1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Grill Blocking strategy

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by ken1784, May 31, 2009.

1. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Provided that the tables establish the conditions under which they were created then I would consider them reasonably reliable. Perhaps the most important criteria to consider when reviewing those tables is the "distance driven" factor.

However, a fully blocked grille at -20C should not be a problem regardless of how long your commutes are. Things get a bit more delicate when approaching 0C (freezing point).

Cheers;

MSantos

2. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another quick question: How will they survive going through a non touch automatic car wash?

Also, are the tie-wrap mandatory or just a nice additional safety?

Thank you!

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Tie-Wraps are totally unnecessary; in fact pointless, if you use the squeeze install method with 1/2" foam.

Mine never moved that way, the entire winter. Then when it came time to remove the foam, there was a lot of tearing involved. It most definitely won't let go on its own.

1 person likes this.
  4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, the pipe insulation I used does not have the adhesive on the seams so the ties were necessary. I don't think I would like to have to clean up the mess when using the adhesive.

I suppose the 1/2" stuff would look better but after the first snow around here nobody will be able to tell that it is a Prius much less that I am using 3/4" pipe insulation.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I have no doubt that the insulation will survive the cash wash.

Peter

1 person likes this.
  5. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hum... :confused:

I just bought 3/4" foam. Which one fits best: 1/2" or 3/4"? Do you fit both the same way or do they wrap the grille in a different manner (whole 1/2" tube in one slot and 3/4" tube covering two rows of slots?) I certainly do not want to glue them to the grille...

I followed the recommendation in this post and on CleanMPG "A Hybrid Owner’s winter survival guide" and went with 3/4" (not yet tried to install, I should do this on Sunday).

I just want to know if I go exchange them for 1/2" tomorrow...

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You've got photos of both. 3/4" spans 2 slots. 1/2" is 1 per slot.

I personally find the 1/2" much nicer looking. So, the fact that they don't ever slip (held in place using nothing but pressure from being squeezed) is a side benefit.

You're choice. It's nice having options.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well based on recommendations, i have decided to go 75% block on top, but only for part of winter. right now, we frequently get temps in 50-60's. soon, it will be 40's. when that happens i am going back to 100% grill block, top and bottom.

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Either way, your choice. Just make sure not to use the type with adhesive in the seams. Again, I am 99% sure you won't have a problem with the car wash. Let us know how it goes.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

i been using either ½ " or 1" split in half for years. no issues. car wash hardly touches em. once a week or so, i push the ends in a bit but only to make it look nicer. the ends are already blocked off. tapering them a bit helps keeps them in place

1 person likes this.
  10. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That looks great!!! It looks easy, clean and effective.That will be my first project when I get my Prius.

11. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Are there any New England "grill blockers" out there? I'm wondering if you block just the lower section?
    I am thinking that when I get my Prius, I invest in a Scanguage.:thumb:

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    with scangauge, u have little to worry about. general rule of thumb, if 45º or cooler, u are ok. i set mine at 60º but do little major freeway travel so i can go a little "hot" without issues. even with temps in 60º have never seen temps over 208º that was with 2006.

on 2010, never above 201º but very little experience on this since blocking has only been on a month. i do 100% bottom, 75% top

**edit** FYI, for driving around town in 2010, speeds 30-40 mph... i think top temp i have seen in past few weeks has been maybe 190 or so.... on work commutes, 7 miles, temp usually only gets to the low 180's sometimes. on colder days, the 170's and that is with the grill blocked. probably would be lower with no blocking

2 people like this.
  13. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just blocked the lower grill. temps vary here now from 30's to 60's. It helps

2 people like this.
  14. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Has anyone calculated to fuel economy using the grill blockers? How much better if fuel economy?

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    no real numbers to post. it all depends. on short trips of say 10 miles or less, 5 mpg or more. reason is, grill blocking greatly affects the warmup time.

if that 10 miles in done during sub freezing weather at 35 mph or less, it could be 10 mpg. if that 10 miles is 2 miles city streets, 8 miles highway, might only be. 3-4 mpg.

same scenario except its 30 miles on the freeway, the difference might only be 1-2 mpg. so it all depends.

when temps hit the teens and 20's, grill blocking may mean the difference between a warm driver or cold hands the entire trip if short enough. in mild weather, like 40's and 50's, its not going to matter as much.

but bear in mind... it does make a difference. the more extreme the weather, the more it matters.

the shorter the trip, the more it matters.

3 people like this.
  16. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    ** Moved to Modifications Forum and made Sticky **

Great topic, but moved to appropriate forum and made sticky (since everyone looks for it).

17. Earman

Earman CDN Prius III Technology Blue

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just blocked a portion of the lower grill. As the temperature here in Vancouver is not very low I did not want to block the whole grill. However, I do 99% of city driving and short trips so I wanted the engine to warm-up as soon as possible...

I purchased only 1 length of 1/2" foam at Home Depot and blocked 2 vents completely and 1 vent partially. I may have to increase the cuts for the fins a little bit more at is still bumping a bit over the fins. Overall an easy mod and I am happy with it so far.

[​IMG]

During install, I noticed that the grill tended to move backwards when I pushed on the left side. Not a lot, but still noticeable. Is this normal or is there something lose?

1 person likes this.
  18. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When I did mine, the grill had some give to it when I pushed the foam in there but I wouldn't say it moved.

19. Wavey

Wavey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I just did my grill. About 80-85% lower and maybe the same on the upper. I couldn't get a perfect seal on the lower or it would have been 100%. I thought about doing 100% upper - anyone know of a problem with that? Up here in Alaska we generally don't see above freezing temps from Oct. until March save for a couple of days here and there. Heck, I'll bet dual 100% blockage wouldn't hurt anything around here during that span. Thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  20. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I doubt it would hurt either but until I get a Scanguage II (monitors coolant temp among many other things), I won't block the upper. Behind the upper is the inverter radiator. That is the big unknown for me.
    Does anyone know if the inverter coolant has a sensor (and that can be read from the Scanguage)?