1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A few ways to keep your Prius cool in the summer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TheEnglishman, Jun 20, 2013.

1. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure about everyone else, but anytime that I drive my car in 85+ degree temperatures, I feel a bit guilty. I think about how torturous this must be to "my baby." Here are some tips you can take to keep your Prius cool in the summer.

A couple preliminary steps: If you're in the process of searching for a Gen II Prius, these are things you can do to make sure your model will stay cool.

1. If you're in the process of buying a Prius right now, and you want it to stay cool, then steer clear of dark colors -- especially black. Having a white Prius with the grey cloth interior maximizes your cooling power because A. White attracts heat the least, and B. Cloth seats' temperatures are very cool compared to their leather counterparts. If you seriously want the leather for the comfort and ease-of-cleaning, I won't stop you at all. I understand some people just can't stand cloth.

2. (Pretty much a given.) Make sure that the air conditioner is fully functioning. No matter what special technique you may have for unrolling your windows, an air conditioner is far more aerodynamic at highways speeds and offers greater comfort.

3. Scope out for any models you can find with a tint.

Post-buying steps: If you already own a Gen II, follow these.

1. Keep coolant levels in check. I don't know how much this can be stressed. If your Prius doesn't have enough coolant, overheating CAN occur, leaving you stranded in the heat waiting for Big Joe's Wrecker to pick you up for a while.

2. Use your sun shade religiously. If you own a sun shade and plan on being away from your car for 15+ minutes, use the sun shade.

3. Put a WHITE towel over your dashboard. This will keep the heat off your black dash, keep it from fading, and is much easier to put on/take off than a sun shade in my opinion.

4. Park it in the shade at any time possible. Some people may be concerned about a bird's nest being on top of the tree or building you may park under, but if you're looking for maximum comfort and are willing to rinse off any blemishes later, then that is a serious heat-beater.

5. Pop the hood when you get home after a hot day. Some people do this to protect their rubber or whatever. I just think it's a good way to cool down the engine bay. If heat rises, and your hood traps it, common sense just says that the area will remain hot for a while until that heat escapes.

6. Put white clothing on hangers on the clothing hooks in the rear seats. Bonus points if you can manage to fit a towel over the rear windows. Just be aware that your visibility will be reduced.

7. Roll the tonneau cover over anything in the trunk that you don't want to be blazed by the sun i.e. groceries, laptop, ice, whatever else you may have back there.

8. When parking at home, put your Prius in a garage or carport. If you have neither and live in the city, buy it a nice light body cover. This will not only keep it cooler but will also preserve the paint and reduce the chance that your lights will be oxidized, since your keeping the general elements off them and protecting against harmful UV rays.

9. If you have the time, give your Prius a nice car wash if you feel she did a lot of work. This is the equivalent of a bubble bath to a person who has had a long day and is certainly reserved for the obsessive owners.

10. Make sure to put a giant box fan by your Prius's front end when it's parked in your garage. Again, a step for the obsessive, and it also consumes more energy. Bonus points if you can use solar power from your house's roof to power the fan.

I hope that these steps will keep your Prius from getting a heat stroke this summer. Some of these steps are quick to perform while others may take quite a bit of time or money. It just depends on your degree of obsession which steps you will follow. If you have any interesting suggestions, I'd LOVE to hear them ;)

Bob G IA likes this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My suggestion is not to worry about it, besides keeping an eye on engine compartment fluids. There is no lack of summer heat here in southern AZ, 110 degree highs are pretty normal. The Prius does great in that environment.

paphillyman likes this.
  3. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    One of the really neat things I like about this car, for relatively short stops I have left the car in Ready with the climate control on AC/Auto and lock the door with the mechanical key. Interior is still cool upon return.

4. azsaxguy

azsaxguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I second that. In Tucson, AZ, we do try to get about six or seven cars under any tree in a parking lot, use the windshield cover and buy white cars. Other than that we just turn on the ac, watch the mpg plummet and live through the summer at 112 degrees. Whatever we can do so we can touch the steering wheel when we get in the car is helpful.

AzWxGuy likes this.
  5. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For those of you who want to keep the interior cool in very hot sun...
    I made my own sunshades for both windshield and hatch glass that install OUTSIDE of the car. They are made from a reflective bubble-wrap type insulation that sells in Lowes (called Reflectix), cut to custom-fit to the shape of the glass. I made them folding from 3 parts attached together with a little gap by heavy duty clear tape. The gap is then covered by aluminum tape. These shades a kept in place by blue masking tape (my car is blue). I tried magnets but after a season use they have scratched the paint a little. So Painters tape it is, cheap looking but works great.
    This (especially if you leave side windows cracked a little) keeps the car MUCH cooler then a regular sunshade.

Thanks,
    - Alex

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I sometimes buy Ice in bulk to bury my vehicle in ice to "get it's temperature down" .
    Also a cold water enema helps.

This isn't a horse, or a human...I kind of think Toyota has taken into account that their vehicles will be driven in hot summer environments.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of these things are good ideas all the time....checking coolant level etc, etc...

But it's a machine, designed and built to operate at high temperatures and also be operated in high temperatures.

Just use some common sense if you are driving up a mountain on the hottest day of the year.

Otherwise, a car wash is NOT a bubble bath and your car isn't going to get heat stroke.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    There is a long-standing joke here that you learn to drive your car in the Summer using only two fingers. That is about as funny as having to run your home air conditioning for a couple hours during the winter so you can enjoy your fireplace. It is the desert after all.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After moving to southern AZ four years ago, I installed light-colored leather steering wheel covers on our two Prius to cover the black plastic steering wheel rims. That works really well.

AzWxGuy likes this.
  10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never saw much proof of white cars being cooler, but here is old NYTimes article on school buses with white tops. The idea started in California they say...gotta love 'em.
    [​IMG]

11. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Just yesterday I put in an order with the Heatshield Store for one of their windshield covers. Same one that is listed in the PriusChat Store, but I couldn't figure out how to place an order there. That should help keep the direct solar heating off the center console, and maybe even reduce the interior temperature a bit. You can't do much about that when the free-air temperature is 109 F outside.

12. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My opinion is interior/exterior color of car makes very minimal difference on interior temperature. The outside temperature of the paint (if you put your hand on the hood) is much higher on dark cars.

This study in Wisconsin agrees: Does a dark-colored car heat up more in the sun than a light-colored car? | The Why Files

"The external color does not significantly affect how much the inside of a car heats up in the sun, says Sanford Klein, director of the UW-Madison Solar Energy Laboratory and professor of mechanical engineering.
    Cars warm up in the sun due to the greenhouse effect: Sunlight passing through the windows into the car is mostly absorbed by interior surfaces, then radiated back to the air as heat. That heat does not pass back through the glass, which is an effective insulator for radiation, and the inside temperature can rise above the outside temperature.
    “The visible radiation that we see is transparent to the glass but thermal radiation is not and gets trapped by the glass,” Klein says. “As a consequence, the inside of the car will warm because radiation is coming in but not much is going back out.”
    The interior color may make a small difference in internal temperature, he says, because darker internal surfaces will absorb slightly more solar energy than light ones do.
    Tinted glass will have an even more pronounced effect, he says, by reducing how much solar radiation enters the vehicle in the first place."

PLSPUSH likes this.
  13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's probably correct. It's consistent with most other posts we have seen here. But why do some cars have white roofs? Is it just style? I think some mini-Coopers and some SUV have white roofs.