1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are these -really- Hybrids?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by David Beale, Mar 2, 2010.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    OK, I know it's "common use", but Prius and most other "hybrids" are not really "hybrid powered cars". They are gasoline (mostly) powered cars with a hybrid transmission.

The coming Prius plug-in, and those Prius that have been converted to plug-in -are- "hybrid cars".

-I'M- defining a "hybrid car" as one that is powered by more than one source of energy. In most of the current "Hybrids" they do have two power sources, but the electric one is just converted and stored gasoline (or other) locally (in the car) generated energy.

A "plug-in" hybrid can run on energy from other sources.

Am I being too picky?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Too picky...They could be powered by just the battery (very briefly) if you charged the battery up. I think the thought is that they propulsion comes, terminally, from a combination of sources.

Further, the term hybrid vehicle is self-defining. The Insight/Prius were built and called hybrid vehicles and thus that's what it is.

Now, if one day we have a nuclear + solar powered hybrid vehicle that truely uses two forms of propulsion I guess we'll have to redefine what a hybrid is.

Further, GM is already trying to redefine it by calling the Volt a REEV (Range Extended Electric Vehicle)...but by the definition you suggest it would be a more 'true hybrid' than would the Prius.

In any case, don't make your brain hurt by thinking it over too much, it's not worth it!

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well technically the Volt is a Series-Hybrid (although I've yet to read any previews that state it. I've even read that the Volt is an EV! Well, the last I checked, EVs had no gas engine in the vehicle).

The Prius PHEV will act like an EV in CD mode but in CS mode, it's almost like a parallel hybrid (since it never really fully charges the battery and leaves that to the power outlet).

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Many tug boats and ships are series hybrid vehicles. A diesel prime mover powers a genset, which in turn powers big electric drive motors.

Most conventional submarines are diesel electric battery hybrids.

Locomotives have been series diesel electric hybrids for many, many years. Some newer ones are starting to incorporate battery packs.

The common thread in all of these is one source of energy, the prime mover, which powers the system through two or more paths.

Tom

5. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's high time we have nuclear-electric cars! There is lots of room where the battery is for the nuclear pile. There should be sufficient distance from the hatch area to the front seats to attenuate any leakage (kids in the back seat, however, might lose their hair occasionally - a small price to pay for efficiency, not to mention a savings in haircuts!).

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I duno ... there are slopes in the CO Rockies, and the continental divide heading north through MT where I'd bet it'd recharge if it were only 1/2 discharged.
    :p . . . . but I get it.

don't even talk that way! If I hear of a hybrid with a fuel cel stack, I'll hang myself.

7. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, I'm all for that!!! These cars could glow in the dark. And in case of a head-on collision, they could achieve critical mass and go nuclear. No mess to clean up and no collision insurance required.

I want mine with the bumper sticker - I'd Rather be Fission.

Keith

1 person likes this.
  8. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius is neither a hybrid nor a purebred. As far as I can tell, it was manufactured with NO genetic material whatsoever.
    Those of you with real leather interiors can do tests to determine if the cowshide used were from hybrids or not.

[Place appropriate smiley/frowny here depending on whether you think this is a good joke or not.]

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    :sick: