1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Chevy Volt To Have Lower EV Range, 30 Miles Or Less?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Sergiospl, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2016 Chevy Volt To Have Lower EV Range, 30 Miles Or Less?

2. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It might not be around in 2016.

dbcassidy likes this.
  3. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would actually expect that the UK drive cycle profile would be significantly different than the US. Changing the EV range to match the UK drive cycle could makes sense.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is the beauty of the current and future telematics and tracking. The manufacturer can design the car around real life driving scenarios that fit the highest number of drivers.

They will also have to contend with balancing a drop in battery pricing and a reduction or total end of electric car rebates/incentives.

5. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    GM is trying put out a lower cost version of VOLT with a smaller battery to appeal to another segment.
    They just introduce the luxury segment with the Cadillac.

6. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt that they would go with a smaller battery in the Volt (US version) because the current battery size garners the maximum US federal tax credit.

Sergiospl likes this.
  7. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    [​IMG]
    I think GM should instead keep improving the EV range on the Volt as they did for the 2013 model year, then look at a possible Cruze Phev-20.

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just like a current PIP owners thread here on PC, most Volt owners wish for MORE range not less. I think improvements/tweaks in battery design/manufacturing, weight reduction, and de-contenting on a base model will help lower the purchase price on future models while improving EV range (43ish).

9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    In my opinion, it would make the most sense for GM to offer a second lower range in a less expensive version.
    If the AEV range is cut (I don't think it will) when I am done with the lease on my Volt, I would not be replacing it with another Volt. The current range fits our driving needs very well.

10. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That might be suitable for another market like the UK but I don't know what the UK drive cycles are. The 38+ for the US seems to be a sweet spot and like fotomoto indicates, it seems most want more EV for the same price rather than less EV for less price.

Folks could buy a PiP if they want less for less, if Toyota are still making them.

All that said, I think the other major factor to be considered is a faster charger. The assumption for the US market was a single overnight charge on 120V. The UK/Europe has 240V standard and faster charging during the daytime easily extends the effective daily EV range.

A PHEV-20 (EREV) or 30 with one hour daytime charging might be the sweet spot for the UK market.

11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think gm really wanted to make an announcement, one of their guys slipped up. Perhaps telematics will tell gm, that European driving habits want an epa 25 mile range and American a 40 mile range. They could then go to a more build to order phase for the 25 mile range and keep the 40 mile one at car dealerships in the US. In Europe they could drop the range. With the tax credits in the US, I doubt many will chose a 25 mile range car, but .... once gm hits 200,000 units which might be in that model economics change.

12. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    GM Working On 200-Mile Range EV
    March 7, 2013
    GM Working On 200-Mile Range EV - HybridCars.com

austingreen likes this.
  13. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe Volt will have battery options like Tesla does. Lower EV range is lower cost Etc

14. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    A GM 20 EV range VOLT MSRP for $32K will be a great competitor for the PIP.

JMD likes this.
  15. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Makes sence since the Ford C-Max Energi which is a Plug in EV with a 20 Mile Range starts at $32,250 List. Than add some options and subtract tax Credits etc. Ford has a $3,250 Rebate at POS incentive now. The car has leather seats, Power seats, rear camera, 9 speakers etc in the mid trim.

PIP is a great car but 10 Mile range and 62 MPH all EV max speed has it's limits. Perhaps Toyota needs to release a newer far range PIP and get a inbetween model with features above the Basic but below the Advanced. It also needs to drop the price of it's current collection since a few competitors are suprassing it in price for performance(EV Range).

16. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With less than 700 PiPs sold last month, not sure I would want to chase that rabbit down the hole.

I would watch and see how the Ford C-Max Energi sells and where.

JMD likes this.
  17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Leafers are pretty skeptical about Akerson's claims, esp. when they seem to involve Envia. See My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - All "Future" battery technology thread. The devil's in the details.

I'll believe it when people have actually seen it, know the details of the mileage test involved, and we know a price tag.

For example, the '13 JDM Leaf is rated at 228 km on the Japanese JC08 standard ( 2013 Nissan LEAF Rated at 75 Miles Of Range, Now At Dealerships) which is 141 miles. That's pretty damned useless when it so far has gotten a 75 mile range per EPA tests (that's still supposedly somewhat in limbo) and in Tony's 1st range test of the '13, he got 81 miles at 100 km/h (62 mph).

18. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    John CNN had Good article about a week ago that claims the typical American wages adjusted for inflation are lower than 1966 but cars are more expensive. If the Chevy Volt dropped prices they may sell more cars.

That is in part why used cars are selling so well

dbcassidy likes this.
  19. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll go look at the CNN article but my friends tell me that the reason used cars are selling so well is that too many people took a credit hit these last four years and second hand financing is their path to a replacement car. The prime auto lenders (new cars) are just not touching blemished credit. The lending programs on these used cars is where the money is at, not the car itself.

If that is indeed the situation, dropping the price on the Volt won't improve a buyer's credit score.

On the other hand, maintaining the vehicles residual value will accelerate new sales as more folks get comfortable with the vehicle only costing them a few thousand a year, including fuel. In the short-term, while federal tax credits are in play, the residual looks wonky to the unintiated. "How come the Volt drops $7,500 when it gets driven off the lot?" You and I understand it's the federal tax credit but the average car buyer doesn't realize this.

austingreen likes this.
  20. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    GM drops the Volt price (less EV range), the market gets expanded for Volt sales. Sales expand, market share increases for GM.

What's not to like with GM taking this approach?

Seems like a win / win!:)

DBCassidy

JMD likes this.