1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air con starting to smell a bit - what are my options?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bronze84, May 26, 2013.

1. Bronze84

Bronze84 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I've been using the A/C a bit more recently, and I'm starting to get the musty smell when first turned on and then again when turned off.

What are my options to rid the smell? I have tried one of those cans where you leave it in the car with the A/C on full. To be fair it worked for a while but the smell has gradually come back.

The system is due a service as there is no history of one ever being done and it is 5 yrs old now. Would a service rid the smell? I understand that it is a build up of bacteria in the pipes/vents etc.

I've never had an A/C service before so I want to approach with caution. The thing is it doesn't really need a re-gas as it still blows ice cold.

Do Toyota (UK) dealers do it at a reasonable price?

Sorry for all the Q's!

Martin

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There are two ways to do this. You can buy a kit with instructions that basically run the ac on recirc air and discharge an aerosol in the car leaving it operating for a given time then discharge another can with a perfume in it.

Second alternative Toyota do a can that sprays up through the drain vent into the system and again a perfume. Both work well no need to pay the dealer for this.

John (Britprius)

3. Bronze84

Bronze84 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cheers John. But is it worth getting it serviced as well - what does an a/c service include?

4. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It is probably a plugged condensate drain. There have been some threads on how to clear the stoppage...a search should find them. You do not need any refrigerant.

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW, I have noticed the smell the OP is referring to. When I changed the cabin filter to the activated charcoal type I have noticed that the air is much fresher. I do agree that the A/C is the contributing factor, however I also note that the smell can be there even when the drain is not plugged.

Ron

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If the AC is working ok then leave well alone.

The only serviceable items if it working are the cabin air filter and removing the bacteria that cause the smell, and checking the drain hose is clear. To check the drain just run the aircon for a while if water can be seen dripping from under the car it is clear.

The level of refrigerant can be checked by following the instructions below if this is your concern.
    jp1.JPG
    John (Britprius)

wass likes this.
  7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got mine serviced by Toyota a couple weeks ago for £40 inc vat. They re-gassed it (the main reason I went in), sprayed that fungal stuff and left a nice smell in the car. The a/c is now super cool again, doesn't have a nasty niff and doesn't blow hot air instead of cold.

For £40 price matched with the main agents, you can't go wrong.

8. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

You can use the cans but remember to remove the cabin air filter if you are using the one to spray in to the inlet of the air intake under the dash. and many work better when the evaporator coil is dry (not wet) use your vent with( NO A/C) for a day on a higher temp setting most chemicals will wash off fast on a wet dripping a/c evaporator coil. Some people are vary sensitive to any chemicals with their nose, lungs or throat and others find the smell of perfume to be repulsive or sicking. I use one or a combination of three products with no chemicals or perfumes, first is a vary strong OZONE O3 commercial generator, this to works best on a dry evaporator, ( the lower the humidity the better for OZONE O3 ). If the whole car smells due to dogs, smoke, mildew, ect, then I use a dehumidifier in the car, and a large commercial grade carbon air scrubber ( 15Lb. to 25Lb. size) with the O3 OZONE generator all three. Run a electrical extension cord in the window, 1: roll up the windows 2: place the car vent in recycle mode 3: turn on the blower on high (NO A/C ). This will clean the whole interior sterilized, OZONE O3 kills viruses, bacteria, mold, fungus and neutralize all odors 4: let the dash blower run 2 hours. After that open all doors to let the OZONE O3 out because strong OZONE is not safe for a human to inhale. Not the customers car will have no small at all.
    I have a Pruis C and after a few months my cars a/c started to smell , I hit it with the OZONE problem solved.

Fostel and SFO like this.
  9. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fostel likes this.
  10. Bronze84

Bronze84 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow thanks for the great replies guys! I'll take a good look at all the suggestions

11. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Surprised Ed hasn't jumped on this. He is a strong advocate for the drain cleaning option. Basically some kind of foaming cleaner is injected through the drain tube up into the condenser to clean the mold inside.

Here is a picture of the drain tube:

[​IMG]

Also it's good practice near the end of trip to turn off the A/C but leave the fan on and open the vent to outside air to dry out the condensation to prevent mold from growing.

Fostel, SFO, 08maggrey and 2 others like this.
  12. wass

wass New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I spent 15 years managing an air conditioning installation department. This guide is spot on. By the way, most british servicing organisations send their people away for a short air conditioning course for them to become experts whereas the air conditioning industry send their trainees to college for 4 years to become experts. Do you imagine that motor mechanics know what they are doing with air conditioning systems?

Bronze84 likes this.
  13. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Right on wass !. 4 Years collage on air conditioning only, YES I KNOW, verse training several hours training class in automotive . Most of the short class if you can call them that, are put on by A/C parts supply ( will say any thing to sell parts), A/C Chemical supply's selling snake oil and some good stuff and( will say anything to sell product), or by Air conditioning tools and equipment supply's ( who also will say any thing to sell product make it sound easy to make sales and profit ) some info is good and what they leave out is a crime, most of it is to get every last penny out of the customers wallet.

Bronze84 likes this.
  14. Bronze84

Bronze84 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which area under the car is that found?

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Underside of the car to the rear of the engine and transmission towards passengers side. An exhaust clamp with spring can be seen on the left of the picture.

John (Britprius)

16. Bronze84

Bronze84 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cheers John

17. Burntdough177

Burntdough177 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    so did you have any luck with that smell. i have it too now and the dealer wants to charge me over 150 to spray that foam stuff in it.

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dealer in my area charges $100 out the door. $150 in Cali sounds right. If you can't do it yourself have them do it.
    You have to jack the car up pretty high to get under that area. Its easy once you jack the car up but I hate that part.
    That hose is right behind the pass wheel 2 feet in. You have to be right under it to see it.
    There's alot of mold building up in that case and its a very good maintenance thing. If the mold corrodes it can really clog up the ecoil and kill ac efficiency. If really bad the evap coil itself needs to be replaced. Thats really really $$$$$$.
    There is a TSB out for a new evap coil. I prefer to just maintain mine because if they rip the dash apart I know it will never ever be the same. I have no squeaks or rattles now.

I usually do it every time I change the trans fluid since the car is up. I get the trans, the motor oil, lube the chassis, and then the ac.
    2 spray cans one is the cleaner with special attachment the other is the perfume can. That perfume really stinks.
    I don't use it.

Also take the top black plastic engine cover off under the hood. The one that covers the radiator. You can now see the condenser coil in front of the rad. Go to Home Depot and buy there spray can of blue ac coil cleaner. With car OFF rinse that coil off. Try to brush gently any debris off the coil (don't bend the fins). If any fins bent they sell a fin tool in the same place as the cleaner. Hose the coil down with the cleaner. Let sit and then rinse off. AC will run really good after that and it will increase the life of the ridiculously expensive compressor also.
    You can do the same to outside compressor unit on your house and the coil in the air handler. That REALLY helps on the outside unit. House will be freezing!

Good Luck!

19. Burntdough177

Burntdough177 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will have to try this. thank you. Its hard knowing that your car is smelly.

20. mandichka

mandichka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    seems the drip line can be accessed and cleaned from inside the car

Fostel, edthefox5 and koolingit like this.