1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Apple CEO Tim Cook to climate deniers: “Get out of this stock”

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Mar 22, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Apple CEO Tim Cook to climate deniers: “Get out of this stock” - Salon.com

The next day, Apple stock went from $38.25 to $39.63. But the important point is Apple has a CEO who like Steve Jobs, has a backbone. Time to buy Apple stock . . . they ain't Lemmings.

Bob Wilson

Zythryn likes this.
  2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Is that an unusual one-day price change for Apple? Otherwise, it is (as you imply) certainly not an important point.

I suppose there are people who find many concepts amorphorous, including envtl sustainability. If this limits them to think-tank 'work', it could simply be other potential employers have previously assessed the 'resource'.

Absent (seems to me) from Apple's product field is a much more resource-intensive competing product that people could 'feel good about' buying, like the discontinued Hummer.

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Apple stock, like many stocks, has random variability. That there was one day spike after the shareholder meeting and the price nudged up . . . not really all that important. Just a happy accident. The real issue was whether Apple has a real replacement for the late Steve Jobs.

Apple replaced Steve Jobs with an idiot back in the early 1990s for a couple of years. That guy implemented some of the least capable, most boring Macintoshes ever seen. If I remember correctly, his last straw was to propose building Window clones. In contrast, Steve Jobs had the ability to do 'clean sheet' designs and that is not easy . . . or common.

One characteristic of a Steve Jobs is the ability to hold to a new, unique, technology vision in the face of 'common wisdom.' But these climate deniers thought they would use 'return on investment', an accounting term, to whack Apple's renewable energy projects. They foolishly believed this 'herd term' would buy them something. But Tim Cook told them to sell their Apple stock and that was the perfect reply.

Innovators have the ability to be confident in their own world, their own understanding of what works and doesn't work. They are independent thinkers with the ability to smile and follow their own star without being hooked into 'herd think.' That is where innovation comes from and it is . . . well what real people should strive for. Tim Cook revealed that characteristic . . . in spades.

Accountants have no imagination, no ability to innovate, to make new products that Prius people might buy. GM's bankruptcy actually tracks back to the decision to 'kill the electric car.' If you can not dream, if you can not imagine another world, an understanding of what is not known . . . you're an accountant. You are shuffling the rubble left by those you can not hope to emulate. That was the intellectual poison that killed GM and Chrysler.

So I appreciate Apple and even though I have no idea what new products Apple will come up with, Tim Cook showed one key characteristic . . . the ability to see beyond the stagnate, business as usual, climate deniers. And the quick wit to suggest they need to sell their Apple stock.

Bob Wilson

ftl and Zythryn like this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Don't mean to side track this but,
    Now Macs use Intel, and can run Windows natively. While PC builders make HackIntoshes.

On the OT, I think it was a great response he had.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Using an open source, Linux variant. At work, we run virtual PC machines running Linux. Windows is the last, proprietary OS, a virus culture, screwing up the desktop world.

At work, a contractor is paid big bucks to maintain these 'desktop' systems and reboots them roughly once per week, now usually Tuesdays but it use to be random. For a cheap laugh, I tell my co-workers,"<desktop_contractor_name> makes me appreciate the reliability of Windows 95."
    Agreed!

Bob Wilson

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how long has al gore been on the board? they make it sound like he came in the back door when steve went out the front.

7. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Jobs welcomed Gore to the board in 2003.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    amazing. now these guys act like he's got cook in his hip pocket. what a bunch of hypocrites.

9. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The day after Apple decided it didnt want to do business with 51% the population,Warren Buffet made a statement denying climate change affected losses due to natural disasters.
    http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303630904579418754090426372
    Pretty funny coming from one the worlds largest investors,while putting Cooks foot in his mouth .
    I guess Warren and Berkshire are not welcome to buy Apple stock.
    Ill vote with my feet as well .No purchasing Apple products either.
    I think its a disgusting company.
    Hoarding profits overseas to evade taxes.Unwilling to donate charitably for decades.
    Paying slave wages.
    Apple is so cool it makes sense that gullible climate believers are fan boys.

Porkenstein and xpcman like this.
  10. elsimonaco

elsimonaco New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are you suggesting global warming is not happening?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  12. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Global warming has been occurring since 1850 when the Earths climate came out of a cold period known as the "little ice age".
    Prior to that, the Earth was much warmer than today for most of the past 10,000 years.
    Is global warming happening.Yes.
    Is it caused by man from CO2 .Unlikely.

Porkenstein likes this.
  13. elsimonaco

elsimonaco New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I believe I won't change your mind, but "unlikely" is a poor choice. The intergovernmental panel on climate change uses "extremely likely", which they define as 95-100% for man's responsibility. This is corroborated by nearly every study on the subject (with the rare exceptions of some privately funded ones). I might be missing something here, and I like to have a complete point of view, but could you elaborate on why you use "unlikely"? I mean apart from the opinion of a great investor with absolutely no background in science.

14. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Heres what youre missing.
    Although temps were higher for most of the past 10,000 years CO2 WAS LOWER THAN TODAY.
    (Same with 100,000 years ago ,for 15,000 years , Earths temp was much higher than today while CO2 was much lower)
    Today CO2 has risen but temps have not risen for the past 17 years.
    There is no correlation between temperature and CO2.

15. elsimonaco

elsimonaco New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Unfortunately, this argument does not make sense. You are implying there is only one source of global warming. The necessary time for warming in the last interglacial periods was a few millenia. We are seeing a similar effect over 50 years. The greenhouse effect is well documented. Cheers

16. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Some concepts take a bit of thought before they "make sense"
    Especially when we've been subjected to years of media brainwashing.
    CO2 theortically causes some warming.
    But theres no evidence that it ever controlled climate in the past .Temps rose in the past as quickly as today with no increase in CO2.

What is the responsibility of a CEO to his shareholders?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    to build and maintain a company that will provide value for a long time to come.(y)

18. Porkenstein

Porkenstein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Global warming is a joke. Actually the globe has been warming and cooling since the beginning of time. It's just the wacked out environmentalists who believe it is being controlled by man. I am guess since this is a Prius site lots of you feel that way. Lots of people are making money off it such as Big Al Gore who wastes more energy than probably 10 normal folks with his mansion and private jet. What a joke.

19. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I consider myself to be a wacked out environmentalist as well.In the vein of Greenpeace founder Patrick Moore.
    Whom also thinks CO2 global warming is bull.
    Im for clean air water and natural land.

Porkenstein likes this.
  20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    He licensed Macintosh clones.

I like Tim Cook a lot, but I do not think he can replace S Jobs. Then again, who can ?