1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Autoline after hours: Lutz and Detroit Autoshow

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by bwilson4web, Feb 8, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I listen to the podcasts while driving errands so I don't have specific time stamps. These are the impressions I got from: AAH #227 – Watch Out! Bob Lutz is Now a Watchmaker – Autoline After Hours

• Lutz claims the 'styling' of the Fisker will sell the gutted car with a Corvette drive train. Personally, I think a Corvette looks better than the 'whale shark' front end of the Fisker. The Corvette drive train is integrated with the body and the Fisker is a hack.
    • Lutz is or has an effort to put electric drives with a battery pack and range extending, series engine in utility vehicles. All though I agree with the market, I'm skeptical of the architecture.
    • Lutz and the moderators claim our $3/gallon gas is inflation adjusted, 'cheap gas', the energy crisis is over and CAFE is not needed.
    • In the previous show, they discussed the Detroit Auto Show and declared "green is dead."
    So here is everything that drove Detroit into bankruptcy. Their belief that sheet-metal art is all it takes to sell a car. Claims that gas is cheap and CAFE passe while ignoring how existing CAFE is reducing demand in the fleet. They also believe that "green" is a life-style that drives hybrids and completely ignore that saving operating cost may play any role.

The hubris about 'cheap gas' is especially interesting as the first hybrids came in 2000-2001 when gas was about half the price it is today. I well remember the period articles that claimed gas would have to reach $3/gallon to make the Prius 'worth while.' Careful what you wish for, as it might show up.

Now I agree that we need to see hybrid utility and pickups. Just I've seen enough of Lutz's past to suspect these are flawed. But this is the first of his efforts I hope will succeed.

Bob Wilson

cwerdna and telmo744 like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just read that sub prime mortgages are back, repackaged as 'non prime'. those who forget the past are destined to repeat it.:rolleyes:

dbcassidy likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In fairness, I believe gas prices, when adjusted for inflation, are low in comparison to the last 30 years. Seeing how greedy speculators or a blow out in the Middle East can quickly raise it, it would be foolish to declare CAFE unneeded though.

austingreen likes this.
  4. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why doesn't Klutz, er, Lutz go away?

DBCassidy

cwerdna and bisco like this.
  5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO the key line on Lutz's resume should be that his awful car market judgement helped bankrupt GM. Next line is he seems to be able to garner lots of fans in the 60+ age range predicting what will happen in the auto world.

The karma is a pretty car. I don't don't think corvette is nearly as pretty, but represents a great value (low price) for all the performance it provides. The fusion is also a pretty car, but much less expensive. The great thing about the 'vette for those fan bois is that its built in the US and performce great. MOst of the buyers wanted one in highschool That doesn't seem to be a good fit for the karma that is much heavier. How will it compete against say the Lexus RC f or BMW 6
    Lexus RC F is a predatory sport coupe with a 450-horsepower beating heart - Autoblog
    It won't. I am sure there are enough Lutz fanbois to buy a few of these karma conerts.[​IMG]

Architecture is fine, but its Lutz and it will fail, like GM failed. These things are too expensive, and if they take off Ford or GM or Toyota can build a better, cheaper, plug in hybrid.
    Yep and he bet gm would not need efficint cars before gas spiked in the past. How did that work out for the american taxpayers, that bailed him out.

Green is dead this year on the detroit autoshow circuit. That is because all of the previous green vehilces have been anounced before. Nothing new, not that customers won't increase. Now on the greener side we do have the new aluminum boday on boxed steel frame Ford F150, and the above Lexus RC-f with a atkinson V8, but this is nothing like last year with the electics and phvs coming out party.

On Gas prices even analog stoped clocks are right twice a day, so maybe this time Bob Lutz is right. I saw Bob Carter sounding a lot like Bob Lutz recently also predicting stable gas prices and talking about selling hybrids when gas prices aren't going up. Bob Carter also sounds a lot like Bob Lutz used to on Fuel Cell cars, and toyota seems to anounce the same fuel cell mirracles at every auto show.

Now what was Bob Carter thinking about gas prices and building the prius in america back in 2008?
    Toyota projects gas prices to bottom out at $3.50
    Yep, that they wouldn't fall lowre than $3.50 and should be closer to $5 by now, and
    Ofcourse that price floor really is a level that gas is bellow today, and has been most of the time since the statement.
    Historical Gas Price Charts - GasBuddy.com[​IMG]

Ofourse Bob Carter was simply following the auto industry group think. Its amazing when I looked for the quote, I found a site claiming gas would be much higher.
    Toyota Projects Gas Prices To Hit $5.00 By Middle Of Next Decade, We Think They're Being Optimistic

Now imagine if Bob and Bob are right this time, and I don't see why we won't have stable gas prices for a few more years before going up. Given easing tensions with Iran and more North American oil, I doubt the wall street speculators are going to bid it up to the crazy 2008 levels for awhile. Then Carter's stopped clock correctness may also be true, that we need to raise fuel taxes if the country is going to sell more efficient cars. Hey he was wrong about the SUVs being a great place for GM to be, that doesn't mean phevs and higher oil taxes aren't a good idea today.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was listening to part of the podcast this afternoon and was reminded they also discussed 'light-weighting' part of a virtuous cycle. They also went into aluminum. Lutz said somethings I agree with that pilots tend to obsess about.

Bob Wilson

austingreen likes this.
  7. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Lutz is probably only wrong 70% of the time.;)

cwerdna and bwilson4web like this.
  8. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oil price may be driven by the increasing difficulties in prospection and production: deeper, harder, less API grade...
    Certainly the price will rise over time.

And given the earth atmosphere 400ppm CO2 threshold soon to be reached, diverting from "green" seems pretty stupid.:confused:

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There will be temporary changes in fossil fuel prices but eventually, recovery will be too expensive. As for CO{2} induced, global warming, the experiment started before we were born and the results won't be known until my cremated corpse is long forgotten.

Bob Wilson

10. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely, but this does not mean prices due to speculation, underestimation of reserves, and long term prospects of switching to other energy (plug-ins, biofuels) has not gotten ahead of itself.

Short-Term Energy Outlook - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
    EIA expects slowly declining oil price trends for this year and next which are why both bob carter and bob lutz are echoing the prediction. Could it be wrong? Sure. Their could be a war with canada that closes the border and drops out much of canadian oil from the world market until they can build infrastructure to send it to china. The european economy could heat up, or china could go to 10% growth rate. There could be war or revolution in Iran or Saudi Arabia. But none of these things are likely in the next couple of years. Go out decades and one could defiitely happen. Deutch Bank put out this prediction in 2009, so it should not have been totally unexpected.

I don't think any of the car companies except maybe Lutz's via is turning less green, and lets put that in perspective, they want to convert 25 cars, which isn't much. Also I don't think many buy cars for low co2, and it would be strange if they did. Say you get 10% of the efficient cars to put out half the ghg, that would not even be a rounding error in the ppm in the atmosphere. It would cut oil imports for that country though, a much more achievable goal, as buying a more efficient car does nothing to reduce the number of coal power plants being used in asia.

So lets look at where lutz gets it wrong. He wants to end cafe to help his own company, which when oil gets more expensive hopes to convert trucks to plug-ins.

Then where he gets it right is oil prices in the short term are stable to declining. That is a great time to add a gas tax in the US, which may encourge more efficient cars more than cafe standards do.