1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Models and Option Packages

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius Team, Feb 10, 2009.

1. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I definitely want package #III. I was hoping to get the moon roof/sp. Am I wrong or is Toyota packaging the mr/sp with nav? Sounds like a lot of money.

2. fookie

fookie "The Stig"

Do the covers make a difference in efficiency? If I can't swap my 15" wheels from my up and coming 2010 Prius (Silver/III) for someone that has the 17", I may run the 15" without covers full time. I might have to find center caps that fit, though.

3. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The covers do supposedly help efficiency to some degree.. I doubt its enough to talk about.

I have to draw the line in the sand somewhere for the sake of taste and good looks.
    Some things take a big hit " like 3mpg for 17" wheels" verses a couple hundred extra pounds weight which seems to do nothing that I can monitor.

I also don't think the covers do anything that you can monitor.

Keeping your car whistle clean prob does better too... but that doesn't seem to always work out!

4. fookie

fookie "The Stig"

Thank for the info....so the covers don't actually protect anything, right? They're on the wheels because of dynamics/efficiency?

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    So to offer some answers on the LED's, they appear to be auto-leveling based on some underbody photos taken of each car (Patrick spotted a rear suspension height sensor underneath on the LED version that was missing in one of my photos). This would make a swap a bit more difficult. I'm curious if the sensor plays into any other part of the advanced tech as well.

6. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I could maybe see getting an insight if I wasn't so picky.
    Like so many things in life.... making good grades for instance.... you can make a "B" with 1/3rd the effort it takes to make consistent A's....
    So when your busy and you have to watch your resources... .why go to the extra headache and time to make Straight A's when a B gets the job done?

Thats how I see the insight.

I hate "feeling" the clunk of the engine going on and off and feeling like i'm in a glorified rollerskate rather than a quality car.

The subtleties is what not only gives that last top end gas mileage, but makes the difference between eating spaghetti verses pasta...... or having a sirloin "which is good" and a Rib-eye "which is superb!"

I admit it.. I'm spoiled!... the prius is not for everybody... its the best of the best at this time when considering all around considerations of balance between luxury, economy and driving experience both alone or with family.

While other manufactures most probrably have a higher profit margin because of what you get verses what you pay for.. I think the Prius bumps the edge of what the market will bear due to its amenities and luxuries that are hard to match in some of the nicest cars.... I think the 2010 will put the earlier models in the books and history when it comes to driving experience.
    I"ve always felt Honda gets too much money for what they give in return on their hybrids.
    Although cheaper and easier to swallow.. you get less product for near the same money.

I'm thinking when the plug-in comes to play, it will put the 2010 in the books as history too... thats the "only" negative I see for buying at this time.

The 2010 is a notable improvement in many ways over present technology in the prius.. but I'm still looking forward to whats just around the corner.

Thats why I need this price to be good.

I know Toyota doesn't like to let the cat out of the bag on the future for fear no one will buy the present, but the cats already out.
    I'm still puzzled as to how we missed the boat so close.
    Here and here and here and here

1 person likes this.
  7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

ok...so because you cant get the combo you want on the best and most advanced hybrid on the market today, you would rather get stripped down compact using 2nd rate hybrid technology instead??

did i get that right?

8. fookie

fookie "The Stig"

Ouch....

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife thinks the wheel covers are to protect the rims from high gutters and she exercises that protection. Only trouble is I have moon domes, bitch!

10. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As much as I would like a G3 Prius, the lack of a package with both Solar and Adv. Tech. is enough reason to hold onto my G2. I really want both the Solar and Adv. Tech, could care less about the 17" wheels. Toyota: please offer a future package with both Solar and Adv. Tech! Remove the 17" wheels if there's a weight issue.

Thus, I will hold off on upgrading to a G3 until Toyota offers this combination.

11. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Ecopia 100's are summer tires.
    I spoke to a tire engineer at the Chicago Auto Show. While the engineer did not have any test results directly comparing them to the RE92's he basically said that the Ecopia's are the lowest rolling resistance tires Bridgestone has made.

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :jaw: Pat.. you are soooo bad!... I could never get away with saying that! :D

I bet your wife never gets in the forums either eh?
    Good thing you can run fast! :bolt:

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I somewhat feel the same way.. but regardless of the weight.. the final cost could be scary.... a figure, I'm a good driver and the Adv tech stuff would just be a cool one time show-off point I would never want to use... even the solar roof is a show-off point.. but I would like to have a nice sun-roof that lets the air in... next best thing to a convertible without the drawbacks.

Seems everything that really makes the car matter is on all of them.

On that note, I would go with a base unit, If I didn't get lost as a goose when I'm out of my backyard!

14. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does anybody have two sets of tires. One for winter and one for summer?

15. fookie

fookie "The Stig"

I had them on some of my RWD vehicles, but never really needed them for any FWD or AWD passenger vehicles.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most newer model Camrys will have this feature (as well as selected SUVs with a power driver's seat). It's basically a button that controls the lower lumbar and you can adjust it in/out to your liking.

Yes you can do it dealer-installed (if they decide to offer it) or from the johnson & johnson co. (just search Homelink... you'll be linked to MITO CORP or sth like that).

Oh don't get my wrong, I do like 3-dr SKS. I use the hatch to unlock all doors if it's just friends that are getting in.

$4k is for a brand new screen, not just the backup camera.

The way I see it, you're getting a loaded Lexus without the stylised L or the price (and some other smaller Lexus details).

Think about it. The only other car with DRCC/PCS/LKA/IPA and LED headlights is the Cdn$128,000 LS600h L!!

17. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had them on my Miata. In the winter I had a good set of snows and had no problem in the winter. Also the tires lasted twice as long. I found it to be a good investment.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone thinking that the Prius I might be a 1.6 litre version (remember how there were rumours that Europe might get a 1.6 litre version of the Prius?)

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've lived in Washington where the humidity is high, but its not too hot.. when it is, the humidity is usually low.
    Now I live in texas where it definately gets hot, but the humidity is almost always low...
    anyway.. in both areas, I love my leather seats.

But I could see how in the deeper south where its hot "and" humid it could be rough...
    I don't know if the passive cooling from the solar panels would help that or not... I bet with a sunscreen in the front window "and" the passive cooling of the solar panels, it could be downright reasonably comfortable when you get in your car!

20. twilsonchicago

twilsonchicago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I do. Blizzaks for Chicago winters, after slipping around some last year without them. It's a habit carried over from earlier BMW ownership.

Tim