1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius II-Removing stock & Replacing!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by priushound, May 3, 2011.

1. priushound

priushound New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all! I just got my 2011 model II-LOVE IT!!! I went with the stock stereo, mainly because I just wanted the base model. I use my iPod thru the aux connection in the center console. It is driving me nuts!! The volume is non-existant(especially with the windows down), and with the volume changes on the iPod(depending on file quality-I think), I have to replace it. I have been reading these forums for awhile, and basically want some input for the following:
    1). As simple of an install as possible-I'm now in my 40s and really dont want to be "tinkering" all day with this!!!
    2). I listen to Heavy Metal-I want a good system for crunchy guitar and double bass drumming-I can add an amp and change speakers(I think).
    3). I would love to retain the steering wheel controls for volume. I have read in alot of these you lose these controls with aftermarket installs.
    4). I would like to use the aux jack in the console if possible.
    5). Interested in something that will fill the space of the stock unit. I'm liking the nav/stereo units but will be using the iPod about 99% of time as it holds all of my music.
    6). Wondering what harnesses/adapters will be needed. If I get a Nav unit what about antenna locations.
    7). How does this effect the battery system??
    Hope to get some good input soon. Sorry this is long but thought you guys would need to see what I would like to get some good responses.

2. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This question has been answered many times - in the top left corner is a search box (Google) - and it allows you to see not only reviews, but how to install the stuff - quite useful!

Then after reading, ask questions...

3. kormaster

kormaster Junior Member

I use Dock Connector that splits into audio jack and usb to charge.

I still had the cable when I had MINI Cooper S. DIfference is that this gives full digital signal as opposed to analog of audio jack on the top. It disables the analog signal when you use this "dock" connector and you cant even change volume from your iphone. I personally like this option. I use a USB->Cig port charger adaptor so now it charges while playing.
    [​IMG]

4. Ragz

Ragz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I just had a Rosen Nav installed and the ipod input is great. Plug it in and forget it. The ipod diplays on the unit and can be controlled there and all steering wheel controls work as well. The face plate matches almost perfectly.