1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Analysts say chance of U.S. recession now 50-50

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JackDodge, Jan 13, 2008.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Article
    Analysts say that risk of recession in the U.S. is pretty good: "'...the odds of a recession this year went up after the dismal employment report. It is now conventional opinion and many fear that there will be a serious recession,' Lawrence Summers, one of President Clinton's treasury secretaries, wrote recently in the Financial Times."

In sharp contrast, "The Federal Reserve is not currently forecasting a recession," [Fed chairman] Bernanke said last week. "We are forecasting slow growth."

Michigan's already in recession, no question about that, but the U.S. as a whole is dangerously close to it as well.

Facts, "By one rough rule of thumb, a recession occurs when there are two consecutive quarters -- six straight months -- when the economy shrinks."

"The National Bureau of Economic Research, the recognized arbiters for dating recessions, uses a more complicated formula. It takes into account such things as employment and income growth. By that measure, the last recession was in 2001, starting in March and ending in November."

"The [U.S.] unemployment rate jumped to 5 percent in December from 4.7 percent, fanning recession fears. It was the biggest one-month gain since October 2001, during a time of massive layoffs in the travel industry after the Sept. 11 attacks."

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So at last they're using the "R" word. (Instead of "bagel")

And Bernanke is playing semantics. We'll it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.....

3. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yet unemployment is still over 10% less (5.0% compared to 5.7%) than the best Clinton years when their sycophants called the economy "booming".

The Clinton Record - Clinton's Accomplishments

BTW, you might know that Audi is leaving Bloomfield Hills with it's 1,200 employees for lower-tax Reston, VA in six months. Beat the rush and sell your home now.

Certainly some areas like yours are in recession. However, I'm currently investing in real estate in carefully selected areas that as a result of Democrat property confiscation, taxation and regulation have created short-term opportunity.

That explains my post in another thread why my county residential real estate is up 4.5% last year. A Democrat enacted Urban Growth Boundary keeps artificially inflating prices.

Their attitudes also contribute to my ability to sell overpriced Prii to gullible liberals in the most blue county (84% for Kerry) in the country.

Opportunity is where you find it and make it. I'm bullish on America this year. If a Democrat is elected, ask again. I'll adjust to capitalize on their failed policies. :)

4. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    do not know where your source is getting its statistics. The U.S. Dept of Labor disagrees (not how Clinton took a high unemployment rate -- legacy of Republicans,and steadily reduced it):

1992 7.51993 6.91994 6.11995 5.61996 5.41997 4.91998 4.51999 4.22000 4.0

The Dept of Labor also put the rate at 5% in Dec 2007, higher than most of Clinton's second term.

5. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    US News & World Report dated today:

"This is a much stronger expansion in a lot of ways. It's much deeper and more measured ... If you go back to this point in the Clinton expansion, they would have loved to have seen the numbers that we have right now. ... On the unemployment rate, we're a full percentage point below where they were at the same point in the expansion–60 or 61 months in. They would have loved to have been at 4.4 percent. They were still up in the mid-5s, which is huge, when you think about it."
    OK, let's use Fratto's methodology. I checked the employment data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and found that 60 months into the Clinton expansion, the unemployment rate was 4.7 percent vs. 4.5 percent for Bush. The last time the jobless rate was as high as 5.3 percent under Clinton was January 1997, 49 months into the Clinton expansion. Fratto and I went back and forth on the numbers and how to best date the expansions, but his bottom line–via E-mail–is this:
    "The Clinton administration clearly benefited from an expansion that began well before the election and well before they ever passed a single piece of economic legislation. This administration was clearly hurt by being greeted with a recession and the implosion of the technology bubble – well before we ever passed any part of our economic policy."

Bush vs. Clinton: The Economic Verdict - Capital Commerce (usnews.com)

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This thread turned into a political discussion. I guess it now belongs in Fred's House of Politics. It just shows how ridiculous it is to segregate the political discussions from all other off-topic subjects.

7. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    perhaps you should follow your own advice that you gave me:

http://priuschat.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=536264

8. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The only time that the Fed has cut interest rates is when a recession was on the horizon or during a recession.... So, I guess it must be a duck (instead of a bagel).

9. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That's funny, all throughout the Clinton years, BusinessWeek kept talking about how the unemployement threshold was being proven wrong so I don't believe you when you say that unemployment was worse with Clinton that it was with Bush. Typical rightard tunnelvision

10. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "By one rough rule of thumb, a recession occurs when there are two consecutive quarters -- six straight months -- when the economy shrinks."

Well, 2nd quarter GDP growth was a strong 3.8% (annualized) and an even stronger 4.9% growth in the 3rd quarter. I haven't seen 4Q data yet.

It seems to me though, that if a "recession" arrives it will be due as much to the press (who have been harping about an economic downturn for the past 12 months) as to economic fundamentals.

The media is creating an economic self-fulfilling prophecy.

11. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Tunnelvision? Or, selective use of 'facts'?

12. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    well, they see what they want to see, hear what they want to hear, know what they want to know...

13. Essayons

Essayons Essayons

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just remember one thing: Economists have predicted 22 of the last 3 recessions. Predicting the very large US enconomy is very hard to do and many spend thier whole lives trying to forcast just one small sector. Where I live is doing very well. Unemployment is down and many of the jobs around here are the 'recession proof' type.

14. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You guys in Virginia are funny with your quaint idea that somehow you're swimming in the no-peeing section of the pool. Recession proof, eh? Well, good luck with that.

Of course, you just never know what's going to happen next, do you? In a way, we're like you are here. I'm in North Oakland County which Detroit sees as the suburbs. Oakland is very affluent, well-managed and worlds apart from the big city where the auto show is going on right now. Detroit is in desperate shape with endemic problems that it can't seem to get around. It sucks a lot our money out of us in myriad ways. Every year, it gets worse, it's population dumber and more hopeless. A lot of us like to think that it will be good if Detroit dies. You know, good riddance to a bad piece of real estate, as if it could die and that we won't experience any negative effects because of it.

True, economists are more like weathermen with predictions that don't turn out but one economic principle that you're ignoring is that the U.S. economy is one intertwined organism. You'd be surprised just how much our one-state recession can affect you. Engineers used to see themselves as "recession proof" until companies that employed them found out that they could get some engineer in India to do the same work for a fraction of what a U.S. engineer makes.

Try not to let any of that pool water get in your mouth there, 'k?