1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anticipated price for 2012 PHV prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Michaelvickdog123, Aug 3, 2010.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Poll: 73% of Americans believe that reducing dependency on fossil fuels is important — Autoblog Green

whether the rant is oil, pollution, energy (in)depencence, terrorism, or some other rant ... it'd seem that the ranters are not alone.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, polls are one thing but it's a damned shame that not enough Americans take it upon themselves to DO something significant to reduce their dependence on fossil fuels WITHOUT the government doing a thing. American can choose to buy more efficient cars and dump monstrosity class, guzzling, battering ram of death full-sized SUVs, but noooo... when gas prices are "low" they flock right back to them. :(

I discovered some dismaying (but not surprising) sales stats that I posted at http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-h...ales-recover-bit-14-102-july.html#post1160760.

I haven't had the time to read this whole thread, but even I think that there might not be a great/any "payback period" for a PHEV Prius, whenever we learn of the price. But, this question has come up before for hybrids in general.

Some will ask, why there needs to be a payback period. What's the premium on a BMW, a sunroof or a V8 engine? How much money do they "save"? What's the payback period on those?

How about looking at features that recapture energy that would otherwise be wasted as brake dust and heat and repurposing it? How about emitting fewer pollutants and fewer greenhouse gases? What about being less dependent on a non-renewable resource, of which we import ~60% and of which the US has only ~3% of the world's reserves? We send ~$6 billion/week abroad to pay for foreign oil at current oil prices and consumption rates.

In the case of PHEVs, how about at least guaranteeing a percentage comes from a domestic source, some of which is renewable, w/the possibility of that increasing?

How about paying for the technology itself?

2 people like this.
  3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm guessing here cwerdna that it's a case of somebody else should get a smaller car, but I need my 6 litre v8 monstrosity that seats 8 because.....

There are many fuel efficient cars in the US (not just hybrids), and many more could be sold if the public wanted them. You all know about the super efficient, performance diesels that BMW sell here in Europe, but they choose not to sell most of them in the US.

The BMW 1 series diesel is a huge success here in the UK - it's a 1.8 diesel engine, 0-60 in 8.6 seconds (8.7 seconds auto), 140bhp and capable of 62 uk mpg (52 uk mpg auto). Similar figures to the Prius, yet it's not sold in the US - only the bigger 3.0 litre engine on the 3 series. Missed opportunity.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep... because American solo drivers "need" a monstrosity class SUV (curb weight of 5000+ lbs.) to haul "heavy" groceries and to carry only themselves or a small child or two. :rolleyes:

If only more would buy more efficient vehicles more inline w/actual needs...

If our gas prices became like those the UK, Americans would both scream bloody murder and change their driving and car buying habits in a hurry.

5. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    $8K more for the PHV Prius is insane. You will never make up the $$.
    The Chevy Volt is over priced and now if the $8K is correct the PHV Prius is also overpriced. The PHV Prius only gets 72 MPG. If it was priced $2 - $3 more, that would be worth it.

6. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, 118d is a 2.0 litre engine, and those figures stated are not very easy to reach on practical terms. Only highway, perhaps. And there is also the mpg units messing up things: Diesel and Petrol are different fuels, the first 11% contains more energy per litre burned - regarding carbon footprint, the same mpg coming from Petrol gives a same amount in emission savings.

Missed opportunity is one way of putting things, but we must take in account that Diesel fuel in US is not so "premium" as sold in Europe [later diesels are very susceptible], and usually petrol gives quieter travel, in US with not much higher prices.

Sorry for the offtopic.

7. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is not a MPG figure for PHV car actually, i believe anyone car reach 100+MPG with a PHV Prius, as long as driving 15miles between charges.
    A PHV will be more suitable to anyone that can charge many times, and ICE coming in not so often. That's the purpose of the Volt MkI, which holds a 1.4 engine with an inefficient output, just for the charge sustain mode.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think we all want to see every kind of energy efficiency grow. but it won't happen overnight. you can't sell products for less than they cost forever. i think toyota did a great job setting the pace when no one else believed. now, the market will adjust and grow based on many different factors, gas price and availabilty, technology, competition, what a great to to be alive and watch it all happening!:)

9. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do calculations like this for a living...bridging the gap between technical and economic improvements. Let's see what this one looks like...very roughly.

Assume the plug-in addon costs the buyer $5k over whatever the base car is, and after tax credits...net $5k cash, bottom line.

Assume the battery will last 10 years, with the practical life of the car.

Say, our return rate requirement is 8%. That's reasonable for a car lease/loan or someone's alternate use of the cash.

So, to pay out $5000 over 10 years at 8% means that we need to benefit $717 per year in order to break even.

We're talking about providing an alternate supply source of energy, so let's do the analysis in shaft-kWh (1 kWh at the PSD ring gear).

The cost of electrical power is about $0.08 for 1 kWh from the plug.

Making a shaft-kWh with the ICE requires about (on average, say) 240 g of fuel (based on the BSFC maps). $2.60/ gallon is equivalent to $0.22 for 240g.

I'll be generous and assume only 11% loss from the plug, through the converter/charger, battery, inverter, and motor. So, 1 shaft-kWh from the plug/battery/motor costs $0.09.

The difference is 22-9=13. This confirms what we know, that buying energy as electricity is $0.13/kWh cheaper than buying it as gasoline to be converted, even with a very efficient engine.

Since we need to realize $717/year in savings, the battery needs to provide 5530 kWh per year.

Let's say we can only recharge once per day, and that we're very good candidates for a plug-in. We drive the car 6x per week on average, and can fully drain the (plug-in) battery once per day to exploit it.

52*6=312 discharges. and 5530/312=17.7 kWh.

So, the $5000 battery system would need to have a usable capacity of 17.7 kWh to be a reasonable investment. That means the battery would need a "rated" capacity of probably 20 kWh.

Even at no investment return, it would need 12.4 kWh.

So, a 10 kWh (half) kit (e.g., hymotion) at $10,000 (double). is about 4x too expensive to make any sense.

Of course, if we can recharge twice per day, that cuts the requirement in half. The hymotion is still 2x too expensive.

If the plug-in has a rated capacity of ~10 kWh (~9 usable) and adds $5000, and we can use all 9 kWh twice per day, then the system will justify itself in 10 years @ 8%.

Even better would be to get 2 charges per day, with one of them free (if you have a nice employer). Now the usable capacity requirement drops to 6.6 kWh...maybe ~8 kWh rated.

So, if:
    1. return rate is 8%
    2. you drive 6 times per week, every week, and long enough one-way to drain the battery
    3. you can charge at home for $0.08/kWh, and at work for free
    4. the system adds $5000 after taxes and subsidies
    5. the battery can deliver 6.6 kWh
    6. the system will last 10 years with no maintenance costs
    and
    7. gasoline is $2.60/gallon

the proposition would be what we call economic breakeven.

50 MPG (at 240 g/kWh) is about 4.25 mi per kWh, so your one-way drive would have to be about 28 miles. This is a fairly typical commute, so that's practical too. 17.7 kWh would reqiure a 75 total miles. That's alot more for most people.

The take-home here is that the economic viability and practicality have less to do with batteries (8 kWh would fit in the Prius easily), nor mode of operation, and everything to do with remote-recharging availability and price.

10. Crtnt

Crtnt New Member

Even though I personally am more than willing to pony up at least $5k more for a plug-in just because it is so damn geeky-cool, I want to thank you for this very practical and quite useful breakdown! Best I've ever seen. I don't know if it is appropriate to ask, but I'd also love it if you could run the numbers on a Nissan Leaf using whatever comps you think appropriate. Regardless, thanks again for this.

11. Michaelvickdog123

Michaelvickdog123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    CIT,

Nice/good analysis, but a few corrections/clarifications.

The current US average for off-peak electrical rates are about 11 cents/kWh, not 8....and in some parts of the country, they approach 15 cents.

In the near-term, most will only be able to re-charge the battery at home. Not work, and certainly not on the road...so I would only assume one re-charge per commute trip per day, and done at night when electricity rates are at their lowest. I think for the next 5+ years, this would apply to the vast majority.

But here's where it gets more complicated/nebulous. At least for me it does.

By Toyota's own words, the range (under typical conditions) is 13 miles in electric only mode. No mention if that range applies to highway speeds, or stop and go? But lets assume (more relalistically running the AC/heating and stop and go) the range is closer to 10 miles. In any event, I believe the US average round trip commute distance is now just over 28 miles (round trip). Although I think a better metric for electrical is NOT distance, but time. If I'm stuck in traffic for an hour, no way am I going to get 10 miles of range. But in any event, lets say you leave home with a fully charged battery and go 10 miles in all electric mode, ie, didn't use a drop of gas. Cool. That means the remaining distance (ie 18 miles) - to and from work - will function like the standard Prius hybrid, with the ICE consuming gas to re-charge the battery. That is, based on the assumptions I have made, 64% of your commute distance is running off the ICE (either directly, or indirectly as it works to re-charge the battery). By the way, that works out to an effective 77 mpg (assumes 50mpg in ICE mode)> Coincidentally, this number is very close to the 75 mpg avergae I have read in a number of consumer mags. While 75mpg is nice, with longer commutes, like what I have, that percentage of ICE useage will continue to go up, and the % savings (ie effective mpg will drop from 75) from re-charging off the grid gets diminished as it's averaged. To put it simplistically, if I had a 100 mile commute, and I was only able to go 10 miles from stored energy I got from the grid....90% of my overall transportation cost is determined by the price of gas and the efficiency of the conventional hybrid system. Additionally, I think it should be assumed that under normal conditions, most of the time, when you pull into your garage at night to re-charge, that the ICE will have already re-charged much of the battery for you...so then what is your real energy savings, if say, for example, you only re-charge off the grid 25% of the battery capacity each night?

Additionally - While range is one thing, I would be very interested to see/read some real-world numbers on the amount of time the PHV can run in all electric mode...while heating (electrical heating), heated seats, lights/stereo on, or running the AC? As many of us who live in crowed urban areas already know - it's not always the distance that matters, but due to the congestion, it's the time spent in the car that can be the killer.

As CIT stated, if one has the luxury of being able to re-charge off the grid multiple times through the day (eg., at home, at work, or at a "re-charging station), then the economics of running off the grid work in your favor. But I'm still uncertain that many of us, with average, or lengthy commutes will reap significant savings from being able to plug-in at night, and soak energy from the grid, rather than at the pump?

As I already stated many times - there will be those who buy this car no matter what the price - for environmental, or techno reasons. But for many of us (and there are many), the determining factor of whether to buy a PHV, or just the standard Prius, will depend in large measure on the price point for the PHV. I for one hope Toyota and others making electric and hybrid vehicles can push the prices down so that it gains new converts to the revolution. My fear is that if the base PHV comes in in the high 20's, or low 30's, there will be few new converst to this technology. There will only be a re-distribution of buyers who have already embraced the hybrid way of life. If economics are not a driver, then what's the point of dealing with technology that is not yet thoroughly vetted, and the hassle of having to plug in every night?

NOTE to FLAMERS: I don't begrudge anyone their right to choose whatever car they want to buy. I'm simply stating my case as to why choosing between PHV and non-PHV Prius is NOT as clear cut as some of you make it out to be. There will be MANY who will be on the fence (as I am), and which way we fall off the fence is likley to be determined by economics.

1 person likes this.
  12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    CIT,
    Nice breakdown, although I wish I could find an after-tax 8% return rate
    The only minor quibble I have with your method is ignoring gains from investing the fuel savings. As for the car calcs, I suspect your use of 240 grams petrol/kwh is optimistic for the majority of drivers.

All in all I like your post, and it confirms my back of the envelope calcs that break-even by the end life of the car is about the best we can hope for in the near future. Your comment that charging stations away from home will make PHEV much more attractive is spot on. Buying half the battery capacity is a *big* savings.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wards Auto report 85 MPG (1.7 times 50 MPG) from PHV Prius. In the same report it is stated that Toyota will be putting the real-time MPGs of 150 PHV Priuses on the website (probably ESQ site). That leads me to believe that on average combined all types of trips, PHV Prius should return 85 MPG.

14. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wish I could beat 8% too. I wanted to use something, and I figured the average owner would get the 5g's via a car loan, and 8% would be a reasonable non-subsidized car loan rate.

The 240 g/kWh is probably a little generous. The minimum is about 220, and the 230-240 island is pretty big. I gave the HSD alot of credit to keep it in there somewhere on average. Again, pick a number, 250? Doesn't really change the conclusion too much.

15. Michaelvickdog123

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Yes, and there are plenty of reports on this web site (alone) where people have gotten 65 or 70 mpg in the G3 Prius. But I don't believe that's common in everyday (ie real world) commuting situations - week in and week out.

For grins I tried to maximize my mileage on my SUV while going to work one week, with no AC running, etc. I stayed at, or below the speed limit. Normally I average about 18-20 mpg with my SUV...that week I got 35 mpg. But definitely not the norm.

But yes, it's always possible to get higher.

But I'll stick with an estimated average MPG, for the scenario I described above, of around 75 MPG's for the PHV Prius. Further, I have no doubt the aggregate MPG's will be lower than this, as you drive longer distances from what i used above, or, if your commute time is abnormally long due to heavy congestion. I know people at work that take 45 minutes to go just 5 miles. It's nuts sometimes. If you're using AC (or heat) - two essential things in most parts of the country - how long will the battery last with this kind of battery drain? I honestly do not know. Assume you're not even moving...just AC/lights/stereo and other electricals in the car....how long before the charge is depleted by 25%, by 50%...then take that into consideration when calculating out the total, aggregate comute cost ?

The best solution for this really to make sense (from a cost savings basis) is to have re-charging stations at work, and not simply rely on a single point to re-charge from your home. But I think that is years away before that will happen at most places of work.

16. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I read somewhere that a SAE J1711 standard is almost ready for balancing these MPG for PHEV in the near future.
    It includes full operation in all-modes, and does not combine fuel and electricity, giving MPG and Wh/mi (from plug) separately.
    So this kind of different approaches may have a solution after all...
    Sorry i do not have a link...

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  18. guinness_fr

guinness_fr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have a 100 mile commute, then the Prius Plugin is not for you, period. Stick with the regular Prius and you'll be very happy.

The ICE will never charge the additional batteries of the Plugin system, the engineers at Toyota are not that stupid!

Finally, about sitting in traffic, this will always be much worse with ICE-only powered vehicles than with a hybrid or electric one!

19. Michaelvickdog123

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Your first point - I did not know this. OK, maybe not fully charged...but how will it work when you go your 10 or 13 miles on all electric? Will the ICE come on and fill it back up to 25% or 50% capacity? Or will it remain depleted until you get back home to re-charge off the grid? if the latter, then after 10-13 miles, the car is no different than a 1.8litter ICE powered car, and is NOT functioning like a hybrid vehicle.

By the way, what's the added weight for the PHV Pris? No doubt the bigger battery and electric motor, etc have upped the total weight of the car. By how much? More weight does reduce MPGs. Fact.

Your second point - Oh, I agree much worse in ICE only cars. But my point is still valid as it relates to any car using a battery to help drive the wheels and run the AC/etc (all electric or PHV)...the longer you sit in traffic consuming energy from the battery, the shorter your range will be in all electric mode, OR, the lower your total aggregate MPGs will be in the PHV.

For those of us who live in congested urban environments, the length of the commute is often a bigger issue than the distance of the commute. As I said, i know folks that take 45 minutes (typically) just to go 5 miles. So when someone says an all electric, or PHV has a 10 mile range...the first question i ask is - at what speeds (ie how much time has ellapsed to go that range...

To reitterate what I've said before...it's not as straight forward a comparison/calculation to make. There are a lot of variables and uncertainties that could, and most likely will diminish the energy savings benefits from re-charging off the grid once a day,

20. cycle11111

cycle11111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The last few posts I suggest you read Tony Schaeffer's Dr Rangelove article on his week with the PHV it helps answer many of the usage questions. Also one key point in the article is he pretty much got 14mpg on each use of the EV portion of the car. You can find it at the Prius Chat home or buried in the threads.