1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

80mph to Santa Fe, and 47.5 mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by abq sfr, Sep 18, 2007.

1. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I drove from Abq to Santa Fe last weekend, my first all freeway trip. I went 80mph when traffic allowed, which was 90% of the way (I was late), both ways averaged 47.5 mpg. I set the cruise control on 80 and the car drove fantastic, and never slowed down, even on La Bahada Hill... I was zipping past all those SUVs trying to struggle up the hill. Definitely a fantastic freeway cruiser. My traction battery did drop below what I've ever seen before, and stayed there until I got onto surface streets. But that did not seem to make any difference on the hills. Now to try to make up my lost mpg on this tank, up to the 58 I usually get on my commutes!

2. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abq sfr @ Sep 18 2007, 12:30 PM) [snapback]514327[/snapback]</div>
    does your 47.5 include the way back?

3. pappyt

pappyt Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SureValla @ Sep 18 2007, 09:42 PM) [snapback]514594[/snapback]</div>
    I drove from Abq to Santa Fe last weekend, my first all freeway trip. I went 80mph when traffic allowed, which was 90% of the way (I was late), both ways averaged 47.5 mpg.

4. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pappyt @ Sep 18 2007, 09:53 PM) [snapback]514597[/snapback]</div>
    oh my bad

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abq sfr @ Sep 18 2007, 11:30 AM) [snapback]514327[/snapback]</div>
    Without AC? Tire pressure?

Last year some Prius drivers reported 41 MPG but they were using AC and we don't know what gasoline or tire pressure. Getting 47.5 MPG is within the expected value especially if the temperatures were warm but not using AC.

Bob Wilson

6. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abq sfr @ Sep 18 2007, 12:30 PM) [snapback]514327[/snapback]</div>
    I drove from NY to Florida and average out to 48pmh both ways. The A/C was on, set on 76, tire pressure 40/38, 2 passengers plus cargo one-way, 3 passengers plus more cargo back, cruise control on 78mph to keep up with the traffic going south, past the Virginia state, and same going back until reaching the Virginia State, then one needs to adjust the speed. Some hilly terrain through Pennsylvania going and coming back.
    From previous highway driving experience....the better mileage would have been achieved maintaining a much lower speed, and of course....less passengers and less cargo.

7. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SureValla @ Sep 18 2007, 07:42 PM) [snapback]514594[/snapback]</div>
    AC on both ways, I think it was 43 mpg on up trip (SF is over 7000 ft), the average after getting home including coming back down was 47.5. Drove up in morning, back down at 10pm, filled up at Costco at I-25 and then left. Temperature ranged from 65 to 80, it was a warm evening in Santa Fe last Saturday! TP is 40/38. And the car was already warm at the start of the mileage reset. And it was 2 of us in the car. I'm impressed with the speed going up hills at 80, speed never faltered with cruise control on except after reaching the top of really steep hills, speed increased a couple above set point.

8. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I sure hope you stopped in at Tortilla Flats on Cerrillos road for a Margarita and a couple of sopaipillas. We have been up that road from ABQ to SF. Someday I will retire in New Mexico.....someday.....someday....

ABQ SFR: notice the Zia in my avatar, its why I chose that one over all the others....

9. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KD6HDX @ Sep 19 2007, 09:20 AM) [snapback]514784[/snapback]</div>
    Nope, I'll have to try Tortilla Flats. Food/Margaritas after wedding in La Fonda by the plaza, killed time at the plaza and went to the Egypt exhibit at the SF Art Museum, reception was at 6pm. We usually just pass through SF on way to the inlaws in Taos and eat home cooked Northern NM food there. My wife makes excellent northern NM food whenever I want, restaurants never best her cooking! She doesn't do sopaipillas anymore though :( When you move out here, we have some good ham radio clubs... I'm president of one.

10. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Roger - Copy.

Maybe we have spoke in the past. Every time I'm in Santa Fe I bring an HT and talk to some of the locals. We almost attended a breakfast meet on a weekend, but we were unable to make it after all.

Yeah, the sopaipillas are basically fry bread with honey, but we only eat them when were in town. There is a small place near our home in Orange County that makes them, but nothing compares to the way they puff up at high altitude. My wife has been making a lot of chile colorado, posole, and green chili dishes. She was born in SF, and her parents are from there too. We visited Taos last year and left pretty quick. There was a sudden windstorm / brown out, so we left.

I fished the Pecos river one morning and caught a little brown trout (catch and release)

My Mother in law died last year, she had never gone back after her parents died, but we took my Father in-law this year, it was sad for him.

I look forward to meeting you and the club someday.