1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 vs 2014 C

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Andy Tallman, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Andy Tallman

Andy Tallman New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hey! I'm newer around here and have used this site to gain tons of knowledge as I am shopping for my first Prius. I have decided the C is best suited to my needs and am comparing a brand new 2014 and a used 55,000km 2012 model. Both are the 1st model up from the very basic model. I have used the search tools here to try and find the differences between the model years and couldn't seem to find anything. Any information would be much appreciated & I apologize if this is a repetitive question.

Thanks!

Andy

2. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's only repetitive because you posted twice! :p It would be helpful to know what pricing you're at for each and if the used 2012 C is a private sale versus dealer certified used. Either way, you're going to get a Prius!!

3. Andy Tallman

Andy Tallman New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Oops. Haha. I think I must have hit create thread twice. My bad.

The used 2012 C is $16995 & has 55,000 km on it. It is a lease return from a Toyota dealer about 40 miles from where I live, so it isn't a private sale.

The new 2014 C is $20605. Brand new plus taxes and freight etc. I am planning on trading my VW Golf Tdi in if I go this route.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  4. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Both prices seem fair when compared to each other, but if you can get the used 2012 for a little less, financially it makes more sense. But don't listen to me. I don't use common sense when it comes to cars - I always buy new!

5. legoadan

legoadan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

But personally I'd get new. My dad always told me that with stuff that's used you run a risk. True, you run less of a risk in your scenario because it's a leased car, and it's probably toyota certified. I think it depends on how long you want to have the car for. If you're not going to have her for more than 5 years I'd say the get the used lease one. But if you plan on having her for a while, get the new one, just to be sure.

6. Andy Tallman

Andy Tallman New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You both think the same way I do. I have never bought new before (I'm only 24, and have taken care of my TDI very well & had it for 7 years after buying it new). The Prius C's seem to hold their value pretty well, so the used ones are not much cheaper than a new one. I'd like to have the car long term for sure!

7. tk1971

tk1971 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Someone on this board posted that they got a 2013 Prius C "One" for $16,913. (I assume that the car was new.)

New Prius C "one" owner | PriusChat

When I got my One at full MSRP, the difference between the One and Two was only about $1000, so the price you got quoted for the new Two seems to be within expectation. I'd either look for a new 2013 One (better deal?) or stick with the new Two.

8. Andy Tallman

Andy Tallman New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! There aren't any 2013s available locally, so I am seriously considering the 2014 Two. The dealer has added a few incentives on the price because it is an in stock model.

9. legoadan

legoadan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Super reliable too!! Link relevant.

10. legoadan

legoadan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Also, I paid 19,800 out the door for my Prius C 2 if that's relevant at all. A pretty good price.

11. Andy Tallman

Andy Tallman New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks legoadan! I appreciate your help along with everyone elses. This forum is great!

That is pretty close to what mine would be with the currency conversion. Just over 20k in Canadian.

12. Andy Tallman

Andy Tallman New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well.. I did it. New Prius C Two coming my way tomorrow. Very excited! Grateful for this forum that provides so much great information. Looking forward to learning more and using the info very soon!

13. tk1971

tk1971 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Pics, please.

So, what's on your mod list?

14. fermuscolo

fermuscolo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    For reference only I bought 2 weeks ago a Prius C1 2012 with only 7400 miles for $15900 in Puerto Rico where the new 2014 C1 is $22500 and the government gives back $2000 tax reimbursement. Im very happy with it!!

15. vernon birdman

vernon birdman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    One should also consider that Andy is purchasing in Canada. Canadian C prices are considerably more than the US. I paid 30$K for my 2012 tech plus package C (new)