1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Bluetooth voice dialing + Android smartphone

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by SCJoe, Mar 16, 2010.

1. SCJoe

SCJoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Anyone know if you can use the 2010 Prius bluetooth steering wheel controls to completely control an Android phone? If so, would you mind saying which model phones it works with?

I've read that most Android phones (all except the Devour?) do not support bluetooth voice dialing, meaning you have to press something on the phone to initiate the call when using bluetooth. Thinking of picking up an Android phone, but probably won't if I have to interact with it in the car.

2. raholco

raholco Ailurophile

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All current Android that I am aware of do not support voice dialing over Bluetooth.

However, you can place calls by using "Dial By name" or "dial by number". In the case of Dial By name, you do have to record voice tags.

3. SCJoe

SCJoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, that's what I thought. Supposedly the Devour (with Motoblur interface) does, but that's not a phone I'm considering.

You mean using the car "dial by" functions, or phone functions?

Basically, I'm wondering if it's possible to make and receive calls without touching the phone at all (after initial setup, of course), but using the steering wheel controls.

4. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes you will. Once the phonebook is loaded in to the headunit you will be able to do the dial by name or number prompt from the steering wheel controls. I'm currently using the Droid and used to use an iPhone. They both work great. Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  5. SCJoe

SCJoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good news. Thanks, shawn.

6. cutaway

cutaway Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Has anyone who has gotten Android 2.2 OS been able to test voice dialing with the Prius?

7. chuckc192000

chuckc192000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I "Dial By Name" all the time and I never recorded any voice tags. I have a Palm Centro phone and it has NO built-in voice dialing capability at all. The voice dialing is all handled by the Prius.

8. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I use "Dial by Name" and "Dial by Number" all the time with my EVO. I, too, do not have voice tags recorded.

9. gcarey3

gcarey3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a Droid 2 running 2.2.20 and have not been able to get native Droid voice dialing working with the Prius. I cannot trigger the voice commands on the phone using hardware in the car or use the car microphone to tell the Droid what to do.

As others have mentioned, it will dial once you pull the address book from the phone into the Prius.

What you may have already found is that audio out of the Droid works fine once you pair it up. That means you can select BT audio and all the media audio will come through the car speakers. So I can use the Droid music player and even the navigation functions which auto mute/unmute the audio.

It seems to me that this is more of a limitation in the Prius than the Droid. I just updated my Jawbone ICON bluetooth earpiece software and it works fine with A2DP and voice commands.

It sure would be great if the Prius could initiate the Droid voice command and use the built in car microphone for input to the Droid.