Welcome to PriusChat

We'd love to have you join our community and participate in the conversation! Sign up for FREE today.

Add backup camera to 2013 prius two

Discussion in 'Gen III 2010+ Prius Audio and Electronics' started by FrenchFry, Jul 9, 2013.

Social Buttons

1. FrenchFry

FrenchFry New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi,

I just purchased a 2013 prius two a few days ago, and I would like to add a backup camera to it that connects to the existing screen.

I purchased a toyota prius backup camera that came from a 2012 prius from ebay for $150.

My question is, now that I have the vehicle and the camera, how do the two come together?

Are all of the wires already present in the 2013 two, or do I need additional supplies? Is the harness there?

I have read a few threads about installing after market cameras, and these threads seem to imply that the factory camera is simpler to install. I just can't seem to find any detailed information about this.

Is it plug and play with the factory camera?
    Will any wires have to be cut?
    Will this void my warranty?

Any information pertaining specifically to this camera and the 2013 two would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
  2. our1vue

our1vue Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lots of info on adding a camera can be found in the thread "backup camera for 2012 prius two - touch screen non nav" or something like that. Assuming nothing has changed from a 2012, you are missing the 4 wires going from the back hatch (where the camera goes) to a connector in the headliner. Getting at the headliner connector is painful, so some have run the 4 wires to the drive side kick panel. There should be 4 connections on the camera:
    Power connection which goes to the car white wire:
    Power return connection which goes to the car orange wire:
    Video + signal connection which goes to the car red wire:
    Video - signal connection which goes to the car black wire:
    I think in that other thread, someone showed what pins were what on the camera. Also in that thread, someone appended how to remove the inside panels.
    I just saw your questions. Again assuming that 2013 is the same,
    1) after you attach the 4 wires to your camera, it should just work.
    2) you are going to have to connect the camera wires to the car wires. To do that you are going to have to add the connectors to the headliner connector , OR use splicing connectors, OR cut the wires and use wirenuts/solder.
    3) If you put in the camera and the radio dies, they could say it was caused by your camera install.
  3. FrenchFry

FrenchFry New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your reply! Some people say that their car has the harness for the camera already, and others say they don't.

I'm curious as to whether the 2013 prius 2 has the harness or not.
  4. our1vue

our1vue Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    FrenchFry,
    The harness is mostly there :). It is there from the radio to the headliner connector. In the other thread, Wes_33073
    put a camera in his 2013 prius (look for append number 285). He ran the wires from the back hatch to the kick panel.
  5. FrenchFry

FrenchFry New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! I will take another look at that thread. If I were to purchase an aftermarket wiring harness that plugs into the radio, could it be removed down the line for warranty purposes?
    Or is it possible to get the factory connectors?
  6. NoMoreNow

NoMoreNow Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Op,
    I have same car 2013 Prii, When you said, you got at ebay, I think you brought the kit from that seller
    that I saw.
    See if your kit came with the T-Harness like picture the below?
    [​IMG]
  7. FrenchFry

FrenchFry New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi,
    I don't have a kit, just a backup camera (no wires) taken from a 2012 prius.
    Is there a kit you recommend?
  8. NoMoreNow

NoMoreNow Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think I saw your ebay......the connector is on the top and with no pigtail in the ad, right?
    I'm not sure hook that up, since is oem camera, it requires few more parts to get up and running.

For me I brought the CCD camera ($20) in the thread & brought the T-Harness BCUS2 from Beat Sonic ($57) with $5 coupon off "FIVEOFF"

Linky for camera...with Quick Shipping to US.

Linky for T-Harness
    bcus2 - Beat-Sonic Bcus2 Back-Up Camera Interface For Bespoke Radio + Other Toyota Head Units ( For 2012-2013 Toyota And Scion Models ) (Add Backup Camera To Head Unit) - Beat-Sonic
  9. riceroni87

riceroni87 Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where does the white and red wires connect to. Just curious since im going to do this mod next week

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  10. NoMoreNow

NoMoreNow Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

oh I missed your post..... The Red is Power ACC, and the White is Camera Power.
    Very simple to hookup, the hardest part is running & feeding wiring.
    If you needed my picture album(s) just PM me.

[​IMG]
  11. riceroni87

riceroni87 Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    awesome im sure when i start this i will.
  12. priusgreymint

priusgreymint New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So what's the verdict ? Can you plug and play a 2012 backup camera on a 2013 non navi setup?
  13. our1vue

our1vue Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Priusgraymint,
    Need a little more details. Are you taking a stock 6V camera from a 2012 prius and putting it in a 2013 ? Assuming the 2013's still use the 6V camera, you would still need to run 4 wires from the back hatch where the camera goes to the connector in the headliner (or to the front drivers kickpanel)