1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A pic of a door with some NXT sound dampening

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by G Man v5, Apr 24, 2015.

1. G Man v5

G Man v5 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Added to both the outer and inner skins....Sound is getting better and better!

NVX is the correct name of the material.

Attached Files:

• v5.jpg
      v5.jpg
      File size:
      432.3 KB
      Views:
    Robson, KananDume and PLSPUSH like this.
  2. KananDume

KananDume Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can I ask, is the purpose of this to lessen the outside sound or help with the acoutics of the stereo?

3. G Man v5

G Man v5 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Both.....It takes a tad bit away from the road noise...but not much. But it does really help with audio.....I can get over 82 db's now with the factory system using an IPOD.....JBL Greenedge....and with the addition of the Kicker Hideaway Sub it is pretty sweet sound. I removed the factory door speakers and replaced them with JBL GTO series....Sold the OEM speakers for more than the cost of the replacements!

Another "benefit" is the way the door feels and closes.....It now closes and feels like a Lexus!! Not a Prius! The total weight added? Oh, about 20 pounds...

KananDume and Chazz8 like this.
  4. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've been suspecting this for years... and it was confirmed by some videos by audio shop owners on youtube... you guys are using way too much of this stuff. the goal is to damp panel vibrations where there's no reinforcement. Basically wide open "plains" of sheet metal. And even then, you only need a small patch/square of it. This is evident from the way manufacturers dampen their cars. If you look at the stock Prius exterior door skin, you'll notice a 5"x5" square right smack in the middle of the door panel. Not the entire panel. Since this particular type of material really only prevents panels from vibrating, the best bet for this stuff is to damp any empty parts. That's how I did my car, I used very minimal amounts and the doors sound and feel more solid as they shut. I did not do the entire panel.

5. G Man v5

G Man v5 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But it looks really cool without the panel on....

By doing the inside as well, it really help with the low end (bass)....

6. Ben2jz

Ben2jz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    The more the better in my experience if you can sacrifice the weight that it adds. Spot patch will do the job for many with noticeable change in sound and road noise. Normally one patch where the speaker sits and one behind it on the inside door skin.

Btw op, you added new speaker to oem system without an aftermarket amplifier?

7. E Risch

E Risch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Reflectix foil insulation (home depot $15) works well, I overkill it with bedliner. better sound, better a/c & heat[​IMG]

8. rogan

rogan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, you're on the money here. It's a mass loading damper so only really works on unsupported panels. It's useless on an inner door skin as a sealer - should use sheet plastic or similar. A great use I found was reducing heat. I has an Alfa 156 that would bake if parked up on a sunny day. A single layer of Dynamat reduced cabin heat substantially.
    Having said all that, I used to go completely insane with the stuff: my old car had a 36ft2 bulk pack in each door.

9. G Man v5

G Man v5 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Yup. Added some Infinity (I think) or some other 2 ohm speakers...(very few choices available)...and added the Kicker Hideaway sub. After upgrade, sound dampening, I can max out about 84db's. Pretty decent sound.

10. Bmidd

Bmidd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Is the price comparable to Dynamat?

11. G Man v5

G Man v5 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model: