1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius III, with the JBL sound system... Bluetooth streaming??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by healthylaugh, Feb 7, 2014.

1. healthylaugh

healthylaugh boughtalottatoyotas

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Who: I own a 2010 Prius III, with the JBL sound system and Bluetooth phone integration/steering wheel controls.

What: The factory radio will not allow me to stream music via A2DP from a Bluetooth-capable device, such as a smartphone.

When: Will some company or has some company invented a module or dongle that can be attached to the rear of the factory head unit (I realize the dash will need to be disassembled)?

Why: Don't you further the thread if you have any ideas. For instance, some of the solutions that were available for my 2006 Tacoma were so expensive, it made sense to look for an aftermarket head unit with all this stuff built in. The big challenge with that is: Will my steering wheel controls still work??

Please chime in if you can further the discussion.

EDIT/bump: I have the NON-nav unit (that's what the 2010 Prius model III means--JBL 6-CD, steering wheel controls). I'll need an aftermarket solution to stream music (A2DP) and would prefer to mount a module to the rear of the head unit, so it's out of sight/mind. Sorry I wasn't clearer about this in the OP because everyone with NAV thinks I'm doing something wrong (because they can stream music).

#1 healthylaugh, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    Bo Andersen likes this.
  2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would not consider an aftermarket head unit on these cars.

Try the following by plugging it into the aux and the usb inputs. Then pair and switch the radio to aux input. More expensive versions are available if needed.

My wife just plugs her IPhone directly in with a cable to the aux of the 08 which has a similar limitation on bluetooth. Steering wheel controls are not impacted.

3. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2010 with the same JBL unit always streamed with anything I threw at it - Android, iPhone, iPod, Laptop, Kindle.

Do you have the Nav unit?

4. gone postal

gone postal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My 2010 V w/ JBL nav let's me stream. Maybe it's just a nav unit option? Ironically, I can't use my USB connection - doesn't detect iPhone or android. I find that annoying

5. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the III 2010 with jbl non nav and I can't stream either only phone calls over bluetooth. I don't have an USB port just aux in

LG-LS980 ?

6. Technigogo

Technigogo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are two ways to connect via Bluetooth. You are using the wrong one. Connect the Bluetooth player route, not the phone route.

iPad ?

7. PriusNP

PriusNP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
  8. Technigogo

Technigogo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do you have Nav on your 2010? If yes, you don't need any extra kits to do what you want.

9. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't have the nav

LG-LS980 ?

10. Hybrid Dave

Hybrid Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My phone streams with bluetooth quite well, but in order to make it connect to the bluetooth audio, I have to manually toggle my bluetooth connection to the car off and on every time I start it up. It connects to the phone portion automatically every time but to stream music it for some reason only works if I toggle it on my phone manually. It's annoying but at least it works.

11. rcubed3r

rcubed3r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What you want is available, and inexpensive. It won't need to be attached or mounted behind the receiver, however.

Search for this at Amazon:

"wireless car bluetooth reciever"

(I can't post links.)

Ron

12. kitkit201

kitkit201 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Yes... it's a $40 bluetooth attachment htat requires aux and a 12v cigarette, which should be in your console box. I love that thing

13. Klayfish

Klayfish New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm going to bring this thread back up, because I'm not very technologically advanced. I just got a smart phone yesterday...I had previously had a flip phone (see...told ya I was a technology caveman). My 2010 Prius has the JBL Audio without navigation, but has Bluetooth for the phone. What's the best/cheapest way for me to be able to listen to anything I want to stream from my phone?

14. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If it won't stream via bluetooth, you can get an audio cable and plug it in to the car and the phone.

15. Klayfish

Klayfish New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was able to figure out how to pair the phone with the Bluetooth in the car, but it seems to work for phone calls only as when I started streaming a radio station, the car didn't pick it up.

So I get a cable that goes from the phone to the aux plug in the armrest cubby of the car?

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yup. There's a tray in the armrest to hold the phone too.

17. Skunkworks

Skunkworks Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    MY 2010 p3 with JBL nav, has issues sometimes. it makes me search the Bluetooth and then go to settings on my phone and search the car from the phone and it will link, the phone always links but the audio has issues at times. I have found that starting Pandora and then pairing the car and then the phone works the best.

18. Andrew Gh

Andrew Gh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi there,

I have a 3rdGen Prius with non-Bluetooth audio system.
    I would like to listen to music via bluetooth or via usb stick (either is just fine).

I tried a lighter socket usb bluetooth FM modulator. The static was so loud that I gave up instantly.
    I've read about reducing static noise but decided that "upgrading" the chinese device with an antenna (this implied soldering) or moving it to the back of the vehicle just under the antenna is pointless. Anyway, the access to it was difficult (if i used the front socket under the "arch" i couldn't reach to it, if i used the socket in the armrest, i needed to open it everytime I needed to change the track or look at it.

I tried the stereo jack input in the armrest; this worked fine with one exception: with my galaxy s5 at maximum volume (which if I use with earphones is beyond bearable) I needed to turn the unit at a volume of a 35 (from 50) minimum in order to hear something and enjoy it. Which meant more static (same as bluetooth).

I gave up (temporarily) and started to listen to mp3 cds. The audio from this is sharp and clear, if I turn to a volume of 35 it's loud enough, and there is no static sound at any volume. But I cannot write cd's everytime I remember a track I want to listen... you get the picture :)

I've been looking into those units which offer bluetooth/usb and connect to the back of the unit.
    Are they eny good? At what volume do you listen? Is there any static as with stereo input?

What else do you recommend?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

19. Bo Andersen

Bo Andersen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I got a Belkin BT to AUX that I am happy with. It does not have static (i'm fairly sensitive to that). I usually listen at around volume 25

20. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On my previous car, the aftermarket stereo had it in the fine-print that Bluetoothing required purchasing an add-on module. I bested them by buying a cheap Bluetooth dongle that plugged into the aux input of the stereo. If worked fine, if you didn't forget to turn it off the unit, depleting the tiny battery inside.
    BTDongle.jpg