1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Push for Plug-In Infrastructure

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by randreed, Nov 11, 2008.

1. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A Push for Plug-In Infrastructure

Imagine having to unplug your Electric Vehicle (EV) in the morning before your commute, and then plugging it in again while you are at work. Would it really be that much of a hassle? I don’t think so.

First, there is the issue of safety. Any EV plug-in point must prevent the possibility of electrocution of the driver or causing damage to the EV. This includes environments where it may be raining or snowing when the physical connection is made. There must be a foolproof means to power down the circuit while it’s physically plugged/unplugged.

Second, it must be standardized and interchangeable. We are talking about an electrical connector, so there is probably something already on the market that will do the job nicely. One format for 110vac changing and another for 220vac charging will suffice.

Third, it must be simple and easy to use. The average person should be able to connect the cord from their EV to the EV plug-in point.

Forth, there must be a way to meter each EV plug-in point and bill for the usage. We already have technology capable of reading a serial number through power connections. Billing might be similar to the EZ-Pass system, or some employers may want to offer EV plug-in points as an employee benefit, which would obviously make the company greener in the eye of the public.

Fifth, the proper infrastructure does not exist yet, but we each have the ability to push our elected officials to help make it happen very soon. Every workplace connects to some source of electrical power (the grid), so we just need a way to get access to that power in the parking lot in a safe, standardized manner.

Tax incentives for employers providing EV plug-in points will make it happen!

Our elected officials can set standards and implement tax incentives, but only if they hear from the people that we want this to happen.

One of the common things I hear is that efficient cars will not be acceptable to the American public. In my opinion, the big three US car manufacturers have been telling the American public what it wants for far too long. It’s time we tell them what we want and time they listen to their customers and work towards a greener solution, or face the consequence.

I ask each of you to contact your local, state, and federal elected officials and tell them (in your own words) that you want this to happen. Please feel free to mention my five points, and also to repost this idea other places to get the word out.

Lastly, I would like to hear what others think about this idea.

2. jrmgkia

jrmgkia Wish I was cycling

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    All of the issues you mentioned have been solved by a small startup called Coulomb Technologies. They demoed the technology this summer at Plugin 2008 in San Jose. Here is a link to their website: Coulomb Technologies, Inc. So really all we need is for cities, apt complexes, parking garages, stores, etc. to install these. I think the hardest part is the chicken vs. egg dilemma. Very few people have plugin hybrids so as of now there is no demand for these charging stations. On the flip side plugins may not take off until people can easily charge their car at there apt complex, parking garage, work place, etc. What I like about Coulombs technology is that it doesn't require the government to "set standards and implement tax incentives" but rather it provides a market based solution where everyone benefits without the inefficiency of the government.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Absolutely, Randreed.

I'd like to see a tax credit for companies who offer plug-in stations to their employees. Heck, I'd be more than happy to pay 20 cents/kwh to my employer for use.