1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Austinites!

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by McDonald, Aug 27, 2008.

1. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello Texans! So here I am in Boston, Mass. finishing my degree in Music Education and Business. But the boys and I (boyfriend and dog) are planning on moving to Austin in a year and a half. We think it's the best mix of good weather, good jobs for us both, green space/dog friendly, affordable housing, friendly/weird people, eco-friendly, etc!

Well, we're coming to Austin in March for a visit, and we have everything planned to see all the sights, etc. We are looking to buy our first house (not condo or apt) when we move, so we want to check out a few neighborhoods while there in March. As first time home buyers and with starting new jobs etc. we are hoping to find something in the 150-250 thousand range. You know, just something to start us off. But not a fixer-upper in a bad neighborhood. That being said, what are the best neighborhoods? We are looking to be within 5 miles of downtown because we are both huge into biking and city life, and would like to commute to work by bike every day we can, and keep the driving down to a minimum.

Everyone tells me South Austin (78704) is the way to go for us, because people are a little bit left of center there, and it has a life of it's own. But I haven't heard of anywhere to stay away from or. . other neighborhoods!

Anyway, you get the point. I need guidance!

Help Prius drivers!

2. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    South Austin would be a great place to start looking. Consider though, that our housing market has not fluctuated as greatly (in either direction) as the rest of the nation. Houses closer to downtown will be expensive. Although compared to Boston, our stuff is probably cheap!

South Austin is great, East of IH35 is the older side and is mostly 'ghetto', but even then, our crime rate is very low. West of MoPac (which is also called Loop 1, which is also called Burnet in someplaces and FM1325 in other places) are more pricey areas. West of Austin is the Hill Country, and it is named aptly so. There are HILLs. Not little wimpy hills... BIG rolling hills. East of Austin is pretty flat, with lots of farming. North and Northwest Austin are generally nice areas as well. Pflugerville (the 'p' is silent) and Round Rock are a bit further north, but are also very nice areas with great schools.

Austin has tons of personality, with lots of great parks and outdoor things to do. Zilker park is absolutely beautiful, and there are trails all over. If you like biking, biking is huge in Austin. Heck, I almost run over a bicyclist every day! (seriously, some ride like idiots in traffic)

It is also HOT here in the summer. Some years we have 90 days in a row that go over 100º. It can be pretty dry as well. Allergies will KICK YOUR nice person if you have any. Seriously. Allergies here are BAD.

In spite of all of the things that may be construed to be bad, I love Austin and couldn't really see living in any other city in Texas.

3. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Whoa... I just saw that your post was REALLY old. You're probably already here!