1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5.5" rim size when 195/60/15 calls for 6" rim?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kryztuh, Jun 2, 2010.

1. kryztuh

kryztuh New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I've spent a crazy amount of time reading threads and trying to make the best tire choice to replace the Integritys, being a complete tire novice.

I thought I was good choosing the 195/60/15 HydroEdges. I went to Sam's club and they gave me huge hassles and refused to install the tires.

So here I am re-reading threads and doing tire size calculators and I have one last question I haven't resolved.

My 2006 Prius has 5.5" rims. The 195/60/15 tires call for 6" rims. This isn't a problem?

Thanks in advance.

2. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have hydroedges in the stock 185/65/15 size on my 07 and they work fine. Why not just use the original size and be done with it?

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As-is, the Prius tends to show greater tire wear on the shoulders compared to the center of the tread. If you use narrower wheels then recommended, this actually might help the uneven treadwear, as the narrow wheels would tend to push the center of the tread out compared to the shoulders.

Most tire shops will not be eager to install non-standard tire sizes due to liability concerns. If you choose to use a non-standard size and can find a tire store that will help you, don't be surprised if you are asked to sign a waiver that shows you accept liability for any problems that may result.

4. kryztuh

kryztuh New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have read in this thread (although I did not go through all 46 pages, I did read quite a bit of it), and many other threads that the 195/60/15s were preferred.

I didn't see the rim size addressed, but I will re-read and find out if maybe drivers who upsized really have a 6" rim and not a 5.5"...

5. kryztuh

kryztuh New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks.

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 195/60/15 TripleTreds on the stock 2004 rims, and they're great. No problems at all, and no waiver, though the first shop did try to talk me out of it. I'm very glad I didn't listen to them.

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In that Tire Upgrade thread you linked, nyprius says the 15" wheels have a 6" wide rim.

Where did you get the info that the wheels were 5.5" wide?

In any event, I've had 195/60R15 Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds on my Prius since 2007 and haven't noticed any issues. In fact, everything seems great.

8. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Both Costco and Sam's Club will not mount any tire that is not the same size and speed rating as specified in the owner's manual. They changed the policy around 97-98, before that I have no problem mounting any size tire on my cars.

You are trying to mount a wider tire than the OEM tire, so they give you the run around about the rim size, the 195/60/15 can be mounted on rims from 5.5" to 7".

9. roverguy78

roverguy78 Elite Lurking Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    195/60 tires fit the stock 15 inch wheels just fine. The rims look like they were made for 195 tires.

I just took some rough measurements. The stock wheels on my '06 appear to be at least 6" at the bead seat. It also looks like they are the same width as the wheels that are on the base 2010 model, which comes from the factory with 195/65 tires. I was able to directly compare the two.

Just find somewhere else to have them mounted. I used Discount Tire and had no issues with them installing the wider tires.

The 195/60 is only about 13mm wider (at the tread) than the 185/65. It's not like you're trying to put seriously over-sized tires on the car. More like the car came with under-sized tires.

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup.

And I just checked my Gen II 2007 Prius Owner's Manual -- it says that the rim width is 6".

11. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've had 205/60R15 Potenzas on my 2005 for 3 years with no problems in terms of fitment but I did take a hit on ride quality and mileage.

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here in Australia 195/60/15 is the recommended tire size! (as per the owners manual)

13. fgoodyear

fgoodyear New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you go to Tire Rack and get your tires, you can get the size and rating you want and use one of their authorized installers in your area, most of them will install what you want. Sam's , Walmart and the bigger chains won't put anything but the size AND rating specified in their book. I have an '08 Camry Hybrid w/16in wheels. This is a HYBRID now..... It is rated for a V rated tire.... 140 miles and hour rating. Am I ever going to go 140...NO! V rateds are softer and have less mileage warranty. Sam's had the right size in stock but lower rating...no go. For mine it would have been $180 more for the set, installed. My installer said the same "Are you gonna drive that 140mph?" He said to get what I wanted and he would install. I could go 2 rating lower an dit would work just fine. Instead of a V rating and 4yr/50k warranty, I got T rating and 5yr/75k warranty. It is not a sports car, I don't need that soft and sticky a tire, I want long mileage