1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on 2008 prius for newbie in australia quite urgent :)

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Shakti, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Shakti

Shakti New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello I have no idea how to start a conversation so am hoping a prius regular here will be able to help me -

I am wanting to purchase in Sydney Australia 1 of 2 , 2008 itechs i have looked at:

they have 70K and 91K on clock
    the 91 k one apparently only used on weekends so infrequently which reading the forums suggests battery (12V) issues...
    the other from a wholesaler that bought it from a benz dealer....traded in - one owner both...obviously the prices are different..and the wholesaler will trade my honda

I had the vin# for the 70K one checked and no recalls but apparently the main toyota mechanic for prius in sydney (via a friend) who checked the vin said it will definately need replacing of the main battery within 2 years and that will be $2000 AUD...how would he know that?

AND this HID (not sure what that means) lights is that something i should be considering an additional expense, i only test drove in day.
    Plus tyres and lights and well i couldn't even turn the damn car on - but the dealer could so am i just a bit blonde (i am a brunette ha)

the regular on line forums all RAVE about these cars but then i come over here and there is a bit of a shit storm - i have spent more days than i care to think about researching and wavering back and forth

I am exhausted from back and forthing between these 2 prius and suv diesel hyundai, i really want the eco footprint and the mielage or as we would say kilometre age .

CAN ANY ONE TELL ME WHO I GET ONE OF THESE CARS INSPECTED BY TO TEST DIAGNOSTICS TYRES ENGINE ETC? THEY BOTH HAVE GOOD LOG BOOKS FOR SERVICE - and what that would cost?
    of course the dealer guy and the private didn't suggest i take it to toyota for diagnostics

note the 70k one has mandatory 3month warranty as it's dealer other has none both out of factory warranty as older than 3 years is the way i understand it, and don't understand if the battery is under warranty anyway still?

I am so exhausted can someone please give me a yes or no or direction?

I am happy to call anyone in australia or on skype overseas... i need the car for 200km round trips a few times a week to sydney and city driving and some interstate trips - i am borrowing all cash to buy this car, last car honda crv i love it but fuel is outrageous now

THanks so very much - Shakti

Read more: BRIGHTER HID lights? | PriusChat

2. Shakti

Shakti New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you by the way guys and gals, it must get so boring with the new prius peeps asking same old questions :)

3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The mechanic cannot know it will need a new battery in 2 years. No one can know. What I do know is that these cars are highly reliable and the batteries typically last at least 8-10 years or more. I wouldn't know which one to buy as the condition is not known. I personally look for a well maintained car with the fewest miles possible.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I concur, go for the best condition with the best miles and history. The gen2 is almost bomb proof mechanically. Assuming the car hasn't been abused you should be fine.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    High Intensity Discharge headlamps can go funky and are expensive to replace. part of the fun of owning a prius!:p
    unless aus is different, hybrid parts should be longer than 3 years? try logging into toyota owners and searching the vin's for maintenance records. the best thing to do is reset the mpg's, take each for a good long test drive and see how they do, feel and sound. all the best!(y)