1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

40psi improved ride height & responsiveness

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by robertmaria, May 1, 2014.

1. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i increased all 4 tires to 40psi (forty). and it's like 2014 c1 is a completely different car now. the steering and suspensionn is extremely responsive. the car sits higher. it even looks better. the ride is more compliant. seriously the ride was harsh and almost jolting when the tires were at 34~32psi. i have the stock EL400 tires. i think the softer tires caused the car to drag and make a delay in its response. now the suspension does its job when it's supposed to, resulting in a much softer ride to me. funny how that works out, huh.

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I challenge you to measure the ground clearance at several points and then reduce the pressure by 6 PSI in each tire and then measure again. If it changes more than 4 MILLImeters I will be really surprised; amazed in fact.

The placebo effect is a POWERFUL thing.

minkus, robertmaria and bedrock8x like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i used to let the pressure out of my tyres to make it under a certain bridge.

robertmaria and dogfriend like this.
  4. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    hahaha i accept your challenge but measurements will be tomorrow. i was in the rainy Nanawale rainforest next to Lava Tree State Park in Pahoa's Puna district. and i was today prepared to panic in intense torrential rains as my Prius c1 was tire spinning uphill twice in rim deep Hawaiian mud. i kept thinking about all i read here how snow would totally shut down the traction control tire spinning (something like that,, whatevaz). luckily the Lava Goddess Pele sent the car uphill anyway although I nearly slowed to a stop quickly sinking into the mud. :) ;)

Mo G and bisco like this.
  5. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    ok, with about 2k miles on my stock EL400 Turanza Bridgestone tires, @40psi the tire tread sits visibly more upright like a regular biasply tire would instead of that rolling underneath itself look that radials usually have. perhaps its because the tires are still new.
    the tires seem to have more grip when accellerating at 40psi.
    AND @40psi the front lip of the rubber spoiler no longer gets crushed underneath the curb like it did before when the tires had a lower pressure. so nice to no longer hear that crunch sound when pulling away after parking. (and yes the spoiler is still there very intact under the front bumper; there's no damage)
    I am convinced 40psi is the best pressure and it makes a measurable substantive difference.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like 42/40, just to maintain the factory differential.(y)

robertmaria likes this.
  7. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i will try the 42/40 and let you know. but i am concerned that the max psi on the sidewall was 44. i dont like being so close to the edge.

8. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    That's fine for YOU.....to be convinced......but I asked for some actual data and you don't seem to be able to get it, even though you said you would.

Does that mean that you took the measurements, saw little or no measurable difference and now won't share the actual results with us because of embarrassment.........and instead are back peddling and blowing smoke ????

WHERE'S THE BEEF ??? :)

robertmaria likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i know what you mean, but the edge is a lot higher. they wouldn't put it on the sidewall without a safety margin. you could also try 40/38, i have no idea if it makes any difference.:)

robertmaria likes this.
  10. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    that it doesnt scrape the curb in the front anymore; and that it sits more upright on its tread like a biasply instead on that rollee fat radial look is the way i measured it. and I believe it's pedalling although in a sense it could be peddling,, sorry dont smoke,,, a cold beer sounds good

11. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    hmm 40/38 ? maybe,,,

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm thinking a nice cold porter...

robertmaria likes this.
  13. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    seriously though, and perhaps i should take it to another thread,,, whatz the story on the spinning tire tractioncontrol shutdown in the mud (and for you mainlanders - in the snow). i refuse to have a car that will put me in a panic by shutting down when i need it to goooooooooo.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i haven't seen a workaround for this except a good set of snow(mud)tyres. in snow, the higher pressure can be a negative, not sure about mud tho.;)

15. There's a way to disable traction control: Disable Traction Control for winter situations? | PriusChat

Skylis 1'tires also had 44 psi for the maximum sidewall pressure. I set the front tires' rest pressure to 40 psi and the rear tires' rest pressure to 38 psi. (This is 40/38)

Skylis 2's tires have 51 psi for the maximum sidewall pressure. So, I tend to keep the pressure closer to 43/41. I would have more but this past winter destroyed the roads around here; it's like driving off road (n)

robertmaria likes this.
  16. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Won't this cause the tires to wear out prematurely? The center portion of the thread will be bald, while the outside edges will appear comparatively unused?

17. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    ok i did it and it said "Maintenance Mode". ohhh i went around the block real slow (Traction Control warning light was on). and the car made a horrible grinding kind of vibration/noise inside so i stoppped although i was only going like 3mph. maybe some oiler or something pump doesnt run in maintenance mode??? if i broke it well thats too bad i guess. dealer here in Hawaii is a sweetheart and supportive if i did break something. i hope probably everthings ok but i think i wont do that again.

18. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    idk. after 60,000 miles it might i suppose

19. *shrug* I haven't tested it, maybe you just heard the tire spinning. Why not just buy off road tires if you're in the mud so much?

20. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    it has been an awesome stable car in torrential rains. i couldnt understand the criticism of the tires i had been reading before this. it is the most stable car in the flooding rain i have ever had. but we also have secondary roads that are muddy. and i remember driving on new cooling lava in Kalapana about a decade ago where my tires on my HD Sportster started smoking it was still so hot. and we do get snow on the Mauna Kea although that is moot since only 4wd is allowed above 9,000ft elev anyway. personally i prefer the 175s the car comes stock with because the car is so light. i dont see how wider tires would get enough grip without more weight. the lucky thing is theres always enought sharp gravel lava on the secondary road for me to get traction so far when i've gone to Puna. and gone are the days when i took my rwd Coupe DeVille Caddy through cane fields and irrigation rivers 4wheelin it, just for fun. but i digress,,,