1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Idea how to put this back in its place?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by John Speer, Nov 9, 2014.

1. John Speer

John Speer New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My wife came home with this, said she had an issue, but didn't explain how it happened.
    I'm not a body guy, and it looks like there is a hook that needs to reattached, but I'm not sure how to do that, anyone have any suggestions? Prius rear facia 1.JPG Prius rear facia.JPG Prius rear facia 1.JPG Prius rear facia.JPG

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    did you try to push it in?

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suggest marriage counseling.

Was it, she noticed the bumper loose and has no idea what happened? Or is it something happened but she's not saying?

4. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Going to need some new plastic clips. The old ones probably sheared when the car got "bumped."

Bill the Engineer.

5. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's kind of strange though.
    I know through experience that those bumpers are mostly designed to absorb impact...but not bounce back. I'd think an impact strong enough to sheer the clips, would be strong enough to show damage at the point of impact. So I'd think you'd see scratches or an impact point. So I'd ask the OP if he see's any visible damage on the bumper?

If the clips are simply missing?

I'm now wondering if someone wasn't trying to steal the bumper? Got interrupted or just gave up?

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    She probably bumped the bottom edge of the bumper on a parking space stop which was higher than the bottom of the bumper.

Happens quite often with the Prius.

alekska likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was the car 'bumped', or did that panel get 'pulled'?
    This is the first thing I'd try. When doing things to other cars, including removing panels while adding a hitch to another household car recently, many of those clips can be popped without shearing them, and can be popped back on. But not all, I've needed to buy a few replacement clips.

8. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's happened to me...but never caused the clips to sheer off....

I'm just trying to save their marriage.

If someone was trying to steal the bumper? Then that would explain the wife NOT knowing what caused the issue.

Otherwise,- I suspect it happened in the parking lot of a cheap motel as she was meeting her lover.

PS.
    But I do like to write stories.

#8 The Electric Me, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The bumpers are usually held together by clips, you can probably straighten any connecting clips that looks to be crooked and push the bumper back into place. If anything, there would be 1 or 2 bolts holding the end of the bumper. The rest are just clips

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd suspect the bottom lip of the "bumper" (really just a fairing) snagged on some wheel stop curb when pulling away, tried to pull it out, in the position it's in now. Obviously not gonna solve the problem, just an observation. I think it'd be best to remove it completely, see what's happened to to the fasteners.

Attached Files:

11. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh come on!
    Innocent, benign pulling away from curbs?

Boring...

So none of you are willing to believe his wife has been smuggling drugs across the border hidden behind the bumper assembly?

I'm thinking OBVIOUSLY the wife is involved in some covert criminal activity. Probably having an affair with some high ranking drug cartel operative or downwardly mobile Silicone Valley Executive trying to supplement his dwindling income. Using her and The Prius as tools and pawns. This is going to end in nothing but tragedy. Or at least a tearful admission of infidelity.

I'd look for the saliva from the drug sniffing dogs. Dust for fingerprints.

If you guys just want to believe there's nothing here but a loose bumper? Then I think your shaving with Occams Razor a little too much.

The simplest answer...is usually the most boring.

Is the wife missing time? There could be an Alien Abduction angle here too....

If those saucer tractor beams can lift entire cows? They can dislodge a Prius bumper.

Robert Holt and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    It's happened to me... From the pix it looks like it should just snap back into place. At least try that first...

13. John Speer

John Speer New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for all of the suggestions, some were pretty interesting to say the least.
    I went out yesterday, took the rear wheel off the car and removed the two sheetmetal screws. I was able to pull the cover off the plastic shield it was attached to and one of the J hooks from the shield had popped off the body. I was able to pop it back in place, then snap the cover back into place.....................so all is good again. Because this has the PPE factory option is sits pretty low, and although I didn't get under the rear cover to see if the bottom was scraped, I think she got the bottom of the cover hooked on something and it pulled the front edge of the cover out....................just a guess and she says she's not sure how it happened......................I'll leave it at that. I also noticed that the right front of the front spoiler (the piece that is added on for the PPE option) is pretty chewed up from rubbing against something like a parking curb. I would replace it but don't see where you can buy single pieces of the $750 body kit, and Toyota only sells the complete kit, not parts. I bought the car because it looks really nice with the 17" wheels, lowered (my 14 TracPak Mustang is also lowered) and the body kit looks perfect.
    The only thing about the car is the "buckboard" ride with the factory springs.
    Thanks again for your help,
    John

Attached Files:

14. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now I'm REALLY suspicious.

Wasn't your location designated as San Jose California yesterday?- That's why I said "Silicone Valley Executive".
    Today, you're suddenly living in Corvallis Oregon.

Hmm.....well glad you seem to have resolved the problem with the bumper....

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Does she back into parking spots?