1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC Compressor

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Invert Doc, May 5, 2015.

1. Invert Doc

Invert Doc New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have less than 60K miles on my 2011 Prius and my AC started making clattering noise. The dealer said the compressor was shot and needed to be replace at a cost of $2,400. This seems to be a very high cost and seems to be an awfully expensive repair for a car less than 4 years old. Have others had this problem? Am I getting ripped off by the dealer?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's probably typical for a dealer. maybe look on ebay or a salvage unit? be cautious where you take it though, prius electric a/c is very different from most.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe not ripped off by the dealership, but by the whole corporate structure: jacking up prices.

Couple this with cavalier design decisions. There's a guy here with an issue: a hose connecting to his gas tank was chewed through by rodents, and he's being told the whole gas tank assembly has to be replaced.

bisco likes this.
  4. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this is an old discussion, but I'm having the same issue in my gen 2. I got a refurbished ac compressor off eBay and refrigerant for less than $500 with labor at an independent shop.

bisco likes this.
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    'LectroFuel likes this.