1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Attention Rosen Navigation Users

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MrVivona, Mar 12, 2012.

1. MrVivona

MrVivona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Rosen Navagation unit installed in a Santa Fe that has issues with touchscreen calibration that may also affect Prius Rosen units. My Rosen model number ends in P11, just like latest Rosen nav unit used in the Prius. Unfortunately for me, I cannot find any other Rosen users in the Hyundai forums. Fortunately for me, there seems to be a lot of them here in the Prius forum. So, let's see if we can help each other out with a problem you may also have, but not be aware of. I am trying to find out if it is a system-wide software bug, or an isolated issue. Read on.

1. First, go to the Radio mode, touch Menu, Settings and touch the greyed out Keypad in the upper right corner of the screen. A keypad will appear. Enter 7253 and press Enter. The installer settings will appear. Set the RDS switch to ON, or RBDS, if it is not already set. This sets your FM radio to display the Song Title and Artist on stations that broadcast RDS (USA stations). To check RDS, exit the Settings menu and go to an FM station and see if the title and artist of the song appears on the screen. If not, check other stations, not all broadcast RDS data. Once you see that you are getting RDS, go to the next step.

2. Next, check if your touchscreen is calibrated. It is easiest to see screen calibration on the Phone screen. Use a blunt pointed object, like a toothpick, to touch the phone dialpad buttons to see if they react exactly as they are displayed. If you find that you can touch between the buttons and still get a response from an adjacent button, or worse yet, the edge of one button activates the adjacent button, then your touchscreen is out of calibration. See the attached picture for an example of an out of calibration touchscreen. If it is out, go to the Main Menu and look for a Touch setting. Follow the on-screen instructions to touch each “+†until you have calibrated the screen.

3. Go back to the Phone screen and test calibration again. It should be much better.

4. Turn the ignition switch to OFF to fully power down the Rosen. Then turn it back to ACC to power it back on. Did RDS information disappear from the FM radio screen? If so, you have the problem. Turn RDS back on per Step 1 above, then power the radio OFF and ON again with the ignition switch. Check your touchscreen calibration per step 2 above. Did it go out?

The software bug is simply stated as: Calibrating the touchscreen causes RDS to turn off after turning the unit OFF and ON. Turning RDS back on causes the touchscreen to go out of calibration after turning the unit OFF and ON.

That concludes part one of the test. Please post your results.

If I get responses here, I will post how to test your navigation touchscreen calibration. It is most likely a lot further off than the audio screens were, and will create problems particularly when you use the keyboard to enter addresses. The test I will post will demonstrate if you have a software bug that loses Nav touchscreen calibration.

Attached Files:

2. MrVivona

MrVivona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm. It is interesting that there have not been any responses yet. Perhaps a quicker test will temp a few Rosen users to reply. :)

The next time you use your Rosen, just switch to the nav mode, but don't start a route. Then, display the map and touch the screen with a stylus, or your fingernail. A red circle should appear on the map exactly where you just touched the screen. Try several places all over the map. If the red circle always appears exactly where you touched, your screen is calibrated. If not, it isn’t. See the attached picture for an example of a touchscreen that is out of calibration. Note how the red circle is about ½†to the left of the stylus touch.

Then, post your results here. Was it calibrated, or not? It is just as important to know if your screen is calibrated as it is to know if it isn’t. If this turns out to be a common problem with Rosen units, I can help get a bug fix.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

3. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not a Rosen owner.

Can the losing of setting be from a loose ground or a loose constant power.

I say software bug if all is well connected.
    From the company get new firmware.

my2cents.

4. MrVivona

MrVivona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem is consistently repeatable.

For the navigation screen, you run through the calibration procedure and the screen is properly calibrated. You simply turn the unit off, then back on, and the screen is back out of calibration attempt. Checking the SD card in a card reader on a PC shows that a new touch.cfg file had been written to the card with each calibration, so the calibration procedure is writing the file, but upon reboot, the Rosen does not properly read the touch.cfg file, and the screen is back out of calibration.

For the audio touchscreen, you calibrate and the screen is properly calibrated. You then shut down and power up the Rosen and RDS is disabled, but the screen is still calibrated. You turn RDS back on and the screen stays calibrated until you power off and on. Then it comes up with RDS still enabled, but the touchscreen is out of calibration again. So, something about RDS and touchscreen calibration is in conflict such that upon bootup, one or the other can load, but not both.

It certainly seems like a software bug. However, those that have dealt with Rosen will know that they are very hard to convince that they have a problem. I have been trying to get them to fix this problem but cannot get them to act on it. The original installer says they have no idea what to do other than swap out the unit if Rosen approves a swap under warranty.

So, if I can show Rosen that this problem is a characteristic of all P11 units, they will have motivation to fix the firmware. Lacking an official Rosen user forum, the only place I have found a lot of Rosen users is in Prius Chat. You represent a more technically aware group of users and it seems a lot of you have installed Rosen nav units. If this indeed is a common problem of P11 units (the recent model used in the Prius) then I will have the evidence to pressure Rosen to develop a firmware fix and we all win. But if no Prius Rosen users respond, that can't happen.

5. Kentwang

Kentwang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got my Rosen in Jan of last year.
    Couple months ago, my Rosen malfunction. I reset it with a ball point pen. After that my RDS is on but no name show. I had been trying to get the name back but no luck.
    I am in bed now, I may try to check it tomorrow (if I remember). :D

6. MrVivona

MrVivona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rosen tech support would never say if they had actually fixed the touchscreen problem in firmware. They simply sent me a replacement unit and the new one has the exact same defect as the previous unit. So, that indicates to me that it is most likely that all Rosen Primo (P11) models have a firmware bug that causes the touchscreen to not stay calibrated.

I do not think Rosen will fix the firmware unless many users complain and I don't see that happening, particularly among the Prius users here since not even one has taken the time to check his unit and post the results. I guess no one really cares if touchscreen responses are not lined up with the icons on the screen. True?

7. priusdvx

priusdvx New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just tested in my new unit, installed yesterday, Sept 7. The bug appears fixed

8. MrVivona

MrVivona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt it.

9. michinnom

michinnom Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    mine works perfectly, but overall, rosen = junk. i do not recommend it. the gps system is slow and buggy. i keep having to rely on my backup garmin too often. their customer service is also junk. this company needs to learn a lesson...damn fools

10. Bana

Bana New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Persona
    I also have a Hyundai Santa Fe with a Rosen Nav, and the RDS works but the calibration in navigation doesn't. It IS a piece of junk and pretty much unusable now. And I will never consent to have another Rosen in my entire life. I don't have the same model as you, so the instructions aren't pertinent, but the problem is the same.

Never again a Rosen.

11. MrVivona

MrVivona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had to live with the touchscreen calibration problem because Rosen simply denies that it exists, or the few times they have admitted it, they say I am the only one complaining, so they aren't going to spend any time on it.

Now, on the the current Rosen problem. This one probably isn't really Rosen's fault, however. I attempted to update the maps to 2014 Q4 through Naviextras.com. For the Rosen P11, they sell a package containing the USA and Canada, as well as new 3D Landacape views. The only problem is that download package exceeds the size of the 4GB SD card. I contacted Rosen and they said because of the version of Windows CE used in the P11 model, the most it can address is 4GB, but Naviextras is supposed to know that and not offer upgrades that exceed the size the chip can handle. I removed the Canada portion and the new 3D Landscape package and the upgrade fit, BUT there is a problem with the mapset. Any time I attempt to search for an address or POI in a state other than my home state, the navigation function crashes and reboots. For instance, Find> Find Address> Country> United States will crash and reboot the system. I have traced this problem to an issue with the USA-Oregon.fbl file. Any time I try to directly search in Oregon, it crashes the navigation system. Same thing if I scroll the USA map to show Oregon. I have opened a support case with Naviextras.com and they are investigating the problem.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

12. axse23

axse23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello everybody i am totally new to the forum but i am here seeking help. I recently purchased a rosen navigation head unit from ebay however the unit was missing the navigation card and i am desperately looking for the map files. Please if anybody can send me the files i am willing to pay the individual a fair price..

13. Eduardo_vite77

Eduardo_vite77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hola soy nuevo y requiero su ayuda compre un estereo Rosen y el problema es que no venia la tarjeta del GPS, compre en internet un programa IGO 8 porque investigue y trabaja con ese programa, el problema es que me aparece:

GPS nngnavi.exe No se puede encontrar "nngnavi" (o uno de sus componentes). Asegúrese de que la ruta y el nombre de un archivo sean correctos y que todas las bibliotecas deben estar disponibles.

Podran ayudarme?