1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alpine power amp doesn't work with 2007 factory radio. help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by PriusSlob, Oct 3, 2014.

1. PriusSlob

PriusSlob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I went to Best Buy, paid for 4 speakers and an alpine MRV-F300 power amp.
    The kid took all day to hook everything up but it doesn't work.
    Display screen allows choosing frequencies and turning power on and off but there is no sound
    and fade, balance, treble, bass can't be adjusted.

So the Best Buy kid phones the technical guru that Best Buy has hidden somewhere in the US (or Bangalore) and he is told that factory radios only work with the factory JBL power amplifier.

Kid says I need to put in a custom radio or a JBL factory amplifier for the current radio to be able to communicate.

Is this true? If so, what are my options? My understanding is that a custom radio will still allow me the video display functionality like GPS. The kid says no.

I am at a total loss on what to do. I have a power amp I'm hauling around that I have 15 days to return. . . . . or . . . . get a 3rd party radio installed that hoses all my current stuff. I found a JBL power amp used on Ebay for $100

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if you have the JBL system, you can't just swap another amp in. if you don't have JBL, the JBL amp won't work with your system. the kid doesn't know what he's doing. if you lived in NOVA, I'd be happy to take a look at it. otherwise, you need to have a talk with the kids manager about getting someone with a clue to hook you up.

3. PriusSlob

PriusSlob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks 69shovlhed

It's JBL system. Now just for damage control. I either return the Alpine amp and buy a used JBL amp or I wait and pay the money to install a radio with all the same bells and whistles.

4. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    1st question is, what's wrong with the original JBL amp? doesn't work?
    if you just want more power, you can get a speaker to line level converter and hook up the alpine amp to some add'l speakers.
    if the jbl is bad, because some of the controls in the head unit are tied into the jbl, you would have to rewire the whole system to replace the head unit and amp with a non jbl system. you could replace the head unit and keep the jbl amp, but you'd need a special interface to make it work.
    also, the jbl system uses odd resistance speakers so your aftermarket speakers won't be very loud with the jbl. if the speakers you bought are 4 ohm, they might be ok, but if they are 8 ohm, you will not have hardly any volume.

5. PriusSlob

PriusSlob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's see:
    There was no sound system when I bought the car. It was a salvaged title and someone had taken out the amp and speakers.
    So, that is why I thought to buy a better amp and speakers than "factory" which didn't exist in this car. The covers on the tweeters said "JBL".

It's not about power. It's about anything that works now. Either put a used JBL amp in, or a radio/bt/blahblahblah in.
    Here are my speakers, looks like they are 4 ohm (OMG!)
    Alpine - 6-1/2" 2-Way Component Car Speakers with Poly-Mica Cones (Pair)
    • Model: SPS-610C
    I got them for $102 a pair.

I really appreciate you getting back to me. And helping ponder my plight.

So, what would be your reccomendation for a new radio?
    Do I lose the display stuff above it? Temperature, GPS, Blue Tooth.

Not so much "do I lose it?" but "how do I get it to work with new radio"?

6. cantsitstill

cantsitstill Junior Member

Crutchfield all the way. Best way to match what will work with your car, best customer service, best technical support. Tech is even open on Sunday. They provide all instructions for your specific vehicle.
    If you are even remotely able to handle a few hand tools, you can do it. You won't even have to cut any factory wires.
    Never trust your car to Best Buy-- ok, never do it again.
    I have heArd nothing but nightmare stories about Best Buy installs.

7. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    sounds like you should go ahead and get a new head unit, a metra axxess unit to interface with your steering wheel buttons, and all the associated adapter harnesses and just basically start from scratch and build a new system. the jbl wasn't all that great anyway-- I had a better sounding system in my '04 base model than the jbl in my '06. yes crutchfield will help you every step of the way. I usually buy from them. and your new head unit can have BT audio, a usb port and any other cool features you may want.
    it will be a big project, but if you can read a wiring diagram, work a screw driver and a soldering iron, you can do it, and will have a nice system that you'll love.
    there are also custom shops which can build you a killer system if you don't mind spending a few more bucks, but DIY is much more satisfying.
    and one more thing, the PC community will be here to help too. good luck!

8. PriusSlob

PriusSlob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really appreciate you guys getting back to me.
    Well what started out as a suggested $400 cost for speakers and amp including install by someone no longer around this project has snowballed to the point where I will have to go downtown and sell one of my kidneys lol.
    I should have gone to Angies List first. I guess it was the snowball effect.
    Just talked to a guy that replied to my troubled email and going to take my car in to look at this afternoon and yes is Prius 2007 savvy and yes it is going to cost a "few more bucks".

I live in a 55 plus condo with no garage. I would have to do this in the parking lot. I also am very jinxed when it comes to removing and replacing auto stuff like the dash. Never goes back in right and always got a few more bolts. haha
    But I've seen some awesome DIY installs here on Prius Chat. Hat's off to you guys.

I do believe I got ok price on speakers, $100 a pair versus listed $129.
    Amp was "Open box" so I got a discount on that plus some.

Got hosed by BestBuy on the install and harness prices. Not to mention that it would never work! haha. oi vay
    My advice to anyone else, lay back, take your time.

#8 PriusSlob, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014