1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Amazing Prius Facts learned at Portland International Audo Show.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NoMoShocks, Jan 25, 2008.

1. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I found the Portland International Auto show to be a real dissapointment. When you are already driving the best of show (Prius) what is there to be excited about? But the real reason for my post was to share the exciting new Facts about Prius that I overheard from one of the local Toyota Dealer sales persons at the show, who was answering questions for some potential customers.

When I walked in on the conversation in progress.
    Customer - "Where does the Prius get it's electrical energy from?"
    Sales Guy - "It makes it's own electric energy."

Customer - "Does it use the gas engine to generate the electric energy?"
    Sales Guy - "No, it makes it's own energy using the alternator."

Customer - "But the energy has to come from somewhere?"
    Sales Guy - "It makes it's own using the Synergy Drive."

It was all I could do to keep myself from jumping in and pointing out that the electric energy was picked up by the radio antenna!

Customer - "So what is the gas engine for?
    Sales Guy - "It does use the gas engine when you go over 50 MPH.

Customer - "Doesn't the gas engine run while the car is first warming up?"
    Sales Guy - "No, the gas engine doesn't run at all when you are driving around town."

Customer - "But my neighbor has one and he says the engine runs while it is warming up?"
    Sales Guy - "Oh, they have made a lot of improvements. The brakes convert the heat of friction into electric energy."

As the conversation turned to a discussion of the brakes converting friction heat into electric energy, I could not remain silent any longer. I interjected that the Motor Generator actually slows the car by generating electricity, and that the friction brakes only came into play for hard braking and when the speed is below 7 MPH.

At this point, one of the customers turned his attention toward me and I had a chance to describe how the computer keeps Atkinson Cycle engine in its most efficient operating range and the power split device directs excess power to the motor generator to recharge the batteries.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah you'll be surprised.

Every year since 2004, I've been at the Toyota stand for quite a while because I would just make a passing remark (if I overheard something or someone says "what's this?") and then it'll turn into a convo and people start wanting to know more. It gets better every year because I have more information from my own experience.

One year, I even gave the stand John's Mini Guide sheet (the two page one).

3. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have never seen John's 2 page mini guide. But I did give the person I was explaining the brakes and power split device the name "priuschat.com". So lets all be nice to the newbies. They may have been talking to a Toyota Salesman, and need some TLC.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That document, like the Info-Sheet, were created to help out as an introduction to Prius... stuff that I too could hand out.

Frustration later emerged from the very same reason as this post. Those without the benefit of a Multi-Display to routinely monitor would sometimes have absolutely no clue. So other documents, like this and this one, were added to the collection.

Hopefully, the amazing facts won't get too crazy. But from reading the assumptions Volt enthusiasts are making, it's probably going to get worse better it gets better. At least they have an excuse. Salespeople don't, their spreading of such misinformation is terrible.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Last year at the Milwaukee Auto Show, another owner and I spent a couple hours fielding questions and demonstrating everything from the power-split device to the split seats.

When I had to leave, I went to one of the Toyota reps and apologized for the intrusion. He said that we clearly knew more about the car than they did and we were clearly genuinely promoting the car so they just let us run with it.

My most genuine and successful trust-winning remark: "Oh I don't work for Toyota but I've owned a Prius since '04."

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. The fact that you own one seems to make them trust you more than if you were to just blabber on without "introducing" yourself.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    very entertaining

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A Zenn dealership opened recently in Post Falls, ID, about a 20-minute drive from me. As there was already an EV club in Post Falls with several backyard EV conversions, they got together and invited the public to a "meeting" of the EV club at the new dealership. I attended.

The owner of the dealership (not any of the EV club members) provided these "Amazing Prius Facts":

The Prius deep-cycles the traction battery, charging it to 100% and then discharging it to 0%. As a result, the battery only lasts for about two years. Thus there is a glut of used Priuses on the market, which you can buy for next to nothing because all the owners are sick of them and nobody wants them.

I got up and said that I've driven my Prius since January of 2004 and everything he said was utterly wrong. I explained how the battery is held between 40% and 80% of full charge, about the Prius taxis that have exceeded 200,000 miles, and that there have only been one or two battery failures in the 8 or 9 years of Prius that were not caused by a collision. He asserted that his information was correct.

This was not a Prius salesman, though. He was a former Chrysler salesman and is now owner of a new Zenn dealership.

Considering how stupid people are, it's surprising we ever invented the wheel, much less cars.

9. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Defending the Salesmen!

I've decided to come defend salesmen that give faulty information about the Prius. You should not single these individuals out for special treatment. Salesmen have been giving out faulty information on ALL cars long before the Prius. (I remember the Toyota salesman pointing to the EGR valve in a 1988 Camry and telling the customer how easy it was to get to the oil filter there!)

The Prius is special since there is SO much to bugger up in a sales pitch or an anti-sales pitch.

10. parky

parky New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Car sales people are just that, sales people. They don't really need to know anything about the car; they could be selling any product. And most buyers know nothing of engineering technicalities so why should the salesman even bother himself. But this may change as we enter a new age of automotive craft. My experience is that salesman just make up stuff to sound proficient.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i work customer service and i get the wrong end of a "lied to" customer several times a day. its just salespeople in general where a small segment of them are simply nothing but legalized scam artists.

i hear just amazing exaggerations from customers and think "no salesperson would have told them that" but then after hearing it from a few dozen customers scattered all over the country...it begins to dawn on me that these people will simply say anything they feel they need to get a sale.

and besides, with all the misguided crap about the Prius in the news and on the net, its little wonder where these people get their information from

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: Defending the Salesmen!

Yup, I found that out back in 1993. My salesperson had done almost no studying of what he was selling. Simple questions resulted in answers that weren't correct, even when verifying facts with others. That car purchase was an awaking experience for me.

Prius brought to light just how diverse the salesperson staff can be. Some are experts, doing all they can to be a genuine help. Others couldn't care less.

Thank goodness the internet came along. Now people easily do that studying on their own, including information shared by owners. It's quite empowering.

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have to admit that I don't mind when a salesperson or other person is clueless about something. What annoys me is when they refuse to learn or discover the truth.

When I bought Priapus, I placed my order and then waited seven months. During that time, I joined Priuschat and became an early expert on the car - even long before owning one. I used to stop by the dealership and talk around with my salesman, teaching him about the car. I gave him my cell number so he could call me if he got stumped by a question. Of course, I also gave him a link to this site.

The point is, he was anxious and willing to learn about the car. He wanted to be able to answer the questions. These are the people I respect.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    One of the things that steered me to Honda and away from Toyota when I bought my second car (a 1989 Civic wagon) was that the Toyota salesman lied to me about the Civic! I knew next to nothing about cars, but I had read up in Consumer Reports at the library, and I knew that the Toyota I was considering (maybe a Corolla, if that existed then) had a carburetor, while the Civic was fuel-injected. I dropped this bit of information in conversation with the Toyota salesman, my only bit of car information, to try to look less ignorant than I was, and the Toyota man said the Civic was carbureted as well. I said no, that I had been researching, but he insisted. I figured he was lying to try to make the competition look bad, and I did not trust him.

In contrast, the Honda salesman was absolutely honest about every aspect of the transaction, even saying that both the Toyota and the Honda were excellent cars. So in the end it was the salesman and the dealership that decided me, with an eye toward how I'd be treated after the sale. And I was not wrong. That Honda dealership treated me like a VIP for all the years I owned that car, even though it was just about the cheapest model they sold.

15. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

They may be selling Toyotas this week, but who knows, next week they may be selling Fords.

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    or fridges and microwaves.

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And you wonder why I have developed a generally poor attitude towards the human race. Sadly, a larger proportion of the human race will lie, steal, cheat, even quite literally stab you in the back, just to make $5 off you

So in the improbable event that aliens landed on earth and their first human contact was Yours Truly, I would be brutally honest with them

Alien: "So, what are you homo sapiens like?"

Me: "We're evil, sinister, selfish backstabbing trash of the galaxy"

Alien: "I see ... um, any good qualities?"

Me: "We're quite tasty if after gutting and skinning you roast us precisely 17 minutes a kilo at an ending temperature of 166 Celsius. Do you have any weapons capable of vaporising the planet?"

Alien: "um ... yes we have a weapon like that. What were the cooking instructions again?? I'm trying to write this down ..."

As far as salescreatures of any kind (Car, computer, microwave, vacuum cleaner, etc) always assume they are lying their a**es off. They have generally recognized legal protection, it's called "puffery"

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you ever seen the Twilight Zone episode "To Serve Man"?

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny. I had the opposite experience. The Honda guy lied about the Prius and tried to make the Accord Hybrid look better (despite the fact it's $4,000 more expensive than my Prius and $8,000 more than the base Prius). He finally gave up when he found out I had a Prius and that he was talking BS.

20. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Using a temp of 166C for the oven (330F) makes sense. But the ending food temp would be much better at 166F.

You Canadians must've learned to cook from the Brits back in the old days...