1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Automatic Headlight usage?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ibmoses, Jun 8, 2014.

1. ibmoses

ibmoses Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I have a 2013 Prius Two, it has the automatic headlights.

On my wifes Nissan and my Corvette the automatic headlights turn the lights both on(when needed) and off.

The automatic headlights on my Toyota only turn the headlights off.

So I guess my question is(trying to make sure I am understanding how they work)...

Just turn the headlights on all the time and let the car turn them off automatically each time when the vehicle is shut off?

Any potential for damage to the 12V or hybrid battery because of the small drain for however long it takes for thr automatic lights to shut off?

Any other reason not to leave the lights on all the time so I dont have to fool with remembering to turn them on when its raining or in low light conditions where I may not think to turn them on until its obvious they are needed?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why not use your DRLs? The 2013 Prius has LED DRLs that can be set to come on automatically whenever the headlights are not on for increased visibility of your vehicle to those around you. I believe the setting is selected in one of the MFD setup screens.

SCH-I535

3. ibmoses

ibmoses Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have the DRL's activated, they are great BUT they are not headights and no taillights or side markers are activated when the DRL's are used.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can leave the headlights on all the time. You can change the delay time that the headlights stay on after you turn off the car, again, in one of the MFD setup screens. You can change the setting to 0, 30, 60, and 90 seconds.

Using your headlights during the day, you'll need to crank the dash illumination potentiometer dial all the way up till it clicks for maximum brightness and overrides the light sensor for dashboard illumination so you can see the display.

SCH-I535

JimboPalmer and ibmoses like this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is normally referred to as 'Auto-off', not as real automatic headlights. That later term is reserved for systems such as the Nissan and Corvette you mention.

On two previous cars without DRL but with auto-off, I just left the headlights on full time and had no problem. With this Prius with DRL, I've gone back to using the headlight switch again.

6. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    My 2010 Prius Advanced Tech has automatic headlights and DRL's... but as a Canadian model DRL's are on everything up here. The auto headlights rely on the dash mounted light sensor that is also used with the a/c system and dash lighting intensity.
    There are several changes to the specs between US and Canadian models.

Roland