1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS/VSC/Brake lights on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by wiluspyder, Aug 18, 2006.

1. wiluspyder

wiluspyder New Member

Hi all,

Lately (after Toyota inpsection!!) weird things have started to happen.
    It seems everyday when I drive the car (2004) at no particular point of time the car will start to sound a high pitch noise and the brake/ABS/VSC lights are on and the brakes are not working very well at all.
    I have to stop disconnect the battery and it will go away after a few minutes.
    I'm taking it back to the dealer but they have no prius tech until Tue next week so I wanted to know if any of you know what this might indicate.
    I know that just lately they did the ECU reprogram (recall) and maybe that had something to do with it.
    Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

JW

2. marjam

marjam Member

There are so many reasons why this set of lights come on. Many are related to brakes, many to computer programming, some to coolant system and Themos valve, etc., etc., etc. Most of them also come on when you run out of gas (or so I have seen here). My only answer is at the dealer and to be firm if you think anything that they have done caused this. I have an '04 and nothing like this happens. Since you have to disconnect the battery (I am assuming the 12V) that battery may be dying and it controls all the boot up of computers and the connection from the hybrid battery to the car. Be sure you have them check this battery. We are getting close to the end of the useful life for the OEM battery. Having to disconnect the battery to make the car run is nonsense!

Good luck and let the group know what happens.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    where's the high pitched noise coming from? what makes it happen? can you describe the noise? anything else unusual accompany these lights?

4. wiluspyder

wiluspyder New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 18 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]305398[/snapback]</div>
    It seems to be coming from the left side of the dash. It's continous and really high pitch.
    I don't know why they light up. But it happens at different speeds.
    When all of this happens and I turn off the car and start it again the noise will only be on when I put my foot on the brake and the the ABS pump seems to be making ticking sound.
    I don't know how else to describe it but hopefully it happens on Tue when I'm taking it to the dealer to have it scanned.

Thanks

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like an issue with the ABS system then?? Cause the ABS system will probably sound the alarm off for the VSC too since VSC uses ABS to brake the wheels.

I don't know which is worse - your case or mine... I had my ECU fried when they did the update.

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The high-pitched noise is probably the little alarm beeper mounted
    next to the brake ECU under the dash, above the brake pedal. See
    if that's what's making the noise. That's there to WARN you that
    there's a problem with the braking system in general and they may
    not work right, vindicated by your observation that they don't work
    right. You're probably on the direct hydraulic backup path, where
    your foot grabs the front brakes without power assistance and of
    course regen is pretty much out of the question.
    See if the techs might have pulled your ABS relays up front in the
    engine-bay relay block, and forgot to put them back in. That would
    give you no pressure in the accumulator and cause all sorts of
    nightmares. Pulling those relays is sometimes a service practice
    to avoid high 12V battery currents suddenly kicking in when the
    brake pump runs [even with the car off]. Why they would have messed
    with them in that case I can't imagine, but lack of brake pressure
    is probably involved somehow with the problem.
    _H*

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sounds like you're going into fail-safe mode. could be an abs relay, maybe. could be something more.

by disconnecting the 12v you're clearing any codes that are set. if you can, get this to happen right before getting to the dealer and drive it in. that way the codes are still in there and it's easier for them to diagnose.

hwo far does the car usually get before this happens?

8. wiluspyder

wiluspyder New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 18 2006, 05:58 PM) [snapback]305588[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm,
    That's what I concluded as well today when it happened yet again.
    But it went away once I turned the car off and then started it again.

I don't know but I just don't have much confidance in the technicians that looked at my car. I'm gonna try to replicate the issue and then just dry right to the dealer on Tue when the tech is back.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Aug 18 2006, 08:18 PM) [snapback]305637[/snapback]</div>

Ok, I'll play around to see if there is anything that they might've forgotten to put back in.
    Thanks for the info

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 18 2006, 09:20 PM) [snapback]305663[/snapback]</div>
    Yesterday it happend after 15mi but today after 100mi so it's not consitent.
    Yep, I'll try to drive in with the problem but I have to wait until Tue when the prius tech is back.

9. wiluspyder

wiluspyder New Member

One more observation.

While driving the car yesterday it happened again but this time I can't cancel it by disconnecting the 12V battery.
    Now, as soon as I open the driver's door the high pitch noise is on for 5sec or so. Also as soon as I step on the break the same noise is back.

Could this be some kind of issue with calibration of some sensors? I'll have some codes on Tue evening so I'll post here.

JW

10. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    could be a number of things- once you get the codes we'll all know much more about what's going on.

11. wiluspyder

wiluspyder New Member

Ok, got the codes today and the tech suggested to look at the connector on the ABS pump. BINGO!!
    It was loose. Why you ask? Because the car had a front end damage and during the accident the inverter was pushed in a bit and it hit the ABS pump connector which in turn made it loose. Dilema solved.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

JW