1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

aftermarket backup camera for 2011 Volt?

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by tuc, Aug 9, 2011.

1. tuc

tuc New Member

I bought a 2011 Volt without the optional backup camera. Is there a way to add one (aftermarket or perhaps even OEM), do you think?

I don't know if the wiring for it is there are not. I presume the software is there.

2. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I recommend you contact your Volt Advisor and ask them.

Also, you should check out gm-volt.com, there are experts over there that can answer those technical questions for you.

My guess is that it will not be possible now.

3. tuc

tuc New Member

Thanks for the reply. Nobody at gm-volt.com seems to know about this either.

I think it may just be too early. I wouldn't be surprised if someone like coastaletech.com was the first with details.

4. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the issue with OEM will be that it only comes in a bundle with the park assist sensors, which would involve changing out the bumpers for the ones with the sensors, etc... There is some interplay between the two (the sensors detect something and a warning symbol comes up superimposed on the back up camera picture (if you're backing up)), so I don't think GM will separate the two, and I have to assume you'd void the warranty if you tried to hack in something after market to the screen.