1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another downside to E85

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by JackDodge, Aug 13, 2007.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../708130334/1001

Even if E85 was the perfect answer to the Detroit 3's problems, which it isn't, there's a downside to relying heavily on corn for fuel. That is, what happens when droughts cause a big decline in harvest?

2. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Then we'll start planting drought-resistant crops like hemp.

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ethanol is a big smoke screen! When you take into account the lower mpg's you get using enthanol I don't see how this saves any oil. I wish somebody good at math could figure out how much oil is used using regular gas vs. using ethanol. On GM's web site they give figure for using regular gas vs. using ethanol. Most of their cars get about 5 mpg's less using ethanol. I can't see how this is using less oil when the car has to burn more of the product in the tank????? using ethanol

4. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Aug 13 2007, 12:28 PM) [snapback]494732[/snapback]</div>
    Well, yes of course, but the point is the emphasis of E85 has always been towards corn and it never should have been since it's a crop that is very thirsty and very hard on the soil. Hemp and others should be used instead of corn. paprius is right, it IS a smokescreen. The Detroit 3 are always pushing flex fuel vehicles even though most people who buy flex fuel vehicles never put anything but gasoline in them anyway.

5. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Plus another downside is Milk prices, it cost more for a gallon of milk than it does for gasoline.
    milk $ 3.87 whole , $3.49 2%, $3.28 fat free/skim

currently gas here is $2.55 a gallon and a barrell is $77 for oil?
    the bad part is, I over heard a man in the grocery store say " at least gas is cheap now..." Wth. cheap , just what they want you to believe.

what math are they using now? when a barrell of oil was 65.00 gas was 3.25 now Wth

betcha the auto mfgrs are behind this with their lobbyist

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Aug 13 2007, 11:42 AM) [snapback]494705[/snapback]</div>
    I would suspect oil companies have been buying up farmland. One day the crops will be harvested for fuel because there is more money to made compared to selling for food. Then we will have our version of the Irish Potato Famine.

7. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paprius4030 @ Aug 13 2007, 11:36 AM) [snapback]494778[/snapback]</div>
    Using your numbers, and assuming a vehicle gets 15mpg on gasoline the math is pretty straight forward. . . .

After driving 90 miles using gasoline without any alcohol, the vehicle would have used 6 gallons of gasoline.
    ( 90miles / 15mpg = 6 gallons )

If the vehicle only got 10mpg on E85 (the 5 mpg loss you claim). . . .

After driving 90 miles using E85, the vehicle would have used 9 gallons of E85.
    ( 90 miles / 10mpg = 9 gallons )

Since E85 is 15% gasoline, the vehicle would have used 1.35 gallons of gasoline and 7.65 gallons of alcohol.
    ( 9 gallons X 15% = 1.35 gallons)
    ( 9 gallons X 85% = 7.65 gallons)

If we could assume that no fossil fuel oil was used to create the alcohol, then the amount of fossil fuel oil used to operate the car would have been reduced by 77.5%
    ( 4.65 gallons / 6 gallons = 77.5% )

That is how less oil can supposedly be used when the car has to burn more of the product in the tank.

Of course, whether or not the 7.65 gallons of alcohol can be produced and delivered to your tank using less oil than the production and delivery of the extra 4.65 gallons of gasoline is debatable.

8. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Aug 13 2007, 12:48 PM) [snapback]494784[/snapback]</div>
    I'm tired of hearing about E85 and reduced MPG. Yes, with current vehicles from the big 3 the mileage on E85 is lower than with gasoline. However, it doesn't have to be that way. The Big 3 have done a very poor job of making E85 vehicles. Really all they have done is but a sensor in the fuel system so that the engine management system knows to richen the mixture when running E85 compared to gasoline.

To take advantage of the benefits of E85 you need to have a variable compression ratio. E85 has a much higher octane than gasoline and allows for a higher compression ratio. This higher compression ratio allows a great BMEP (Brake Mean Effective Pressure) which allows greater power and efficiency. The easiest way to accomplish this is with a turbocharged that allows variable boost values depending on engine load and fuel type. Do any of the current vehicles sold in the US have turbochargers? NO As has been pointed out, E85 vehicles tend to be large V8 powered trucks and SUV's with low compression engines. They use E85 to take advantage of the CAFE loophole and run quite poorly on it due to reduced performance and mileage.

What's my point? E85 can be a very effective tool used to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels. It is not the technologies fault the the execution has been poor due to US politics.

9. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Aug 13 2007, 10:32 PM) [snapback]495144[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, well, conservation is more effective than E85 in reducing our dependence on fossil fuel and producing a fuel that competes with food is stupid.

10. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Aug 14 2007, 05:40 AM) [snapback]495286[/snapback]</div>
    I agree whole-heartedly. In fact, if you have seen any of my previous posts on the topic you will see that I don't see any one technology as the solution to our energy problems. Conservation will have to be a HUGE part of any solution. However, biofuels will also be part of that solution as well. I don't see this as an "either / or" type of decision.

Corn is a poor feedstock for Ethanol and is only used as a handout to agrobusiness. However, it does not "compete with food" As I pointed out many times, 80% of all grain in the US is fed to livestock in a very inefficient process that gives us 99 cent cheeseburgers. We would be in no danger of limiting our food supply even if we were to divert 50% of grain production in the US to biofuels.

11. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Aug 14 2007, 11:36 AM) [snapback]495353[/snapback]</div>
    Trying telling that to people who buy milk these days. I don't eat much dairy and haven't had a glass of milk in years but a lot of people do and ethanol is putting upward pressure on food prices. It most certainly competes with food. Don't discount what ethanol is doing to food prices. I don't recall what the actual number is but it takes a lot of corn to produce even a gallon of ethanol.

12. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Aug 14 2007, 04:08 PM) [snapback]495601[/snapback]</div>
    Ah milk, think of the children! :eek: Today on NBC had a story about the price of milk just this morning. It has gone from $3.30 a gallon to $3.60 a gallon in a year! It seems that ethanol production isn't the only thing driving up the cost of milk. It seems that as the populations of India and China become more prosperous they are eating more dairy products and we are more than happy to ship it to them.

Other factors:
    The end of small local dairies that relied on grass-feed cows
    An increase consumption of milk due to a successful "Got Milk" ad campagn
    Inflation
    Increased transportation cost due to the increase in gasoline and diesel fuel

If your going to blame ethanol don't forget to blame the tens of thousands of homes that are heated in the winter using corn pellet stoves. A friend of mine goes through a couple tons of corn a year heating his house in Tennessee.

If you want to save on milk drink powdered milk. It is just as nutritious and cost 1/2 as much. It also keeps about forever at room temperature until you mix it.

13. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Aug 13 2007, 07:32 PM) [snapback]495144[/snapback]</div>
    What about cars like the Volvo S40/V50 that are equipped with the T(urbocharged)5 engine? The Volvo S60/V70 also can be equipped with a turbo-charged engine. Oh, and BMW also uses turbo-charging on the 335i cars. Even the Pontiac Solstice GXP (and its Saturn compatriot) have a turbocharged 2.0Liter 4. VW sells a bunch of different models that are equipped with the 2.0Liter turbo 4. Actually, there are a lot of cars that are sold in the U.S. with turbocharging.

14. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Aug 14 2007, 05:52 PM) [snapback]495635[/snapback]</div>
    and it tastes like s**t

15. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Aug 14 2007, 04:52 PM) [snapback]495635[/snapback]</div>
    It's weird how we feed our children milk, taken from another species in nearly constant lactation.

Very strange.

The big increase in dairy consumption came after WWII. Children previously were afflicted with rickets and it was a push by the dairy industry and our government to encourage parents to feed their children more dairy products.

Today, our generally overfed offspring are about as far from having rickets as one could get, I'd guess.

Besides, we actually may have to make compromises here. Cheap motion lotion or cheap food...maybe we simply can't have both all the time?

16. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Actually, 1% milk is a very balanced drink, nutritionally. It has a good ratio of protein/fat/carbs. We drink loads of milk (1%) at our house. We get it delivered by a local dairy. It is VASTLY superior to the typical grocery store stuff (and it comes in reusable glass bottles). They don't use any of the nasty modifiers that are so common in cattle these days. It costs more, but it's worth it.

That said, ethanol will play an important role. The trick is to use it properly, as has been pointed out. Obviously, the corn approach is fraught with problems. However, like electricity, there are many ways to make the stuff. Dedicated energy crops, agricultural residue (think corn stover and the like), forestry waste, municipal waste, algae... Most of these are far better than corn. The problem is the cost of production. Since corn can't possibly fulfill our needs, we've got to look elsewhere anyways. Once these things are more profitable it seems likely that corn will fall out of favour. We have to get away from corn anyways. It's going to get increasingly expensive to produce as the fossil fuel inputs increase in cost.

Pinto, vitamin D doesn't occur in milk naturally does it? I think it's an additive. I guess the milk industry was the first to add it? If kids drank more milk they'd be a helluva lot healthier than they are now. WAY too many carbs (namely sugar) in their diets.

17. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Aug 14 2007, 06:11 PM) [snapback]495758[/snapback]</div>
    What about the FAT content????

18. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The fat is bad, but it's not what's making our kids obese and diabetic. There's WAY too much energy in the food that a lot of kids eat. Then they sit on their arse playing video games and they don't burn any of that energy.

19. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Aug 14 2007, 05:31 PM) [snapback]495656[/snapback]</div>
    I should have said are there any E85 FFV vehicles sold in the US with turbocharged engines. That was my point. I am aware that many manufacturers offer turbocharged engines. These engines would be very good candidates for E85. They would have similar performance and fuel mileage running on E85 as they do on gasoline. In fact, according to "Alternative Fuels Guidebook" by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) an E85 vehicle can achieve 103% of the fuel mileage that a standard gasoline vehicle if it is tuned to run on E85.