1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Airbags stolen, alarm recommendations?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by UDRandman, Apr 13, 2013.

1. UDRandman

UDRandman New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just got my car back from the dealership after someone broke my driver's side door and removed y steering wheel airbag and the one near the pedals. The dealership had mentioned that there were two others in the shop with the exact same thing, and through some searches in the forum I have found that this seems to be common, at least in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Does anyone have a recommendation on an 2 way remote alarm system with remote start (for those days it is >100 degrees here, there are a lot) for around $500 installed? I was curious if they will work normally with a Prius. Any suggestions are helpful.

2. wheelsup

wheelsup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    UDRandman likes this.
  3. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How did they break in? Did they smash out a window? The OEM security system does not have a shatter sensor, but many dealers are adding the KARR security system for Prii that sit on their lots. Most KARR systems have the shatter sensor. Some even offer GPS tracking should your car be jacked.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow that's too bad.
    Back in March someone from Dallas reported having her airbags stolen.

My poor Prius | PriusChat

So it does seem this crime is happening in Dallas.

The above linked thread kinda hijacked into a long debate on gun control. But at least you can take some comfort knowing you aren't the only one this has happened to.

Sounds like an organized ring doing this in Dallas. Hope they catch the people.

5. Yakuzahi

Yakuzahi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    UDRandman likes this.
  6. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That sucks

7. UDRandman

UDRandman New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is awesome...probably my airbags...

They broke the driver's door lock mechanism, according to the dealership, that is the preferred method of entry. I don't know if there is something specific on the prius that makes this exceptionally easy...

I did see this previous post, and without going into anyone's personal thoughts or opinions on gun control, I can assure you that I would be much more apt to stop a break-in like this if I knew it was happening...

I was looking at those, I was also wondering if anyone had experience with them on their Prius, and if there was anything weird that would be Prius specific.

8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    UDRandman likes this.
  9. UDRandman

UDRandman New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did report the theft to the cops, however I don't think there is any way to match those airbags to my car...

10. ataylorracing

ataylorracing ataylorracing

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Being a retired mail man...I suggest a under fed Pit Bull!

11. Yakuzahi

Yakuzahi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have Clifford 2 Way remote installed on my 2002 Prius. Everything is fine with it and I have remote start as well with the alarm. I set it in a way that the alarm will automatically lock the doors 30 sec after I closed the door and the key is not in the ignition switch.

12. UDRandman

UDRandman New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    After looking around quite a bit, I am going to put on a Viper 5704 (I think I am still too nooby to post a link.

Also adding a glass break sensor, Piezo siren, battery backup, and tilt sensor. I really like the idea of the two-way remote with a mile range.

13. Yakuzahi

Yakuzahi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Good! the only differences between the Viper 5904 and the Viper 5704 is that the 5904 comes with color lcd screen.

All the other options are the same. Good luck, make sure you find good installer that know what he doing. Ask him to make sure after remote start the car the head light not staying on!

14. UDRandman

UDRandman New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Appreciate the info, I am going to have it installed at Best Buy, from what I have read, they seem to be the most capable with these systems. Based on other things I have read, I will basically go in with a list of how I want everything set up.

15. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I just got the 5704 installed yesterday with SmartStart GPS so I can control it and see the car's location from my iPhone, it works great. The only annoyance is that the engine turns off when the door is opened when I remote start it, and the unlock button would have to be double-pressed to unlock my passenger door.. The latter I was able to get them to reprogram for me.
    -Keith

16. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'll be honest, the expense of a really good alarm versus the deductible on my insurance policy. I'm going to have to just go with the factory alarm and my $250 deductible. Someone that I work with has an alarm on her SUV that goes off when the wind blows wrong or a truck goes by. Too many false alarms. Plus I'm just not wanting to monkey with my car's electrical system. We have complicated machines.

Several years ago, someone was stealing airbags from a parked Volvo in Georgia. Somehow the airbag deployed and KILLED him. I think people stealing these things should be wary of what one can do.

17. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    He will not do it again.

18. UDRandman

UDRandman New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I definitely see your point about the deductible, and if yours is that low, that's awesome. Mine is costing a $500 deductible for the car repairs, and another $250 on my renter's insurance if I decide to claim the ~$400 worth of stuff that was taken. For less than that, I can put on alarm and not worry about it happening again (hopefully).