1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Always on fog lights for 2010 Package 5 (led headlights)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by smassey22180, Jun 1, 2014.

1. smassey22180

smassey22180 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My wife wants her fog lights to be on all the time like they are in the newer models. Is there any way to get the fogs to be on all the time? She is kind of a nut about DRSs and the LED headlights make that difficult.

thanks

2. pauerbach

pauerbach Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I know it's really not the answer you're looking for, but you could just turn the parking lights on to enable you to drive with fog lights on without having headlights on during the day.

2012+ models actually have LED DRL's located where your wife's car has its fog lights. They're not considered "fog lights" per se, so they're wired completely differently in newer models and you can't really reconfigure them easily. It's certainly beyond me at least.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It could be done, but you'd need to rewire your factory foglights and use a relay.

I used my oem user installed foglights as DRLs previously, but the foglights are less than ideal for the following reasons:

They get very hot. A 55w halogen bulb in a small enclosure, used during daytime conditions.

They are recessed into the lower bumper. This limits visibility to the front and since they are mounted low, they aren't as visible as higher mounted DRLs.

I ended up installing a DRL module that uses the oem highbeam bulbs at reduced power, like many vehicles out on the road. Advantages are: operate at reduced power for less heat in a larger housing, heat is readily dissipated through the large headlight lens. The highbeam lights are mounted higher than foglights, so they are more visible. They disperse the light at a wider angle than the recessed foglights.

No other lights are on, such as when driving with the parking lights or lowbeam headlights on.

Link is in my sig below for my DRL installation.

SCH-I535