1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010: How do I make PWR mode default?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by dbenfield86, Sep 19, 2009.

1. dbenfield86

dbenfield86 New Member

Model:
    III
    I prefer the PWR mode because it's more responsive and gets the same MPG as ECO. How do I make PWR mode the default at startup?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You cannot set PWR as a default. Only ECO and Normal mode appear again if the car is shut down in one of those modes. If you shutdown in PWR it returns to normal...

3. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    * As Paradox said, You Can't!

David (aka Blind Guy)

4. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, it drives like a different car doesn't it. I don't see any reason it always defaults back to ECO except that Toyota decided it should.

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

It doesn't always default back to ECO; If you turn it off in normal it will restart up in normal. If turned off in ECO it will restart in ECO.

6. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When did you get your 2010? Which model did you end up with? (I've heard it has been hard to find the III with SR.)

As others have earlier noted, you cannot set PWR as your default mode.

I am curious to find out how you have established that the PWR and ECO modes both produce the same fuel economy (MPGs). Did you do this through testing on your own car?

7. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm guessing that he probably meant that "because of the way he prefers to drive it", PWR and ECO get about the same MPG for him.

8. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    He must keep his foot to the floor for both modes to produce the same results. :eek:

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think you can become accustomed to whichever mode you use and "learn to like it" because the others will feel a little different to you if you switch to one of them. I have been using the ECO mode, except for a brief trial in the other two, since I got my car because of the more economical AC operation. It "feels" fine to me in any driving situation and I enjoy having a finer control for the first half of the throttle. I suspect that if I had been using the normal or power mode for the last 6000 miles I would prefer whichever I had been using.

10. dbenfield86

dbenfield86 New Member

Model:
    III
    Here's what I mean about PWR:

I have tried tank fills in both modes and there simply isn't much difference in fuel economy, not enough to make it worthwhile driving in ECO mode. Driving pretty much the same, I get maybe 54 mpg in PWR instead of 55 or 56 in ECO (display). I would guess, maybe 2-3% less. How can I explain it? Maybe it's faster on accel, longer on glide? No difference when cruising? When I first tried PWR I thought I was going to take a huge hit on that tank, but I wanted to know. Surprise, surprise. Yeah, I suppose I'm paying the equivalent of a dime more per gallon than in ECO but - hey - I can still laugh at these slobs driving Tundras and Hummers. They're paying big-time more.

11. dbenfield86

dbenfield86 New Member

Model:
    III
    To answer your question, I'm driving a 2010 Prius III with solar roof. It was definitely hard to find but I was determined. I signed up on one of those internet deals that links you to dealers in the area. There were a bunch of false replies (not what I wanted) and then came the call I wanted.

I misspoke on the mileage comparison, sorry. The PWR mode gets a bit less mpg, but not enough to warrant staying in ECO mode (see my last post). I'm not a nut case about the mpg.

12. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    "can't" just means that it might not be plug and play...(of course, it may also mean really damn expensive and time consuming...)

13. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Theoretically, at least, this wouldn't be a difficult mod. The PWR button simply momentarily shorts an ECU input line to ground. (The ECU doesn't seem to "accept" this pulse until about 1-2 seconds after the power is turned on (ready).)

All you would really need is a circuit that would wait about 2 seconds, then apply a ground pulse to this line, every time the vehicle is powered up. I think this could be accomplished pretty easily with a 555 timer circuit, and tapped into the PWR switch harness, which is very easy to get to.

I've been running in ECO mode, but based upon what I'm reading in the forum, I may be switching to PWR (or at least Normal) mode - if I decide on PWR, I may prototype a 555 timer circuit to do this, and I will post if I do.

14. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You could/should totally open up a custom circuit shop for the 2010...you could make a decent chunk o change just on this forum...

15. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looks like there should be a computer setting to allow default startup in power mode.... Humm

I get tired of hitting the button "every" time!

16. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll tell you why it does that ... because there is absolutely NO WAY that PWR mode gets the same (or almost the same) MPG as ECO or NORMAL mode.

If Toyota allowed it to stay in PWR mode, and people forgot, their MPG would PLUMMET, and people would be at the dealership every day complaining that they only get 35-40 MPG.

Again .... there is NO WAY that you can get the same mileage as the other modes in PWR ... if that was the case ... Toyota would have just built the car so it had PWR mode only ... it sure would have made the car a LOT more attractive to prospective buyers than ECO or NORMAL does.

About the only way I'd think you could come close to having it be the same is if you drove the car so hard in ECO mode that even ECO mode was doing badly, but your figures don't suggest that, ... unless .... if you drove gently in ECO mode you would be getting 60-65 MPG.

REV

17. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree with your point.... if the car was sold and the next guy had to learn to drive under power mode they would never learn good gas mileage.

Without getting all technical, all the power mode really does is change the tolerance on the gas pedal... "little movement, does a lot, verses a little while in eco mode".

Drivers who have already grown used to the software and get optimal gas mileage can actually obtain the same mileage as when in eco mode while driving in power mode.... however that rarely happens, otherwise it would be silly to use power mode when normal mode would be easier and less touchy.

In other words, people who use power mode "want" the power, punchy, sporty feel and that cost gas mileage in any mode whether moving the pedal a little or a lot.

I use power mode all the time now but because I drive pretty well and am used to the software, I can still get around 50 - 52mpg without sacrificing my sporty feel if the weather is nice and no air or heat is needed in the cabin.

If I want to drive like grandma and drive other drivers crazy behind me, I can bump that up to 55 - 62 but normal mode is much easier but less enjoyable to drive for me.
    Eco Mode is downright boring now and I hate the soft mushy feel but IMO is an excellent "trainer" to learn what gives the best gas mileage....
    Once learned, the tighter pedal tolerance of normal or power mode will still give decent mileage because the habits for excellent mileage will already be in place from driving in eco mode.

I really believe many of the other cars on the road would bump up their mileage 30% if they had the same software installed as does the Gen III prius.

While Hybrid technology brings sheer efficiency into play for the prius, training the driver brings the other half of the equation.

1 person likes this.
  18. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good points WS. I typically use PWR when I want to 'get across an intersection' quickly or 'pull out into a tight space' because of traffic density. I actually prefer NORMAL mode for all around driving, ECO with cruise control, and PWR when you need a momentary burst of power as mentioned above, or for getting a run at a long steep hill.

REV

19. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I always use pwr mode and drive fairly aggressively. I get about 48 mpg. If I forget to hit the power button I feel it immediately in the sluggish acceleration. In heavy Long Island traffic there are many times when you have to accelerated very quickly to get up to speed - especially on parkways where there may be no acceleration lane and you must get up to 60 from a complete stop. Yes, this is dangerous road design.

20. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    When my wife drives my Prius she has it in PWR mode all the time!
    Puts her seat belt on and punches the PWR button.
    when I drive I go between Normal and PWR never ECO to turtleish!
    I not an MPG Nut either all I know It's in the high 40s thats ok by me!
    Anyway, PWR Mode as default I don't Know?
    would be nice to have the option. I know where the button is:D