1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto-unlock feature?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jimolson, May 27, 2013.

1. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Could someone in this forum who still possesses two functioning SKS keys try something for me? I'd do it myself but I've been running on one key for nearly a year.

Pull the 2032 button battery from one of your SKS keys, thereby disabling the circuit board in it. Put this disabled fob into the instrument panel docking port of your Gen II Prius. The vehicle should still start because an SKS fob contains an RFID chip that is powered by strong RF fields in the docking port, not by the fob's missing 2032 button battery.

Exit the vehicle and try to lock the doors using your remaining (battery equipped) fob. Does the vehicle "smell" the docked (and unpowered) fob and defeat your attempt to lock the car?

I'm trying to determine if Prius' auto-unlock feature (keeps you from locking your key in the car) is tied to the RFID chip in the fob or the presence of a functioning circuit board in the fob.

Thanks.

2. enviroprius

enviroprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not try it with your window down?

3. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    DUH !!!!!!

enviroprius likes this.
  4. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have one limited functioning fob, will only start the car, with that in the docking port my functioning fob did not lock, or unlock (I put the window down) my car.