1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

30-60 Motorcycle Racing Oil in Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dr AS, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Dr AS

Dr AS New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Apologies in advance for the noobness of this question, but ...

I have some Bardahl 30-60 Motorcycle Racing Oil, and am curious whether it's safe to use in my 2007 Prius (base Canadian model).

From the few pertinent articles I was able to find on the subject, it seems as though motorcycle oil is generally OK in cars, but not the reverse.

However, this is assuming the viscosity is correct ...

BTW, I live in a pretty temperate climate (Vancouver, BC), and definitely do not do any racing (it's all I can do to keep her in EV mode without pissing off the row of people behind me!).

Thus, I would imagine that my engine is, if anything, less exposed than the average car - let alone a racing bike - to extreme high and low temperatures.

Definitely wouldn't want to risk anything, but it would be a shame to have to get rid of high quality oil as well.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Don't do it.

Use only the viscosity recommended by the manufacturer.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Many motorcycles require a wide range multi-weight oil like 30-60; mine uses 15w-50. They need this because the manual transmission is NOT separate from the motor and uses the same oil for its lubrication needs which includes the need for sheering additives due to the gears meshing with each other.

The prius hybrid drive train doesn't need these heavy weight oils since the trans is separate and uses it's own special synthetic oil. Plus, efficiency is the name of the game so ultra light synthetic oils (0w-20 or 5w-30) are the only ones you should run.

4. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    0-20 and or 5-20 . Don't even think of anything else. Take time to read the manual! If your car did not have one, check out the auto wreckers for one! Some times you can get lucky. Hal

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    5W-30 is the correct viscosity oil, and I understand that Toyota Canada has recently added 5W-20 to the list.

I suggest that you give that motorcycle racing oil to another motorcyclist who can put it to good use.

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A heavy oil can lead to no-start/triangle codes. 0w20 or 5w20 synthetic every 10,000 miles would be ideal for Vancouver, imho.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing wrong with the quality of the oil, Dr, it's just too thick. The engine wouldn't rev as freely, lubrication wouldn't reach where it should, and it may not even start. It'd be like you trying to swim in molasses instead of water. Surely you know someone who could make good use of it?

8. Dr AS

Dr AS New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Man, you guys are punctual. Why bother emailing anyone when you can post on this forum!

Thanks to all for your helpful replies ... which, BTW, unanimously confirmed what the oil manufacturer (not to mention my common sense!) had warned me about using this high viscosity stuff in the Prius.