1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius doesn't turn on won't turn off

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Renae, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Renae

Renae New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This morning I turned on the auxiliary power to enter an address into the navigator. It took less than two minutes. Then when I tried to turn the car on the warning triangle with exclamation point started flashing, all of the warning lights came on and the display that normally shows energy usage did not turn on. I tried the turn off the car but the navigation display would not turn off and the gear indicator (park, neutral, drive, reverse) wouldn't turn off. I couldn't take the key out of the car because the warning buzzer would not stop sounding. Tried turning the car all the way back on, but it wouldn't go into gear and I am sure that the engine never actually turned on. When the tow truck came, he had to jump the little battery to be able to get the car in neutral. The dealer had to unhook the battery to finally turn off the car. Of course this happened when my parents were visiting and we were on our way to take a road trip in my car. It is Saturday, so it won't be worked in until Monday, so I won't know what is wrong until then. Anyone have this experience before?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    First I have heard of this problem. Never had a problem with the ACC, IGN-ON and READY modes.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other problems after getting the car back from the dealer.

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The 12 volt battery is dead, or at least discharged. The car is rather new for the battery to be worn out, so my guess is that you left something turned ON overnight. Maybe lots of short trips, with never enough time to fully recharge the battery.

The solution is to try recharging the battery. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to replace it. About $200 for the 12V battery.

4. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's The 12 volt battery. Had the same happen to me when I started up one day. Would not start and would not turn off. After a few try's it started. Took it to dealer and the codes were all voltage and they said it was the battery.
    No problem since!

5. Renae

Renae New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just heard from Toyota. The 12 volt battery had a bad cell. The car was still under warranty so they replaced the 12 volt battery and the car is fixed and ready to go. Sure isn't like what happens in old fashioned cars when the battery goes dead!
    Thanks for the responses!