2 is more reliable than the gen3.
    The gen3 in theory has better mpg figures. Interior and exterior looks are subjective. I personally do not like the bridge dash in the gen3 but prefer the exterior look.
    Downside to the US gen2 is the bladder fuel tank "something luckily we did not get in the UK" that makes fuel filling a bit problematic with the guess gauge.
    The gen3 has less obtrusive traction control possibly important if you live in a snow area, but I must say owning a gen2 and driving it in snow in a hilly area something I have not had a problem with, "see my avatar picture".
    Hope this is of help.

John (Britprius)

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No. In the US, both are G2 models. (2010 is the first G3 model year.)

4. Jolly

Jolly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm looking on a website that has a an '08 with 74,000 miles. In the pics, I see more controls on the steering wheel than on my previous '09. What are they for? They're on the upper right side of the steering wheel.

5. brownsnoutuk

brownsnoutuk Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did your previous prius have gps and bluetooth? Those are probably the buttons your talking about

6. Jolly

Jolly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    No, it didn't. Bluetooth would be nice but I've read here on PC that the navigation system leaves a bit to be desired.

7. Kurzweil

Kurzweil Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The navigation system is wonderful if you've never had a built in system before. You get a dual mode screen that the little portables can't readily do and the seven inch screen is quite luxurious by comparison to the small ones. Main drawback is aging maps and prohibitively expensive upgrades. If you feel that most of your roads have been around a while, the age thing is manageable. I carry a lifetime-maps model in the storage compartment for those rare times when an address "does not exist". Also, no suction cup mount on the windscreen to interest car breakers.

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just a word of warning do not use the suction cup on your portable sat nav on the MFD screen. Others have found to there cost this destroys the touch screen.

John (Britprius)

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my daughter has my old '08, great year, zero problems. all the best!(y)