1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius No Power until dome light is turned on

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by K Dog, Aug 2, 2014.

1. K Dog

K Dog New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have had a 2012 Prius Four for about one year with no problems. Within last several weeks, it started to go dead (no power, but charged batteries) intermittently after normal park and shutoff. Frequency of this issue has increased.

The only way to revive the car seems to be to turn on the rear dome light. Once the dome light is turned on, the Nav screen turns blue saying "System Downloading, do not turn off power" and car starts and runs fine. I've tried to keep track of circumstances when it happens and have not been able to determine any commonalities (hot/cool weather, solar recirculator on/off, short/long trip, dry/wet day).
    • The battery is charged and appears to maintain a charge as well as when it does restart, the battery is showing good charge 60-90%.
    • Car clock time will be off by as long as it sat without power (again indicating that the entire car is going dead).
    • It has happened immediately after turning off (I find out because I can't use key fob or touch to lock the doors).
    • It has happened while car was unattended (car locked, left and came back several hours later and can't get into car without manual key unlock, clock was off by about the same time I was away from it).
    • Front cabin lights, pressing brake and power button, headlights, radio, door locks, etc...none of it will re-enable the power. Except the dome light for back seat.
    • When it's in this no power state, just switch the dome light on and the car comes back to life (still needs started with normal procedure). I didn't believe my wife until I had this happen to me multiple times in the last week as I drove it to troubleshoot it.
    Any ideas of what is causing my electrical gremlin would be appreciated. I'm thinking maybe a flaky relay. Makes no sense to me why the dome light would trip something to start up again. Worried that the dome light trick won't work one of these times.

2. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Never heard of this .... could be a short , bare wires toughing somewhere?:unsure:
    Have you done any mods to your Prius, lately?
    Have dealer run a diagnostic on it!!

3. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Always check the 12 volt battery when weird things start to happen.

4. testuserER

testuserER Guest

Yes, there are TWO batteries and the small one is not monitored like the big one is.

The 12 V batteries are often neglected on the dealer's lots and early failure in pretty common.

Maybe you can even get it replaced under warranty........maybe.

In any case, giving the 12 V battery a good slow overnight charge will probably make it all better........for a while.

5. K Dog

K Dog New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks...no mods. Thinking not bare wires or short since it never happens while in operation. Only while shut off. It's out of warranty, so hoping to try some basic troubleshooting before running it to the dealer.

6. K Dog

K Dog New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good thought. I was thinking along the same line. Will check out the 12V battery.

7. K Dog

K Dog New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 12V battery tested OK using the maintenance mode of the on board computer and running 3 different tests described on another site. All voltage reported within tolerances for all tests. Any other thoughts? Thanks

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    doesn't the power button run thru the dome light fuse?

9. bubbatech

bubbatech Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This has the sound of a bad ground somewhere

xpcman likes this.
  10. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have seen equally weird stuff in a non hybrid car with a loose / corroded battery cable connection or a broken cell connector inside the 12V battery.

xpcman likes this.
  11. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I wouldn't trust maintenance mode. I measured my 12V with maintenance mode and with a multimeter at the same time, and they differed by half a volt. Not much in the grand scheme of things, but if you're using it as an indicator of 12V health, that's pretty much the difference between a new battery and a dead battery.

That said, if you're going to be using maintenance mode, the $64-dollar-question is whether you were in Ready mode, or Ig-On, or ACC. In Ready, the battery will read 13-14V, because it's being charged by the car's DC-DC converter (off of the HV battery, even if the engine is off). Obviously, that tells you nothing about the battery. In Ig-On or ACC, there are a number of loads on the battery, so the reading you get in Maintenance mode (even if it were accurate) is not representative of the state of charge, which calls for an unloaded battery. It at least tells you that your battery isn't TOTALLY dead, but not much more than that - and the Prius can do funky things when the 12V battery is in a marginal state.

I'd suggest disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes some time, to effectively reboot all the myriad computers in the car. I'd also recommend finding a better method of checking the battery, and while you're in there, it's probably a good idea to check for corrosion or loose connections.

If it's not the 12V battery, then it's probably going to require a trip to the dealer to resolve.

12. K Dog

K Dog New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. Dome fuse is ok. Replaced it just in case.

13. K Dog

K Dog New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thinking it's bad 12v. Drove it for 12 hrs with only a couple of stops. No problems. When gremlin dead issue was more frequent, it was when only used for many short trips for about a week.

Will try testing with multimeter instead of dash computer.

14. K Dog

K Dog New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks! What would be proper way to test it with multimeter? In maintenance mode, I ran three different tests in various states of power on. All three with tolerance ranges given and my results within tolerance on all three. Pulled it from online somewhere.

Battery is not corroded. Looks like new still. I'll disconnect for min of 15 minutes to get reset.

Problem with taking it to dealer is I can't reproduce the problem and happens sporadically. Currently not at all. Cant diagnose a problem that isnt there. But last week when I was out of town, was happending a lot. It's primarily the wifes car so would hate to strand her if it gets worse again and dome light fix stops working.

15. macman408

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, for the most accurate reading, you'd want to disconnect the battery and measure it directly (after letting it rest for at least 15 minutes). But that's a pain and I'd never do it; it's pretty much just as good to pop the hood, then close all the doors and leave the car for at least 15 minutes before measuring the voltage under the hood. You can measure between the positive jump start post in the fuse box and the negative somewhere on the frame or a bolt or something. Bonus points if you pop the hood by going in through the passenger door, so the brake pump doesn't operate from you opening the driver's door.

Basically, the point is to use the battery as little as possible just before and while taking the measurement. So take the key out of your pocket, too, so that the interior lights don't come on, and the car's not actively talking to the key.

16. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So, if I pop the hood the night before, it should be good to check first thing in the morning? :)

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, it should read 12.9 or fairly close.

18. macman408

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    12.9 is pretty high; even Toyota says that fully charged is only 12.6-12.8V. Mine has consistently been 12.5 for the past 4+ years. 12.0 is what I would consider low; Toyota's specs say discharged is 11.5-11.9V. If it's getting down there regularly, you'd want to consider buying a new battery, weighing the cost/waste of replacing the battery somewhat early against the inconvenience of having a dead battery.

Personally, I'll probably deal with the inconvenience and not replace the battery until it's really dead, no matter what the voltage is. But I'll keep checking the voltage from time to time to gauge the health... Others may prefer to replace the battery every 3 or 4 years, whether they need to or not, just to be certain that their battery doesn't die.

19. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    From the repair manual:

Attached Files:

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, but better safe than sorry. too many people post 'my battery is 12.0, so it's not the battery, it must be something else. two weeks and 40 posts later, it is the battery.