1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Amber LED Blinkers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by joeuser, Feb 4, 2014.

1. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need to find some good LED Blinkers (just the blinkers) that are brighter than the stock 7440A bulb installed in the prius (front and back). I would think that it would be some combination of CREE and some highpower 5630.
    I tried this one:

However it is just a bit dimmer than the stock incandescant 7440 bulb.
    Also, does anyone know the stock 7440a bulb's brightness in Lumens? It is definitely bright and I want Amber Blinkers to be equally brighter if not more.

Recommendations welcome.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Easier to replace with the chromed amber bulbs if your main goal is to get rid of the amber color. Though even those aren't as bright as the regular variety.

With LEDs you might have to deal with hyper flashing and, as you've found, they aren't as bright as incandescent bulbs.

SCH-I535

3. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure I understand what you meant, but I will try to clarify my post. I already replaced the Flasher Relay with the one that supports LED. So that much is already done. I ONLY need the LEDs now. I want Amber. I don't want to get rid of Amber color. I just need it to be brighter than stock. I'm not interested in Chrome Bulbs.

I have certainly seen bright Amber LED bulbs in many cars (that by default do not run LED bulb) on the highway. And I can tell they aren't specially assembled, they look like LED bulbs but its difficult to get out my car during moving traffic and ask someone about their LED bulbs.

I am thinking that since many folks have installed LEDs in their car, someone must have gotten a brand/model that they are satisfied with.

Thanks,
    J

4. Jason in OZ

Jason in OZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    im about to install these....

50W Amber Canbus Error Free Cree T20 7440 W21W LED CAR Turn Signal Light Bulb | eBay

these are as bright or brighter than the stockers.
    i have not yet installed them permanently as i have not yet installed the LED relay...

i did test fit them to see if they would be bright enough, and they are.
    i tested them using the hazard lights (and oddly enough there was no hyper flash)
    but as soon as i installed them and tried the turn signals, i got hyperflash.

so i now have the LED relay, and will install them all this weekend.

those globes were not the cheapest, but they are very bright.
    i also have a set of white ones for the reverse lights. they work great too...

Jason.

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Read my thread, How about 60 LED DRL and Turn Signal in one bulb! | PriusChat
    All of the LEDs purchased were from this Vendor, and all are still working great! I point out the numbers for the bulbs you want. They also have newer versions, that are even brighter. Be aware that the LEDs that I used are the biggest physical size that will fit in the assembly. Make sure you don't exceed the length! Also note, good LEDs will cost money! Mine did, but I believe that's why they still work. If you find 5 buck LEDs with outlandish Lumins claim, Caveat Emptor!

6. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  7. Jason in OZ

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Those look nice.

In still to install mine. Been lazy. Haven't gotten round to installing the led relay I have.

Jason.

8. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Installing the relay takes less than 10 min...couple screws and three 10mm bolts

9. Jason in OZ

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have looked up the directions and even have pictures showing how to install it (pics from a thread on PC)

I hope to get it done this weekend.

Jason.