1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius IV died on the highway; at dealer now for 5 weeks

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by highpks, Jul 17, 2014.

1. highpks

highpks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My wife's 2010 Prius IV died on the highway at 65 mph; just shut down at speed and would not restart. She had it towed to the dealer and there it's been now for 5 weeks! The tow truck operator was able to drive up on the flat bed using EV, but no engine. Dealer says it's the inverter which has a nationwide backorder and no ETA. They also say this $1500 part will be covered by a recall, even though the car is well out of warranty, and they're also covering a rental car. So it seems we'll be ok, as long as this fixes it...but 5 weeks and no end in sight?

2. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Some dealers are prepared for this failure - see the following thread:
    2010 Prius died - P0A94 - Inverter Failure - Replaced | PriusChat

20 hours after I broke down on the road with a defective inverter (in a 2010 Prius) I was back on the road driving my repaired Prius.
    The Prius got a new inverter & the software recall was performed at the same time.
    All repairs were handled as warranty work even though the Prius has 121K.
    The Prius has performed flawlessly before & after the repair.

That 20 hours includes towing time & time for me to pick up the Prius after it was repaired!

Kim

3. highpks

highpks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That was amazing turnaround indeed. I'll take it as a positive that eventually this car will work again.

4. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've got >2,000 miles on the replacement now with no problems. Some of the driving has been in torrential downpours - I guess all those rubber boots/shields on the wires going into the inverter are really water-tight :) Just got to trust the mechanic/tech to do all the right things & you are good to go!
    I really hope your inverter arrives _soon_!
    Kim

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm sure your car will be fine, but 5 weeks and counting is a bummer. i hope they gave you an avalon hybrid or something.:cool:

6. highpks

highpks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ya, I wish. Although they are covering the cost, they sent us to Enterprise, whose entire fleet was being repaired due to hail damage, so they pulled a Kia Sorento SUV off their "for sale" lot to rent us. Maybe I should ask Toyota to pay for the gas too?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    really. that's gonna cost you a bundle. what is she getting for mpg's?

8. highpks

highpks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't really want to know, but since it's mostly city driving, guessing around 20.

9. MJohnson

MJohnson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On May 8, 2015, my Prius also lost power on a major highway at high speed. Due only to the fact that I was in the far right lane which had a wide shoulder and that I was also near an exit did I manage to avoid serious mishap. More than seven weeks later, my Prius is still at the dealership as a vital sensor module is on back-order with no estimated date of availability. Toyota is providing me with a rental car, and the dealership has promised to deliver my Prius to me after the repair is complete (I have since moved to another state.) Still, I am frustrated. Safety and reliability were among my main reasons for buying a Toyota.

In response to:

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm sure glad i never go over 55, these stories are getting scary.:eek: