1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on buying 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Gorilla97, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Gorilla97

Gorilla97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've started looking into buying a used Prius to replace my current daily driver (2000 Echo with 235k miles).

I found this local 2007 model with 85k miles and seller asking $14k OBO. This is the touring model with package 6 (leather seats, backup camera, 6 disk CD changer, GPS navigation, auxiliary hookup for iPhone, iPhone charger).

Other than the regular carfax and service history details what else should I be looking for? Also, does $14k seem to be a good price? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

2007 Toyota Prius Hybrid

2. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That looks like a nice car. I believe the price is a little high. Don't be afraid of higher miles as these cars will last a long time.

Drive the car and make sure everything works the way it should and there are no lights on. If you are not mechanical it may be worth paying your local Toyota dealer $100 to do a pre-purchase inspection.

3. Gorilla97

Gorilla97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After doing a little more research I too think it is over priced. I think I really want a Gen III model and since my Echo is still going strong I'm in no rush to buy right now.

4. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These cars will easily go 500k+ miles. You can find many nice cars with 100-150k miles in great shape with all of the options for $7-8k. Depending on how many miles you drive you can save $100-$150 per month on gas with a Prius vs Echo. Any Prius that you purchase in the $7-8k range will not depreciate much over the next 3-4 years even if you put another 75-100k miles on it.

Gorilla97 likes this.
  5. retneprac

retneprac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Gorilla,
    I bought a 2007 Base Model - Package 6, here in Vermont for $ 8,000, a month ago. It has 135,000 miles on it. It came with brand new Hancooks and a very good set of snows. I put $1,000 into it for various repairs, including front shocks and struts, and swapping out the radio/cd for an identical unit from Ebay for $75. (Had Toyota put it in for $60) The car had everything recommended done at 120,000 miles and it rides like a dream. The Toyota web site showed me that it was dealer serviced every 2 months for the last year and dealer serviced at all the major mileages for the first 4 years. (I'm the 3rd owner - the second owner only had it for a year.) Car Fax was clean. No rust, very clean, quiet and one of the 3 colors I found acceptable. Purchased from a private party on Craig's List. I watched Craigslist closely for Vermont, New Hampshire, Upstate New York and Central Massachusetts, for 3 months. I knew what I wanted and had the cash to offer and close quickly. Took it up to a nearby ski resort for the test drive. I had been studying PriusChat for a year or so and kind of knew what to expect. Knowledge (and luck) are great things to have. I think that I was very fortunate. I've put 1,000 miles on it and everything seems to work perfectly, now. Getting 54 MPG. Good luck in your hunt! cliff in the Champlain Valley

6. Gorilla97

Gorilla97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. retneprac

retneprac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It has a lot of miles, but if it has the options you want - why not look at it? The price gives you some fix-it-up money. It looks like it's in very good shape and the driveway / garage pictured might indicate that the car has been garaged. I think being garaged is a huge benefit. Especially with the OK climate (no offence - Ours is harsh here in Vermont also. I mean 30 below is 30 below.) If you can get the VIN and look at the Toyota maintenance records - you might find that you have a winner. Here, dealers document their attempt to find anything wrong and the results of their searches. good luck! cliff

8. Gorilla97

Gorilla97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ended up finding a 2008 Touring model package 6 with 88k miles for only $10.5k! Best deal I could find hands down and I'm very happy I kept looking until I found it.

retneprac likes this.
  9. Fubar1764

Fubar1764 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In good condition, that's a hell of a deal! Congrats! Make sure you do a PPI.

10. Gorilla97

Gorilla97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's in excellent condition with a full service history as well.

I have to ask what is a PPI?

11. Fubar1764

Fubar1764 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    PPI = Pre Purchase Inspection

12. Gorilla97

Gorilla97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Doh! Thanks

13. retneprac

retneprac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Congratulations!! Nice mileage number and a good color. You should enjoy it a lot. Thanks for letting us know what you bought!

Gorilla97 likes this.
  14. Gorilla97

Gorilla97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks I'm loving it so far. Much nicer ride than my previous Echo. Had my brother in law who is a Toyota mechanic check it out and he gave it the clean bill of health!