1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advise before I buy my first Hybrid

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by KimPrius3, May 22, 2016.

1. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I never considered a Hybrid before and have only owned non-hybrids. Went to the dealership to test drive a Rav 4, and noticed this cute little Hypersonic Red Prius in the corner. Test drove the Rav 4 (which was just like driving my hubby's Tundra). Then just for grins, I test drove the cute little thing in the corner. OMG!! It rode so smooth and quiet, was sooo comfy, and even had the pep I so enjoy. I also fell head-over-heels in love with the cockpit/dashboard!!! Not knowing anything about Prii or hybrid, I have been doing everything I can, to learn all I can, before I buy. I didn't know about "Prius trims" (2, 2 eco, 3, 3 touring, 4, 4 touring), the one I drove was a 2. Since then I have learned a few of the differences. I currently own a 2011 Camry and feel a lot intimidated by the technology of the Prius. I didn't even know how to start the car until the dealer told me. I am leaning towards the Prius 3. . .
    1.) Any recommendations otherwise, and if so why?
    2.) How difficult is it to learn to operate the cockpit/dashboard with NO EXPERIENCE?
    3.) I really love the HUD for the GPS. Is it standard in the 3? (I think it is but not sure)
    4.) Will I need a different phone in order to connect with the Qi? (I think I have an Android)
    5.) Are voice commands available if the phone is not an I phone?

Any and all advise is welcome. I am saving the down payment and hope to buy in the Fall when I think I can get a better deal, then sell the Camry myself. When that time comes I may come on this forum and ask for assistance in seeking out the best buy on the east coast.

Thanks in advance, for your help.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! i cannot answer your questions, but you are very smart to do your due diligence before purchasing. you have come to the right place for great advice. all the best in your decision!(y)

ETP and KimPrius3 like this.
  3. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you, I don't want to just buy the car and drive it off the lot not knowing anything about hybrids or the technology of the 2016 Prius.

bisco likes this.
  4. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I was in the same boat. Never considered one. Now I'm hooked.

I agree with you. My experience was the same. Smooth, quiet and comfortable! (y)

It is easy to learn. At first it may be little daunting... but in a very short time you will become very comfortable with it.

The Color Head-Up Display (HUD) is part of Advance Technology Package on the THREE. The THREE Touring includes that package. The Toyota packaging is a little confusing to wrap your head around at first.

Here is a great resource to better understand: Visual Tables of Gen4 Package Combinations | PriusChat
    That is the ultimate guide (on this site) that makes it all understandable.

Depending on the Android model, it will work if it's a newer model with Qi charging capabilities.

Yes, voice commands are available regardless of what type of phone you're using.

Enjoy your new adventure! Half of the fun is learning about it and you have come to the right place for help and assistance to all your questions! ;)

KimPrius3, JohnF and bisco like this.
  5. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You can start reading here - there are a lot of explanations about the Gen3 technology, which is essentially the same in principle as Gen4, all in one place.
    Prius Generation 3 ("gen 3") - Prius Wiki - Wikia

If you think you have an Android, for sure it is not an iPhone, which doesn't support "natively" the Qi wireless charging standard.
    Some Android phones support Qi charging. You need to check on the user's manual of your particular phone, or you tell us here which model of phone you have.
    If it the hardware of your phone doesn't support wireless charging via Qi, like the iPhone doesn't, you can get accessory covers that allow you to do that (which is probably what I am going to do when I get my Gen4, since iPhones don't support any type of wireless charging).

#5 pakitt, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
    KimPrius3, JohnF and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a few quick facts: the 12 volt battery only fires up relays and computers. 2016 12v is under the hood and sized more like a regular car, but previous years were in the hatch, small and a bit prone to draining and shorter than average lifespan.

once you press the go button, the computers take over. you drive it like any car, but the software determines when to use the battery only, the engine only, or both.

the large hybrid drive battery is under the rear seat, and delivers power to the wheels, as well as a/c and other electric functions.

braking is different. when you let off the go pedal, the motors inside the transmission slow the car down and regenerate electricity into the battery if needed. same when you step on the brake, until you push hard enough, then, the disc brakes take over.

prius comes with several warranties: 1 year 12 months over all, 3/36 on certain other components, 5/60 on emissions, and depending on what state you live in, 8/100 or 10/150 on the hybrid system, although the transmission is not included.

the hybrid battery tends to last at least as long as the warranty and usually substantially longer, especially in cooler climates. a new one runs a bit over $2,000. plus labor when the warranty is over.

KimPrius3, JohnF and pakitt like this.
  7. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't worry too much about learning everything beforehand. Just learn as you go along, read bits of the manual and other sources as they apply, and things will fall into place.

I've "sold" Priuses to three friends, and what they like most about it is the comfort, not having to stop for gas as often as they did in regular cars, and the reliability. Fuel economy was important to only one of the three. I am more interested in fuel economy, but unexpectedly came to appreciate the comfort and relative freedom from gas stations almost as much as the fuel economy. It's just an easy car to travel in, for me anyway.

kithmo, ETP and KimPrius3 like this.
  8. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, it seems I have come to the right place.

I mentioned getting a Prius to a co-worker who drives a mini-cooper and her response was to tell me that the environmental footprint left by the making and disposing of the battery were larger than if I just drove a gas engine. But from what I've researched this is not the case.

'LectroFuel and ETP like this.
  9. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My 5th Prius and 4 Honda Hybrids. Prius is the finest car ever made. Just drive it and enjoy it. The quality exceeds a MB to me as I owned two.

10. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Goodness that myth has longevity! It was originated by a long-ago discredited pseudo-scientific PR firm. They concluded that a Hummer was more environmental than a Prius by using some ridiculous assumptions as to lifetimes of the two vehicles.

In the first place, Prius batteries last a LONG time. And then they are recycled, because they are a rich concentrated source of the compounds needed to make new batteries! All 2016 Prii except the Model 2 use Lithium ion batteries.

But if your friend really believes that, tell her she should get rid of her cell phone, iPad, and laptop because they all use lithium batteries! And probably have a shorter lifetime than the Prius battery.

Oh, and you'll be using about half the gas she does, not to mention brakes and tires.

#10 JohnF, May 22, 2016
    Iamjo20, orenji and ETP like this.
  11. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think I read somewhere that if you turned in your dead battery you get a discount on the new one . . .?

Thanks for educating me. I probably won't tell her all this unless she brings it up again. Thinking about gas production, it just didn't make sense to me that a battery was worse for the environment than gas.

12. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Attempted answers====I never considered a Hybrid before and have only owned non-hybrids. Went to the dealership to test drive a Rav 4, and noticed this cute little Hypersonic Red Prius in the corner. Test drove the Rav 4 (which was just like driving my hubby's Tundra). Then just for grins, I test drove the cute little thing in the corner. OMG!! It rode so smooth and quiet, was sooo comfy, and even had the pep I so enjoy. I also fell head-over-heels in love with the cockpit/dashboard!!! Not knowing anything about Prii or hybrid, I have been doing everything I can, to learn all I can, before I buy. I didn't know about "Prius trims" (2, 2 eco, 3, 3 touring, 4, 4 touring), the one I drove was a 2. Since then I have learned a few of the differences. I currently own a 2011 Camry and feel a lot intimidated by the technology of the Prius. I didn't even know how to start the car until the dealer told me. I am leaning towards the Prius 3. . .
    1.) Any recommendations otherwise, and if so why? Four Touring with Advanced technology package unless you are young. Then it doesn't mater.
    2.) How difficult is it to learn to operate the cockpit/dashboard with NO EXPERIENCE? It will take awhile. 30-60 days maybe. If you are young then 72 hours.
    3.) I really love the HUD for the GPS. Is it standard in the 3? (I think it is but not sure) HUD is over rated. Had it and quit using it. GPS is nice to have but you can use your cell phone for that.
    4.) Will I need a different phone in order to connect with the Qi? (I think I have an Android) They sell an adapter for $3 on eBay if you need it.
    5.) Are voice commands available if the phone is not an I phone? Voice commands are through the Prius interface. For voice dial you have loaded your phone book first into the navigation system.

Any and all advise is welcome. I am saving the down payment and hope to buy in the Fall when I think I can get a better deal, then sell the Camry myself. When that time comes I may come on this forum and ask for assistance in seeking out the best buy on the east coast.

Thanks in advance, for your help.

#12 ETP, May 22, 2016
    'LectroFuel likes this.
  13. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I believe Toyota is top notch quality. I haven't even gotten the Prius yet, and I've NEVER been the type to really care what car I drove. But there is just something about that Prius that has turned my head!!! It just felt like it fit me to a tee. I'm not very tall and any vehicle I've driven always seemed to big for me. Getting into that Prius just fit me like a glove.

kithmo, JohnF and ETP like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    correct. the 2k as after the core return charge, and the old batteries are put to new use or recycled.

KimPrius3 and ETP like this.
  15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you like the Prius and they are low cost of ownership...chances are nothing big will go wrong in your ownership period even if that is 10+ years. Driving is pretty much driving like any car.

If you're looking at the Level3 it has a small spare tire and level floor with seats down. Level4 skips the spare tire and you get a little more space in the back.

Give us your state of residence and state of purchase so you do not mess up on the CARB extended warranty.

KimPrius3, bisco and ETP like this.
  16. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Wow, I should have done that.

KimPrius3 likes this.
  17. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I believe you do. But then why would you keep it?

Here's a Slate article. This hoo-ha was about 8 years ago:
    Is it possible that a Hummer's better for the environment than a Prius is? My friend is 5'0" and loves her Gen 3 Prius.

KimPrius3 and ETP like this.
  18. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I looked at the Tables of Gen4 Package Combinations and it indicated that the ATP was only available on the 3 and 4. So, if it is a package, does this mean I have to pay extra for it since it is not standard? (I really want it)

ETP likes this.
  19. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If the Color Head-Up Display (HUD) part of the Advance Technology Package is the attraction... let me say this. In the very beginning, I too wanted that feature. But after studying all the different combination... (like I wanted a FOUR Touring) and in that case the HUD is NOT a part of the car package and there is no way to get.

I eventually got over it. And after many test drives on different models without it, I don't miss it. I could car less about it. Most of that same info is very close to window on TF
    T display.

Keep studying the Gen 4 Tables. You will eventually see that compromises sometimes have to be made for the greater good of what's really more important to you.

Then go take another test ride (or two) once you've learned more about the configurations.

ETP and KimPrius3 like this.
  20. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I live in Virginia and know absolutely nothing about the CARB thing . . . I also have relatives up and down the east coast, from Maryland to Florida. Would drive a bit to save $$$.

I'm 5'2" on a good day :D

I did test drive a C but could not go with the small space in the back. Didn't like the look of the V. I do want to take a few more test drives but I don't want the closest dealership (1/2 hour away) to think I'm ready to buy from them. Guess I could just be honest and see if they will let me test drive a few times before the Fall.

ETP likes this.