1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Operators on this forum?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by WE0H, Jul 10, 2011.

1. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How many Amateur Radio Operators do we have on Prius Chat?

I have noticed two others so far.

Mike

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OH, which two? :D

3. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Pat,

You were the first I noticed :) I do see lots of Prii at Dayton & HamCation but I have never bumped into the owners in person yet. Last February we rented a Gen III and drove it from Minneapolis MN to Orlando FL for about $118 in gas one way. That car hauled back so much stuff that it looked goofy packed floor to ceiling with radio goodies :p I think in 2010 we drove a Gen II down there.

Mike

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are several threads you can read that will give an idea of the Hams out here. as you thumb throught the forum topics you will find them. Welcome, have you mounted a rig in the car yet? That's a serious commitment on a new car!

5. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to wait until May or June 2012 before I can buy the new car. What I do carry is a FT-817ND and the antenna stuff along when we have trips where we are in one place for a while. I was talking with the XYL this evening about the Alex Loop PY1AHD ALEX - Alexandre Grimberg - py1ahd which would allow me to operate from places like tonight at a hotel that we are only at for one evening. Setup on a small camera tripod next to the pool or something ;) Much easier than trying to find a park with antenna supports and the time to get all setup & operate then get back in time to pick the XYL up from her meeting.

I met Alex at Dayton a couple years ago and got to see how his design works and the antenna design. His antenna has a excellent performance reputation. I need one :p

So no, I don't have any rigs mounted in vehicles. We rent mostly Prii for our business travel. We drive all over the Great Lakes States every other week. I bring the rig whenever it is feasible to. Not as much as I could with a more portable antenna.

What bands are you running out of the Prii? Is the electronics quiet enough in the car?

Mike

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Haven't been active since around the early 1990's but still keep my license current. I was mostly CW. Do they even operate CW any more now with all the digital modes available?

7. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Hey Daniel,

CW is used even more today since they ditched the code requirement. Don't know why that happened but there is no shortage of CW operators today. I have the capability to run digital but I prefer CW and SSB ;) My NUE-PSK modem sits on the shelf when I travel. I bring my paddles and '817 along :p I have run PSK-31 on 600 meters, WSPR on 30m, but that is it. I just don't get into the digital stuff.

Did you keep all your rigs and antennas? Good to hear you kept the license current. I have a friend that originally gave me my Novice license exam back in the '80's, he let his license expire years later. I could never imagine doing that :confused:

Mike

8. olyprius

olyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Folks! I was granted a technician class license a couple of years ago. I currently EDC an Icom IC-P7A that is pretty much with me 24/7. My wife gives me a hard time about it but whatever.

For far away camping/hiking trips I like carrying with me a Yaesu VX-8DR that comes with some APRS goodness. I'm currently saving up $ for a nice rig that is not dependent on repeaters, and once I have it, I'll go after my general license. :D

Oly

9. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Oly,
    Lots of E-skip so 10 & 6m are usually wide open most days and some nights. Sounds like you would get a lot of use out of a portable rig. The QRP rigs can be tons of fun but you'll have to get used to running low power with darn good antennas to have that fun. I carry a Yaesu FT-817ND around in my travels when I have the free time to operate portable. What's your callsign? I used my callsign as my user name :p I have never done the APRS stuff. I sold all my VHF & UHF handhelds many years ago.

Mike

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    V.E.'s like your friend, hadn't even been invented yet, back in the 1960's. In order to get licensed/tested, we had to take a drive up to the nearest FCC office. For us, that was up in Los Angeles ... about 45 miles away. I think the Fed's only required me to do 13wpm for the code test, even if you were cranking out 20, which I was doing at the time. Also in the 60's they dreamed up incentive licensing. They actually took away part of our HF privileges if we didn't go back and take another code test! I refused on principal, even though I was easily DX'ing 20+
    If that wasn't exasperating enough, they restructured licensing again maybe a decade ago, to drop the 13wpm General test down to only 5wpm. After that, the FCC dumped the code test all together ... even for the extra class (shaking head :confused: ) ... too funny.
    I moved back & forth between CA, Montana and Florida over the years during the 1980's & 90's. The FCC required you to relinquish your amateur license I.D. in favor for a new one in your new state. So for a while my FCC license was from "4" land. But? ... Still more rule changes! Enter the vanity license scheme during the 1990's. I thought, "hey, now I can have my original license re-assigned! ... cool!" But during the 1980's my old license had been re-assigned to another :Cry: - But all was not lost.
    Eventually that dude kicked the bucket. Death freed up my old FCC I.D. ... which allowed me to abandon my Florida amateur license, and get my original California "Six land" call sign - re-assigned to me - as a vanity.
    Enter, the dumbness of the California motor vehicle department. I went back to the CA DMV to register my original amateur license plates onto our hybrid. The DMV said my plates had remained dormant too long. So even though I had my plates "in hand" ... the DMV would have to manufacture them all over again (budget crisis be damned!) simply because they had no records from the 1960's and 70's ... and after the duplicates arrived, I could install which ever set I want on the hybrid ... and throw the others away. Loving bureaucracy. After not hearing from the DMV for over 4 months I called to ask, "where's the plates that you're supposedly re-making". They'd lost all records ... again. Loving bureaucracy. But ... 2nd time was the charm ... and in only 3 more months the duplicate FCC/DMV license plates arrived (with corresponding registration) - just like my originals (but the new ones were the new CA color) ... and so I threw 'em away. People sometimes ask why the old plates on a newer car:
    [​IMG]

I say, "please don't ask" ... it's a long DMV and FCC bureaucratic nightmare. Maybe I can direct 'em to Prius Chat.
    :p

Anyway - here's a shot below, of our emergency radio group (maybe 18 years ago) monkey'ing with our hf beam back when we'd do field day and stuff like that.

Attached Files:

11. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Roof top field day ;) I went out to my dad's in the boonies and threw up a 44' doublet with twinlead & an autotuner running 5w ;) Worked a few people even on 50mc :) Back when I did my Extra, the code was 20 wpm but I was at 17 wpm and passed. I ran on 144 & 50mc CW for a few years which was a ton of fun.

That is strange you had to wait out the DMV to get new plates then they let you scrap them. Doesn't make a bit of sense since you already have nice old school plates. Slap on some new stickers and they'd be just fine. I guess they have to justify spending more tax dollars.

In MN they finally went to a nice flat aluminum plate. No stamped numbers & letters. Every seven years we get new plates so I am collecting the old ones to use as chassis material for future projects.

So far it is looking like Prii owners who have their license are from 6 & 7 land. It will be interesting to see how many check in here if they find the thread. I see a lot of Prii at the big hamfests around the country. Haven't made it to one out west yet. You guys have some neat ones as I have read about them on the email reflectors over the years. MN hamfests are the pits. I don't even bother going anymore.

Mike :)

12. olyprius

olyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Mike,

I just started getting into the whole APRS scene and It's all new to me. I'm really enjoying all the data reads, tracking local operators and checking out local weather stations all for free. There is also a sort of cool retro feel I get out of doing it, sort of like when I carried my old Motorola pager that provided me with the latest news feeds.

I did look at a few portable rigs a while back and many of them look really nice. How do you like your FT-817?

My call sign is K6ORM

Cheers,
    Oly

13. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    News feed on the pagers? I never knew about that. I used to carry one around.

I absolutely love my '817. The VFO calibration is spot on on all bands and there is no drift. If you decide to buy one, buy the 817ND as there are hardware improvements in the newer one. It is super cool having so many bands all in one package. As long as you are familiar with running 5w or less, you'll be more than happy with that rig. Some guys who only run 100w rigs buy the QRP rig and later sell them off because they can't make any contacts. I don't know what they are using for antennas. I run a 44' doublet when I go portable and have zero problems making contacts. If I can hear them, I can work them :p

I built K2 S/N 6698 which was a 10w rig. It was a nice radio but the design is very dated and the VFO is not very accurate even when aligned to Elecraft spec's. I traded for another rig a month after I completed it. Speaking of trades, June 2010 I brought a bunch of my older radio gear into a local Minneapolis Ham Radio store and traded it even up for a new FT-817ND. I later went in and bought the 300hz CW filter. I recommend narrow CW filters for all rigs. The XYL was very happy to hear I got rid of a bunch of old stuff and only had a tiny radio in it's place ;)

Many other guys like to run single band rigs they built from kits or homebrew. I built a SW-30+ just before I got my '817 and never got that rig put into it's enclosure. It sits on the shelf now. Having the '817 has put a lot of my QRP rig projects on the back burner. Oh well, maybe someday I will go portable with a pocket sized rig :)

Mike

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I lived out in the country and had dipoles up on a big pole, plus a vertical in the yard and a 2-meter antenna on the roof. When I moved I sold everything. My license is posted on my computer desk, and the small version is in my wallet, but I have nothing else. I really only kept the license current so nobody else can have my call sign.

I took my novice exam from a volunteer examiner, and then spent 8 months studying. When I went in for my exams, I was afraid of flunking the 13 wpm code test, so I asked the examiner if I could copy the 20 wpm test for practice. He said no. So I asked, if I take the 20 wpm test and flunk it, can I still take the 13 wpm test, and he said yes. So I took the 20 wpm test just as practice, and I passed it. After I passed the written test for Technician (which gave me General, since I'd passed the code test) I took the Advanced test, just to see what it was like, and to my great surprise I passed it also.

I never understood the first thing about electronics, even after 8 months of study, and I never succeeded in designing the simplest circuit to do anything. An op-amp was a total mystery to me. But I could solder and I could follow a schematic and I could built a Heathkit. I even modified my HW8 from a schematic published in a magazine. But the electronics questions on the tests were pure guess.

So here's the really funny and stupid part: In those days (I don't know if it's changed) they made the Amateur Extra test "harder" than the Advanced test by having FEWER electronics theory questions, and MORE resonant circuit problems. I was good at math. I knew the rules & regs, so I got all those questions. And with my trusty slide rule I solved all the resonant circuit problems. And I just plain guessed at the electronics questions, though often there was one choice that was obviously wrong, so that helped with the guessing. And I walked out with my Extra class license.

I went straight home and got on the Extra class band and had to ask my first contact to slow down, to which he replied that this was the Extra band, to which I replied that I'd passed the exam that same day and it's much easier to copy code in a quiet room with no fading or interference or static than it is over the air, and he congratulated me and we had a nice chat. Eventually I earned a reputation as a good CW operator. I even won a QLF contest once at a hamfest. (For non-hams reading this, that's sending Morse code with your left foot on an oversized code key.)

But as I said, I eventually became disillusioned. The traffic nets, which were so much fun at first, began to seem kind of silly; and having people with illegal power levels jumping on a frequency was using, or even calling someone I was working, became frustrating; and the local 80-meter morning crowd began to seem intolerably boorish, and I found myself getting on the air less and less, and by the time I moved to a place I was not going to be able to operate, I didn't care, and I sold all my gear.

It was a fun hobby for about a decade. Computer programming replaced it, and lasted until Windows came along and programming was not fun any more.

I had a friend back in the day who had a Remington Noiseless typewriter and could copy 50 wpm pretty much flawlessly. He was the one who invited me to join the CFO.

I became a ham so I could talk to people in other parts of the world. That's a lot easier to do nowadays by email. The funny thing is that I've forgotten pretty much everything I knew about radio, and I don't know if I remember the code well enough to operate CW anymore, but I could legally set up a station and operate today without ever demonstrating any sort of competence in anything. Not that it really matters with today's rigs. The Amateur Radio service was originally established to promote innovation in radio technology. I doubt there's much of that any more.

But it was a lot of fun for a decade or so. That's probably the longest I've stuck with any passionate interest. I've been hiking every summer for 6 or 7 years, and scuba diving for only about 3 years. I probably stayed with computer programming for 4 or 5 years. I had a big garden for over 20 years, so that's an exception.

15. olyprius

olyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You probably had the non-alpha traditional pager that the rest of the world had at the time. I had, and still miss using my Motorola Advisor Elite Flex, mostly for weather, stocks, sports and local news.

I really enjoyed your post, good stuff! Thanks for the tips, recommendations, and review. I'll keep the 817ND on my radar.

Btw, I heard on the airwaves of a guy who had a portable rig installed in his car. He would leave it on as a mobile repeater and use a portable HT to access it as he walked around in the field. Does the 817ND have this capability?

16. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Daniel,

Wow that sounds like a similar beginning to mine. I was in college and went from nothing to Extra in a very short time. The electronics part was easy as my major was Avionics so everything everyday was radio electronics. Amateur Radio seems to go hand in hand with that :) I used to do the same stuff as you on the air and got bored just the same. I even got into the Army MARS as AAV5MW and ran that for a while then moved onto other stuff. Move forward to today & to keep me interested, I go out portable HF band operating from all over the Great Lakes States. When at home, I am operating on 600 meters with the ARRL WD2XSH Part 5 Experimental license. I am station #16. Info at The 500 KC Amateur Radio Experimental Group

That keeps me busy and on the air :p I don't bother with 80m anymore. It's a mess. 20m is a mess too. 30m is a fun band and people act like people there. 6m is a fun band during the E-Skip season's. There are a lot of homebrew rigs on the air today. Lots of minimalist's out there with rigs so tiny you put it all in your pockets and hit the trail. Fun stuff :p

I owned a HW-8 for a while. I had picked it up from an old timer years ago and repaired it. It is in Alabama the last I knew. A fellow down there was looking for one a year or so ago so I decided to sell him mine. The last I knew he was a happy camper with the rig ;)

Mike :)

17. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a very fancy pager. I never seen one of those. I don't believe the '817ND can do a crossband repeat function. I know it can be run with a laptop and it's data port so maybe with a bit of software writing, you'd be able to make it function as a crossband repeater. Imagine a big honkin HF vertical mounted on a Prius :twitch:

Mike :p

18. olyprius

olyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I hear ya! :)

I had this idea that since our Prius can act as a nice power generator, the crossband repeat ability would make a nice little setup during my camping and hiking expeditions. If i did get a long HF antenna I would make sure it has a detachable mount. Also if the antenna were fixed, my wife would never be caught in it and she'd opt to take a separate car, so it's not really an option. :D

That reminds me, I took the wife with me to an HRO one day and she just rolled her eyes at me when she saw a van parked in the front that had 20+ antennas mounted all around it. :p

19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's funny :p My wife is the same way. She just lets me do my thing and I let her do her girlie stuff. Funny thing lately is she loves to go to the big national hamfests. She even walked thru all of Dayton in 2009:eek: We make HamCation a annual thing to get away from winter. Of course we drive a rental Prii down there and load that baby up with radio goodies, and some antique glassware for her;)

You know what would work great in your situation of being parked somewhere in the Prii camping or hiking? Use one of those 31' Jackite poles on a drive on mount and throw a few radials on the ground. That fed with a 4:1 Unun and a autotuner will run all HF bands 40m on up thru 6m. The mount is a flat plate with a pipe welded to it to hold the pole upright. The car has one tire parked on the flat plate to hold the whole contraption upright with no need for guys. All of that would easily fit inside the Prii when road tripping. Setup would take a half hour at most. Of course with that, you might not be hiking or socializing so much as you will be working DX and other stations like a piece of cake ;) In my situation, my wife is into sewing so that keeps her occupied for hours on end while I get to play radio :)

Mike

20. olyprius

olyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That sounds like a great idea and a fun project!! Definitely something I will consider when planning our next outdoor family trip. Thanks!