1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

25,000 mile service

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by timdsd, Sep 24, 2014.

1. timdsd

timdsd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My 2012 PIP has 17,500 miles and is due for its 30 month service. Now that regular maintenance is no longer covered by ToyotaCare, I'll have to take care of it myself. My local San Diego dealer charges $80 for 25,000 mile/30 month service, and that service consists of the Toyota-recommended tire rotation and inspections, without an oil change. That seems high priced, since in the past, the same dealer sent me flyers in the mail promoting $80 for the same minor service including an oil change.

Do I need to have this service interval performed to make sure Toyota will honor my warranty at some future date?

Ariel1000 likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    no, you don't need those inspections done. It's nonsense. If you follow the maintenance schedule on your owner's manual, you should be ok.

rxlawdude likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone (including you) can do the service, if you worry about the warranty, simply document that it WAS done.
    Service History Online - Toyota Owners
    allows you to add service records for your Prius.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree with both above. 80 bucks isn't outrageous, but you're not getting much. a few 'inspections' and a tyre rotate.

5. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No, that is a ripoff. You don't need that to keep in compliance with the provisions of your warranty. All you need is a tire rotation if you want it and you can do that anywhere. I think $80.00 would be too much if an oil change was included.

rxlawdude likes this.
  6. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    G/F has had her tires rotated every 5,000 religiously by the local dealer--- $35 each time. I advised her to go to ''Walmart'' or ''Sam's'' and pay $40 [ $10 per tire ] one time and it is for the life of the tires. Her tires now have 52,000 on them,,, I will give her a new set for her birthday in Dec. and get her the lifetime rotation, I have had it for years on my Z-71 pick-up.

Ariel1000 likes this.
  7. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Another thing that is not too bad of a deal is lifetime balancing and rotation of the tires you have on your car at Discount Tire. Anything to stay out of the Toyota service department. They have a way of finding other things "you need" when you go there, throttle body cleaning is one of their favorites.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That sounds like a fair deal, so long as she does not mind wasting time at Walmart.

I find it much simpler to rotate the tyres at home while the oils are draining. I'm also reminded to clean them a bit. If I was smart I would also lube the brake pins every 30k miles or so and spray the CV boots with silicone to keep them from drying out.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing, the 25000 mile check up also includes "visually inspect brake pads/discs". That would be in the course of the tire rotation. Now how in-depth that brake inspection is gonna be, is a factor. Ask them what they're doing for that inspection?

10. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Man, if I tried to give tires to my fiance for her birthday, the wedding would be off. :)

JC91006 likes this.
  11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    As a lawyer, you should know it is all about spin:

"A beautiful lady deserves new shoes on her birthday ..."

Ariel1000 likes this.
  12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If she's a lawyer, she would say such a caring and generous man deserves some quality alone time with the guy friends.....indefinitely

SageBrush, rxlawdude and Okinawa like this.
  13. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    When you look at the long list of "inspections" performed by a dealer it looks impressive. My take is when you are paying for all of these "inspections" you are paying for nothing. I just recently took my new Avalon in for the 5,000 mile inspection. The oil was down less than half a quart. I am going on a long trip and I don't like it so I bought a quart of oil and brought it up to the full line. When they were doing all of that checking I thought they were supposed to top off all fluids. Better follow along and do your own inspections that are important to you.

#13 Okinawa, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    rxlawdude likes this.
  14. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Obviously--- you are younger than us. I am 70, she is 69, and a set of new Michelin ''Premiers'' would surely tickle me--- for ANY kind of present. I want her to have new, highly rated tires when the winter rains set in. I like my Premiers so well, I will put some on her ''v''.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Lester, how are the Premier A/S working for you? Feel, noise, rolling resistance, whatever. I've been reading very good reviews/ratings and I see they're available in our 215/45R17 size; with our mileage we'll realistically need new tires in about 2 years, or when I snap.

16. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think they are fine, I will buy more for myself, as well as for Elsie's ''v'' this fall/early winter. I went from the stock 15'' Yokohama to a 16'' wheel with the 215-55-16 Premiere and now my mpg is the same as the 15''s. They are also very quiet, handle excellent, and ride really well. Elsie and I both agree on this. I initially was going with the ''Energy Saver'' or a ''Pure Contact'' for her---- will now go with the Premier. I was drawn to this tire by the evolving tread pattern staying good, and now ''Tire Rack'' rates them above the Continentals for traction. I just hope they come up with another rebate by then, the $70 one expired Sept. 21. [$80 rebate when I got mine ]

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We've been buying at Costco, and there's typically 2 sales per year, on any particular brand, $70 off on sets of 4. The downside is then you go into the store...

18. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, if they do not offer a rebate,, I will just go with the ''Pure Contacts'' as she can buy a lot of gasoline with a $200 difference in the tire sets. We will give up a few mpg for that kind of money. Not much difference in Tire Rack's rating of the two tires.

19. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Wait, Lester - if you're 70 why are you a "Junior Member?" :) Seriously, you've only got a ten year head start on me.

20. timdsd

timdsd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks everyone for your input. Instead of paying the Toyota dealer $80 for service, I went to a trusted local independent shop, where they charged me $50 for the same service - rotate tires, inspect brakes, check fluids. Although I missed out on the free car wash the dealer usually throws in with the service!