1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Automatic day/night GPS setting.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by RickThom1, Mar 3, 2012.

1. RickThom1

RickThom1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a new 2012 Prius III. I can not get the automatic setting on the GPS to work. It will not go to the night time setting. The dimmer control is not in the indent position. Only way I can switch it is manually....anybody got any suggestions?

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Read the manual. IMO the nav settings are not intuitive. If it's not the dimmer switch it is the settings in the unit.

3. RickThom1

RickThom1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Thanks, but I have read the manual, plus spent 2-3 hours messing with the problem. I have the setting set to "automatic" on the day/night menu. I don't
    know what else I can read in the manual besides that....

4. HaveNoCents

HaveNoCents Conservative Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If your headlights are set to automatic it should work. If it doesn't then you have something to talk about the next time you see the dealer.

iPad ?

5. RickThom1

RickThom1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do not have an automatic position on my headlights. I know the manual shows it but on my 2012 Prius 3, there is no "auto" position for the headlights. Guess I will have to take the car to the dealer and see if they can figure out what the problem might be.

6. HaveNoCents

HaveNoCents Conservative Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    When you put the headlights on manually does the navigation screen change to black? If it does, that is as automatic as you are going to get. I have a 2011, and a 2012. The screen goes into night mode on both models as soon as the headlights come on. The 2012 has automatic headlights so it does it automatically. On my 2011 without auto headlights I have to turn them on manually and the screen will blacken as long as the dial is not in the indent position.

7. RickThom1

RickThom1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, if I put the headlights on manually, the navigation screen stays in the "day mode." Only way I can get to the night mode is by going back to the menu and manually putting in "night mode"...just won't switch over automatically from day to night...

8. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Do you also have a brightness dial on the left side of your Prius. Most of them are put at 'maximum'. Try putting it slightly lower. On my Prius v, the console lights were put to maximum, but if you lower it, you feel it 'click' and the brightness dims just a little, but should now act based on headlights.

9. RickThom1

RickThom1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I agree, it should do that but it doesn't. In my initial post at the top, I stated that the dimmer (brightness) control was not in the indent position...thanks anyway for your input. Looks like I will have to take this back to the service department at the dealership to help.

10. Steve Sholkoff

Steve Sholkoff New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have had the exact same problem and failed fixes as RickThom1. Any solution yet? [email protected]

11. Steve Sholkoff

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just solved it for my 2012 Prius 4, coincidentally with upgrading Entune, which likely had nothing to do with it. Press "Set up" Select "Display" in the upper right corner. You will see a "Day Mode" box with a side stripe. Deselect that so "Day Mode" only is in the box. Voila. Please note, for this to work, the headlights must be on and the brightness control wheel must not be locked in the maximum position.

12. Steve Sholkoff

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Please see my recent reply. [email protected]

13. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just check this video out on how to adjust it. Hope it helps.